Seiko on chrono24

Masshole
Facebook ID: 0

Seiko on chrono24

Post by Masshole » May 1st 2021, 7:37pm

Hey everyone,

I’ve been eyeballing the vintage Seiko 6139 Pepsi with the dark blue dial on chrono24. The exact watch Ed Harris wore in Apollo 13. Are they a reputable seller?

My question is that the price is all all over the place by different sellers. I can see a very good condition for as much as 2100, to another very good condition for 550.

I’ve never purchased anything vintage so I’m sort of lost. It does seem like the watch can still be serviced and if needed, fixed by seiko.

Any input will be much appreciated
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Re: Seiko on chrono24

Post by jason_recliner » May 1st 2021, 7:47pm

Great watches but a bit of a minefield. Quite collectable so there are a lot of frankenwatches out there. Unless you really know what you're doing - you don't - and really want an original, collectable, museum style piece, I recommend getting a cheap one that's been restored / reconditioned, wear it, enjoy it, and don't worry that it has an aftermarket bezel insert or hands or whatever.

Like any mechanical watch these can be serviced and repaired ad infinitum. Seiko doesn't supply old parts so a large aftermarket industry does. Great if you want a good looking watch in good condition with vintage style. Potentially troublesome if you're paying big bucks for an "all-original" piece.

Not sure how much research you've done but the 6139 is a really good movement. It's a column wheel chronograph, which is a far superior mechanism to that find in the 7750, the most common chronograph movement. It's also historically significant, being the first automatic chronograph movement in production.

My first good watch was a 6139 'helmet'. I dropped out of the hobby for a while and Photobucket subsequently shifted to a user pays model so unfortunately I don't have access to any of my pics.

The main downside of the 6139 - and any chronograph - is that they're expensive to service. Try to get one that's been recently serviced and keeps good time and you won't have to query about it again for many years.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Masshole
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Masshole » May 1st 2021, 8:04pm

jason_recliner wrote:
May 1st 2021, 7:47pm
Great watches but a bit of a minefield. Quite collectable so there are a lot of frankenwatches out there. Unless you really know what you're doing - you don't - and really want an original, collectable, museum style piece, I recommend getting a cheap one that's been restored / reconditioned, wear it, enjoy it, and don't worry that it has an aftermarket bezel insert or hands or whatever.

Like any mechanical watch these can be serviced and repaired ad infinitum. Seiko doesn't supply old parts so a large aftermarket industry does. Great if you want a good looking watch in good condition with vintage style. Potentially troublesome if you're paying big bucks for an "all-original" piece.

Not sure how much research you've done but the 6139 is a really good movement. It's a column wheel chronograph, which is a far superior mechanism to that find in the 7750, the most common chronograph movement. It's also historically significant, being the first automatic chronograph movement in production.

My first good watch was a 6139 'helmet'. I dropped out of the hobby for a while and Photobucket subsequently shifted to a user pays model so unfortunately I don't have access to any of my pics.

The main downside of the 6139 - and any chronograph - is that they're expensive to service. Try to get one that's been recently serviced and keeps good time and you won't have to query about it again for many years.
Thanks for your input. This particular one is listed as recently serviced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » May 1st 2021, 8:13pm

I have no idea about the seller. Call me a racist arsehole but I wouldn't buy a vintage watch from Turkey unless I knew the seller well.

$550 seems expensive to me but I've been out of the game a long time and the Covid tax seems to have hit watches worse than just about anything else (except Pokemon cards maybe). I paid about AUD300 for my 6138-7100 white helmet in 2008ish from a jeweller. That was very high at the time, but it was a good one. They seem to run for $US600+ now so what do I know?

The watch looks good in the pics. Personally I prefer the 7100.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DoctorIvey » May 2nd 2021, 12:56pm

My very first watch was a Seiko flyback chrono, 7017-6010. I found a picture of it on the web, but don't know how to upload it. My nephew has it now, a relative bought it for me (I was only 8, almost 9) in the Summer of '70. Needless to say, I love these, and they have a lot of nostalgia for me. There is a lot to recommend, but a lot to beware of as well.
For one thing, there are parts of these watches (e.g. crown, pushers, bracelet) that are simply not as robust as what we are used to. In part it's due to modern technology, but in part it's due to the fact that it's Japanese. They are building things for smaller people who tend to be more careful and appreciate the art of subtlety. And can't punch their way out of a wet paper sack.
So I would prefer to see one in person, and if that's not possible purchase from a well known seller. Even then, plan to spend a little more on service. That tends to be true of any 50 year old watch, but I'd say even more so with an Oriental chrono.

Return to “Seiko”