So JS has been fired. BFD!!

sandoz

Re: So JS has been fired. BFD!!

Post by sandoz » April 2nd 2011, 7:12am

I ask myself why i went skelton/invicta proof from 1st exposure and seemingly intelligent former geeks like bigjimz didnt. All I can do is describe my own experience. I had seen lying con men before and to me jim was exactly that. My initial sighting of him was 7 or 8 yrs ago when I read js reviews of invictas on a otherwise objective watch review site. His reviews of these japanese engined watches of unmentioned origin were way more positive than just about all of those of 5 figure fine swiss watches (and their were plenty from ap to zenith). I knew just enuf about watches to know that that was BS and enuf about grifters to know they are getting paid off. So i steered clear of invicta from then on. When he unfortunately turned up on TV he looked and acted just like what he was-a crashing bore and crook.
Kudos to koi for getting a measure of justice against this character.

Post by Guest » April 2nd 2011, 7:21am

It is a pity that we are now compelled to offer up justification for our continued existence on WL's.

I have never owned an Invicta, or any other TV watch. My experience is probably quite different from most here, in that I had never heard of Zeta male grifter nor knew much of anything about Invicta, Laylo, et al before joining Geeks several years ago.

I joined because the site offered a subforum in my area of expertise, and I mostly confined myself to that subforum. It wasn't until I tangled with JS over a particularly nasty lie he was promulgating in aid of Laylo, concerning an especially dear piece of horological history, that he appeared on my radar. It was also at this time that I "met" Koi, as he was in the process of exposing the same lie.

After I discovered the true and disturbing nature of the place, I left WG's, not to return (and having the grumpy user hack applied) until after contributing heavily to a horological article that broached the very same subject. Shortly before it was published, I rejoined WG's under another name and sat waiting for the news to reach the troubled shores of Geekland. It hit with gale-force winds, and I emerged to question Skelton once again under the guise of a new geek who was searching for an elusive (and imaginary) Invicta grail. It would appear that I emerged too far into the light, aroused suspicion, and was banned (again).

I had stumbled across this site once before, remembered Koi and his efforts, and decided to join in the mayhem as it tended to focus on exposing the foibles and lies of Skelton, Laylo, and the dreaded Geekland.

I must admit, I have taken a great deal of pleasure in watching so many tear down Skelton, and am particularly satisfied that most of the damage was self-inflicted - with the aid of so many loaded revolvers that this site left laying around for JS to contemplate. I would hope the same happens to Laylo, Invicta, and WG's.

However, WL's has become, as Ditchdoc alluded above, far too Animal Farm-ish for my tastes, and I take this thread as an invitation for all but a few to leave.

I accept the invitation.

Regards,

-k
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » April 2nd 2011, 7:32am

I know for my self I stumbled across shopNBC and Skelton by accident. I never had beeen to a watch site before.
I had always loved watches as had my Dad. My Dad had a collection of fine pocket watches. I had the obligatory Movado Museum, an old Seiko and a daily wear Guess. In my younger(richer years) had a Presidential and a vintage Omega.

Skelton stoked my interest again. He also turned me on to watch forums. I was also trying to become a softer gentler version of myself(didn't work).

I threw away several thousand dollars on TV watches. Gave away most of them...sold a couple...and really did throw away a bunch.

I was a decenting member of WG's for the last year I was there. I knew the con was on for real when Flame Fusion came out. I was Grumpy hacked 3 times.

But, I am a ex Watch Geek and every time someone broadly paints all geeks with the same brush it kind of pisses me off
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 2nd 2011, 7:46am

I am going to say something here, no one has to justify being here. I do not care if you are a current or former geek. I do not care what the state of your collection is or how much you know about horology. What I care about is that you enjoy yourselves, maybe learn something more and contribute at times.

As far as the JS bandwagon, a lot of us figured out early on that JS was a greasy type. Many more did not which does not surprise me. People like him rely on personality to draw you in. From Cigar forums to Watches forums he did that. Some caught on in short order and still followed albeit with reservations and one eye open, others did not until the truth hit them in the face like a wet fish, and some still follow.

For those as Foghorn says, who are reveling in his termination at shop who are also new to the train, I say enjoy it. For WG here, new and old, try to fit in which does not mean you have to bash Invicta or shop. It means read with an open mind, research, grow as sometimes we old guys forget, we had to. No one is born a WIS, it is something you grow into over time.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Aqua Homer » April 2nd 2011, 8:09am

See, this is where guys like Big Jim, Ken, and Trevor get all butt hurt over being called ex-Geeks. You guys are not in the same category and you know it. Stop getting offended when we talk shit about Geeks. You guys were out early, and knew what the fuck was going on.
CA Crew

Post by CA Crew » April 2nd 2011, 8:26am

I do think it's a BFD. For 6 years, I've been waiting for the day Skelton got fired. Either that or convicted of something, anything he's done.

One reason boatloads of people haven't been able to "get over" Invicta, Skelton, Eyal, in my opinion, is because they kept pulling the same vile scams on people and there were NO apparent serious consequences. Ever. Not even one. Those people just kept making more money.

The physics of cause and effect on this one have been out of whack for years. At last, there has been one consequence congruent with the wrongdoing.
sandoz

Post by sandoz » April 2nd 2011, 9:48am

kmt wrote:However, WL's has become, as Ditchdoc alluded above, far too Animal Farm-ish for my tastes, and I take this thread as an invitation for all but a few to leave.

I accept the invitation.

Regards,

-k
bye :OOOL:
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » April 2nd 2011, 10:05am

eddiea wrote:
I said this to you Jim , I'm yet to see a post from you, that is not worth reading or makes no sense... I could be wrong but think, foggy is refering to a different kind of ex (or still geeks) and or characters in general, that come here with an agenda and a mind set that defies any logic.

Correct eddie.
Guys like Jim and a couple of others are in a different league than the ex-geeks I refer to. I would never even suspect some members here to have ever been at WG if I weren't reminded of it once in awhile. Some very savvy people have come here AG (after geeks) but most seem to still be infected and may be immune to the cure!
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 2nd 2011, 10:10am

CA Crew wrote:

One reason boatloads of people haven't been able to "get over" Invicta, Skelton, Eyal, in my opinion, is because they kept pulling the same vile scams on people and there were NO apparent serious consequences. Ever. Not even one. Those people just kept making more money.

Yet they returned "scam after scam" to keep drinking the potent nectar called kool ade.
Fool me once.................................
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » April 2nd 2011, 10:19am

Never heard of him, it or any of you until I had some health issues (like so many others) that kept me bedridden for over a year. After I watched every episode of JAG, Law'n Order, etc. ever made, read "War and Peace", "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", "Ulysses" and "Gravity's Rainbow" (twice); worked 4 volumes of collected "New York Times" crossword puzzles and wore out an XBox controller on "HALO", I stumbled onto ShopNBC and a Skelton watch show.

As the long time owner of a bunch of watches from classic Swiss marques, I obviously had an interest in watches, so I was intrigued by a television show dedicated to selling watches. Had never considered myself a "watch collector" or imagined that were online "clubs" of watch enthusiasts. It would simply never have occurred to me to talk about or compare wristwatches with a bunch of strangers. So, in that respect, Skelton was responsible for my renewed interest in watches.

Being a "second level" viewer and as an adult, not my first clambake, it was immediately apparent that he was a carny grade snake oil shill and a mountebank through and through, but the watches looked pretty good until I took his advice and went to Watchgeeks.net and despite the general pimply sophomoric "rah rah" tone of the place, started reading posts regarding the "iffy" pedigrees, overenthusiastic claims, ongoing quality issues and less than stellar customer service of the various Shop brands and especially Invicta.

As a cynical "glass half empty (and dirty to boot!)" kind of guy in general, my take away from that was "don't buy 'em" - so I didn't, except for an 8926 Pro Diver and its tutone 8928 twin from a DoD site for $50 each. Still no kicks about either of those two. Rock solid. Nonetheless, there was enough of general watch interest on the forum to cause me to join. From that forum, I heard about others, including Watchlords. As soon as I visited this site, spurred on by about the dire warnings of the "Kool Ade kids", I realized that indeed there were others who felt the same way about Skelton and Invicta and in fact had the skinny - chapter and verse about the various deceptions, "innocent" misstatements and cover-ups that resulted in locked or scrubbed threads at WGs and are used to siphon the dollars of the unwitting or worse, the "true believers" who keep buying despite that nagging certainty that they're being fleeced.

And now Skelton is gone, done in by his own (so we like to believe) lies or better yet, ignominiously shown the door through the efforts of those here whom he had wronged. I hope that is truly the case and that he will soon hear that knock on the door that will spell retribution in full. So, hurrah to those of you who were the first to say "bullshit", those who were banned and vilified on other forums and those who founded Watchlords as a haven of free speech, unfettered opinions and uncensored discussion of watches and whatever else sticks in our individual or collective craw - I salute you.

As far as "geekishness", forum membership, worthiness and such, I'm not sure where you intend to draw the line. Let me say that I'm still a member there, a member here since Sept. of last year and a member on some other watch fora as well. I post whenever and wherever I see something that interests me, when I have something to say, or as I simply see fit. I don't sip anybody's particular brand of beverage and I obey the rules common among gentlemen. As far as speaking my mind on Watchgeeks, despite Lumpy, Chiefy, Ronnie or any of the rest of the 7 dwarves (including poor sad little Blue) it has never been a problem to convey exactly the shade of meaning I wish to convey, whether positive, negative or purely contemptuous.

As someone more eloquent said "tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." As a result, many geeks have already booked tickets without really knowing why. I believe that membership in any particular forum does not mean that all members share the same mind set, nor does membership in any one forum preclude membership in another with the sole paranoid exception of the policy of those who stand to lose face and credibility at WGs.

And, as far as balls, gentlemen - I brought mine with me.
"...and I shan't quit ripping them till I do get buckled!"

J the R 1888
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 2nd 2011, 10:22am

sandoz wrote:
kmt wrote:However, WL's has become, as Ditchdoc alluded above, far too Animal Farm-ish for my tastes, and I take this thread as an invitation for all but a few to leave.

I accept the invitation.

Regards,

-k

KMT is a good guy who along with another not at this forum called out Invicta and JS about the Russian Diver and other issues.

1946-2006

foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 2nd 2011, 10:29am

Good post Falstaff.
I mainly refer to the members here whose main contribution is a "Fuck you Skelton suck a big dick" variety. Sorry that so many eloquent former geeks took exception.

From my original post-

"Hopefully all of you who have nothing to offer except for an occasional "Fuck you JS" and like comments will eventualy get bored and go away and the real WIS will hang around.
What irks me the most are those of you that spent so much time at WG,SNBC, etc. and never made so much as a peep until Watchlords got traction and show up now with a pseudo set of balls and a new outlook on watch fora."

CA Crew

Post by CA Crew » April 2nd 2011, 12:36pm

kmt, if you're still around, please stay. As others have said, you're not "that kind" of member.

However, if you don't care for the tone, language, calling out, piling on posers, etc., then I wish you well with much good will.
sandoz

Post by sandoz » April 2nd 2011, 5:24pm

koimaster wrote:
sandoz wrote:

I accept the invitation.

Regards,

-k

KMT is a good guy who along with another not at this forum called out Invicta and JS about the Russian Diver and other issues.
He may be a good guy but imo is a little too thin skinned when he lets another's post drive him off of the only forum that allows real free speech. No forum fits anyone's needs perfectly.
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 2nd 2011, 5:25pm

Rusty wrote:Seems like a bit of catharsis going on. I hope everyone heals so we can get on with talking about watches and not the charlatans who market them.

I LOVE CHARLA-tans!! (sorry kevin)
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 2nd 2011, 6:11pm

Rusty wrote:Seems like a bit of catharsis going on. I hope everyone heals so we can get on with talking about watches and not the charlatans who market them.

Aside from some shots at him out of habit or his stumbles, I think JS is old news for most of us. If he lands elsewhere, all bets are off.

1946-2006

Post by Guest » April 5th 2011, 8:03am

I was going to skip posting on this topic, but fuck it. I joined here because someone at BDWF told me about it after I got banned at WG. They said I can say what I want, when I want it and that is all I care about. Other than stating the above, I don't feel I have to justify shit to anyone. Like me or not, I don't care.

I am here to stay and to learn more about watches which are a passion of mine without some jackass banning or censoring me.

Post by Guest » April 5th 2011, 8:19am

Lucky for me my first invicta died right away, so I didn't get suck in as many other members. So, I can give a rats ass about JS being fired. But it's being banned for speaking the truth on the other hand kinda sucked. What goes around, comes around.

I am sure JS has a ton of bad Karma, I wouldn't want to be that guy.
DX
Watchlord WIS

Post by DX » April 5th 2011, 9:59am

I've been around before the rise of the machine and I'll be around long after...

As far as I'm concerned this topic of what's his name is null and void.

Old news... I won't comment again about what's his name... Unless he raises his greasy head again.

Last edited by Anonymous on April 5th 2011, 3:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » April 5th 2011, 10:56am

falstaff,

That was a tremendous post. Well done.

My only thought right now is that there are degrees of WGish behavior - the recent thread about actually comparing watch designs and throwing IWG in the vat with real brands a perfect example. I'll say it again: Those coming here waving the big yellow flag had best be prepared to defend such patently ridiculous fan boi rants. Those are the posts that make the skin crawl up, self-styled WIS or not.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe

Post by Guest » April 5th 2011, 12:00pm

Aqua Homer wrote:See, this is where guys like Big Jim, Ken, and Trevor get all butt hurt over being called ex-Geeks. You guys are not in the same category and you know it. Stop getting offended when we talk shit about Geeks. You guys were out early, and knew what the fuck was going on.

Mike, i dont get hurt because it was a learning experience and if i would have never joined WG's would'nt have known there were places like watch forums! I chaulked it up as a mistake along time ago but at the same time met some good people, learned that people will say almost anything to keep food on their table or 4 bikes in the garage! The only real problem i had was with having to prove my omega seamaster was real and broke the red paint chip off the caseback to show the movement (fuck you Brad) and getting banned long after i had left Image and the reason, i was just there to sell watches...when youve got a shit load of invicta where else could you sell them! Image The real reason was is that i was one of the first groups that left them, how dare i do that to them and never went back unless to bust HorseTracks balls and i'm sure that was another reasons for the banning but i can honestly say there isnt a day i think about that place and wished i was back there, get out into the real froums and learn that everyone not just WL's or XMT when we could.. everyone thinks of you turds as brainwashed douchebags! Image

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”