So JS has been fired. BFD!!

foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

So JS has been fired. BFD!!

Post by foghorn » April 1st 2011, 5:07pm

First off,I am not afraid to say that the fact that he is no longer spewing his BS in his unmistakenly amateurish (read "professional" in TV sales terms) presentations, pleases me to an extent.
But I can't really get too excited since I figured him as a con man long before he was ever on TV sucking in a vast amount of the "newer" members here.
Hell, I left and gave up an owners share of a forum that I once was a charter member of because of JS and MD long before many FG (former geeks) ever bought their first watch!
I suppose I should make this long rant short by stating that many of those who are celebrating the "letting go" of JS are the very same people who brought him to his pseudo-prominence. I wonder if the gullibility that brought you all to JS and WG is directly related to what turned you against him and brought you here.
Say whatever you want here and be assured that your opinions won't be squashed by MD or GTWG but,please, make the comments somewhat pertinent to the topic at hand.
Hopefully all of you who have nothing to offer except for an occasional "Fuck you JS" and like comments will eventualy get bored and go away and the real WIS will hang around.
What irks me the most are those of you that spent so much time at WG,SNBC, etc. and never made so much as a peep until Watchlords got traction and show up now with a pseudo set of balls and a new outlook on watch fora.

Bite my shorts!! Image
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: So JS has been fired. BFD!!

Post by Aqua Homer » April 1st 2011, 5:22pm

Agreed. Hating Zeta male grifter is certainly nothing new. It has been done at bdwf,pmwf, wtf, et al... Geeks found this site and think they are something special now. They bandwagoned Skelton and Geeks, now they will bandwagon us...same mentality really, just a different venue.
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 1st 2011, 5:26pm

WatchDorks.Net wrote:Get up on the wrong side of the asylum this morning, didja? Image

Nope-not at all.
Just a bit perplexed why so many are so happy about something that is finally over even though they were part of the problem and are now rejoicing in a result that they had nothing to do with.
Kudos go to Alain ( who many of you believed to be full of shit until recently) for his relentless pursuit and it bothers me to see so many jump on the bandwagon so late.
How long were you a WG member?
foghorn

Post by foghorn » April 1st 2011, 5:32pm

Aqua Homer wrote:Agreed. Hating Zeta male grifter is certainly nothing new. It has been done at bdwf,pmwf, wtf, et al... Geeks found this site and think they are something special now. They bandwagoned Skelton and Geeks, now they will bandwagon us...same mentality really, just a different venue.

Yup!! You can already see it in some of the responses to this thread.

Eau de Geek is a popular fragrance here recently and these latest developements might very well be a Godsend as far as bringing out the geek in some.
lucky13

Post by lucky13 » April 1st 2011, 5:39pm

Never liked the guy, never liked the mods and never really knew there was much else out there. I spent most of my time in FSOT forum and was banned twice. Just found it amusing and yes I am happy Jim got canned and all the Invicta BS came out. I sold every Invicta I owned...even a SAN II 7750 still wrapped because I couldn't stomach the brand or the man pushing it. I even raved about the SAS and how great it was until I found out they lied about the screws on the bezel being "real" and there being 40 something pieces to the case alone.

I consider myself a newbie and like I said never thought I needed to go elsewhere. I was wrong. I am not here to vent about that site, the assholes who own it, the schmucks that mod. it or the lame company that supports it. I think in my short time here:

And I thank you for that
eddiea

Post by eddiea » April 1st 2011, 5:56pm

foghorn wrote:
Aqua Homer wrote:Agreed. Hating Zeta male grifter is certainly nothing new. It has been done at bdwf,pmwf, wtf, et al... Geeks found this site and think they are something special now. They bandwagoned Skelton and Geeks, now they will bandwagon us...same mentality really, just a different venue.

Yup!! You can already see it in some of the responses to this thread.

Eau de Geek is a popular fragrance here recently and these latest developements might very well be a Godsend as far as bringing out the geek in some.

Savvy words... me thinking, a painful transition must be the Johnny-come-lately geek awakening, like Franz used to say...One of the first signs of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die.
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » April 1st 2011, 6:09pm

foghorn wrote:
WatchDorks.Net wrote:Get up on the wrong side of the asylum this morning, didja? Image

Nope-not at all.
Just a bit perplexed why so many are so happy about something that is finally over even though they were part of the problem and are now rejoicing in a result that they had nothing to do with.

I think that for many people it's a case of just deserts. People (myself included) have wanted the douchebag to get what he deserves for a long time, but (apparently mistakenly) believed he was untouchable. He seemed to get away with anything and everything, so now that the unexpected has happened, it's a matter of "How fucking cool is that???!!"

I'll admit that JS getting fired gives me warm fuzzies.

How long were you a WG member?

I joined in March of 2009. By the middle of May 2009, Mongo Kid had swung the banhammer. Permabanned and IP banned with zero discussion because I kept calling Invicta and ShopNBC to task for their ethical lapses.

I've since gone back as several other accounts, all of which were banned for being critical and/or a "hater".

I now just prefer to lurk over there.

I would have been here sooner than June of 2010, but in all candor I simply didn't know this forum existed...
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

betterskills
Senior Member & WIS

Post by betterskills » April 1st 2011, 6:23pm

But you can't have it both ways - they were assholes because they bought the lies and now that they don't, they're still assholes? It seems to me that some of these people are making the transition from TV brands to "real" brands. I think this forum has been great at opening people's eyes. Maybe Jimblo sparked the intrest, but these cats are now awakened and have moved beyond the "Snowbaby" collecting mentality and actually appreciate watches for their design and craftmanship. The Wack jobs that are posting shit like "I'll never by from ShopNBC again because they fired Jim" or "I only collect watches because Zeta male grifter got me hooked" are a different story - they are assholes. These were the same shit heads that collected pens and then moved on to collecting cigar rings or wine labels; jumping from whatever 'collecting' fad had more than 1 magazine pushing it like dope to crackheads.

I realized early on that the only value in a watch was the movement and possibly any precious metals used - and that's if you melt the case down. And I think that realization is what separates a true WIS from the person that thinks a pound of stainless steel with a plastic quartz movement actually is worth "today's once only" and if I played any part in opening up someone's third eye - good.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » April 1st 2011, 7:01pm

foghorn wrote:
Chanse503 wrote:HAHA Jimbo!
Never liked you douche bag!

Case in point

Chanse...is it the first of the month all ready?

There is a certain clique that the members that were never geeks seem to have...or the veterans of watch forums that have been to war with Skelton years ago have. I say...fine...you old timers paved the way for us newbs.
It took some of us longer to see the light. There are a few of the newbs that show promise. If we don't feel un-welcomed by the "Old timers" to post.
I'm thick skinned and don't care if I hurt a few feelings...that's life, but some Geeks coming from the self contained, regulated and heavily censored WG's may just not participate(which would make a certain rooster happy :)) which may just be a shame.
Except Chanse...which even though I have him on ignore I still seem to have to read his shit.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 1st 2011, 8:34pm

foghorn wrote:

Nope-not at all.

Reminds me a bit of the old B movies with Godzilla. Everyone runs except the pugs and roosters. When the battle is over, everyone rejoices and tell stories of how they knew it all the time and what heroic part they played.

Kudos go to Alain ( who many of you believed to be full of shit until recently) Image for his relentless pursuit and it bothers me to see so many jump on the bandwagon so late.

I have regular bowel movements but thanks for thinking of me Image Ask Randy. He doesn't drink water because Koi crap in it. That is why it is called a cesspool How long were you a WG member?

A nobody will try to extend his 15 minutes of fame for as long as he can via facebook. His legions will follow him down the primrose path.......for awhile. Soon they well come to the conclusion that he is irrelevant and find someone else to hug. Some will wake up and find forums such as watchfreeks, BDWF, XMT and the others. Some will drop by here. Few will stay to participate since these are shark infested waters.

I do agree with the comments about newbies. We long time WIS really do not suffer geeks well. I guess it comes down to what Jeff said, "how long did it take you to wake up". I have nothing against WG except when some try to turn this place into Geek lane.

Not going to happen here. There is a learning curve here. We are pretty up front with each other and sometimes it may get rough but at the end of the day, we are still here learning, sharing and laughing, normally at ourselves. For those who have signed on to try to get revenge.... don't bother. You won't last here long. For those who feel a need to take me on, I would not suggest it. I have doing this for longer than most of you have been alive, I am as foggy said, relentless, and I do not suffer fools as JS has found out.

The members of this forum are a mix of old guys, new guys and those in-between. We like it that way. The forum is self moderated since Aqua Homer, Jimmy, Foggy, Dan and Watch Noob (admin here) as well as almost everyone else take care of the place for themselves. That is one reason JS hated this place. We speak openly to each other and the rest who drop by.

Back on track here, Zeta male grifter may or may not raise his ugly head somewhere on the net. As far as I am concerned, if he stays off of watch fora, he is out of harms way. He gets involved with them again, it will be open season once again.

If Invicta stops the "marketing" lies which are always exposed and concentrate on making a decent watch, then there will less to discuss about them.

JS, kiss my ass. I hope they gave you a severence package. Not for your sake but for the family's. It takes a while to sell off the toys bozo.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
fatman
ASSHAT

Post by fatman » April 1st 2011, 10:27pm

life is about evolving, always has been and always will be. why fight it?

i have not even owned a computer for a year yet.
i bought one JUST to learn more about a hobbie i picked up after quitting a many many year habit of smoking the hippie lettuce.

i have been sober for 26 and half months and have been a WIS in the making for less than that.

i do still have a account at wg but dont participate that much. mainly just to post non invictas to help show that those are not the only watches in the world.

i do like it here though as this forum is active, has many here who do their best to teach and help expand watch collecting horizons. plus i like the fact that i can speak my mind.

you know FOGHORN you come off like a real asshole which is fine by me because i am a asshole as well but i have to thank you and all of the other founding members for starting this forum and be willing to go through the trouble to inform noobs like me about this hobby.
but it seems to me that you could have started a site that was exclusive to a certain few and not open to everyone. it would still have been looked upon by many who google watch forums and the word could still have been read.
the one thing that we all have in common is that we love collecting and wearing watches....correct?
when a wg gets thrown against the watchlord wall some will stick and some will not. so why not just let it be? see what happens and help those that do... become WIS instead of trying to peel them off the wall.
isnt that what ONE of the reasons for starting this forum was all about....watch collecting? Image
HF
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » April 2nd 2011, 5:17am

Mark2 wrote:You make very good points...the Invicta machine will keep on rolling, just with a different face...sad really!

Already has. Tim Temple, the once and future king of ShopNBC watches, now sleeps with The Lalo and Geekland.

My issues with Invicta would vanish if the company stopped its deceptive sales tactics. Then it would be just another Chinese brand with upscale pretensions - Fossil on roids. I'd say live and let live.

However, I will continue to cry foul whenever I catch Invicta in the act.
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » April 2nd 2011, 5:33am

I think some get a little too much credit here. Maybe its because they have "stuck it out", maybe its because they have no where else to go.

Many of us besides the barnyard animals have been here throughout all of this bullshit

A chicken and a dog does not a forum make. Just saying...

BigJim also makes a good point.
Last edited by Ditchdoc on April 2nd 2011, 6:11am, edited 2 times in total.
eddiea

Post by eddiea » April 2nd 2011, 5:36am

Bigjimzlll wrote:
foghorn wrote:
Chanse503 wrote:HAHA Jimbo!
Never liked you douche bag!

Case in point

Chanse...is it the first of the month all ready?

There is a certain clique that the members that were never geeks seem to have...or the veterans of watch forums that have been to war with Skelton years ago have. I say...fine...you old timers paved the way for us newbs.
It took some of us longer to see the light. There are a few of the newbs that show promise. If we don't feel un-welcomed by the "Old timers" to post.
I'm thick skinned and don't care if I hurt a few feelings...that's life, but some Geeks coming from the self contained, regulated and heavily censored WG's may just not participate(which would make a certain rooster happy :)) which may just be a shame.
Except Chanse...which even though I have him on ignore I still seem to have to read his shit.

I said this to you Jim , I'm yet to see a post from you, that is not worth reading or makes no sense... I could be wrong but think, foggy is refering to a different kind of ex (or still geeks) and or characters in general, that come here with an agenda and a mind set that defies any logic.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Post by mrneddles » April 2nd 2011, 5:47am

I've always liked watches, since childhood, so I guess it all started then. I always had one or two Seikos, even through my teen years.

It wasn't until 06 when going through a divorce that I really started a road to WISdom. My attorney advised me, don't buy anything your estranged wife will fight you over (ie cars, houses, furniture). My ex and I were still tied at the hip with the bank account, and given my job, we had disposable income. I found I could engage in a little "retail therapy" with watches and still fly under the radar with her. With a mountain of alimony and child support, she wasn't going to go after me for my $1000 men's Baume et Mercier.

I joined TZ in 08. A great place for info, but unless you have A. Lange kinda money, hard to fit in. I live in Charleston, which is a black hole for ADs. So the only time I could really see fine watches was when I travel, so only 2-3 times per year.

Stumbled across Shopnbc, which was good for one purpose, bringing watches into my living room on a near daily. I knew that these weren't great watches, but for the money equivalent to an average shopping cart full at Target, I could have a little new bauble to play with (and eventually tire of). Jimbo mentioned his site, which I joined in 09. I was never a darling on that board, because I hated Invicta at first sight. I confined myself to the Renato and Android forums.

Then I heard about WL and came on over. I have never been personally wronged by MD or JS. Reading Koi's info about their despicable actions, and hearing other's accounts made me highly dislike them. So with the knowledge gained here, it is easy for me to pile on those two fools along with the mob. Is that "Geek mentality". I would say no.

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”