Citizen Orca

iwasbanned
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Citizen Orca

Post by iwasbanned » March 30th 2011, 5:50pm

I have been eyeballing the Citizen Ecozilla, but was never quite able to get myself to purchase one. I check watchrecon on a regular basis to see if anything catches my eye, while doing a search for an ecozilla I came across this:

The Citizen Orca. Hadn't seen this model before and didn't know too much. I started digging around read some reviews and well, I was sold. In my opinion though smaller, it has more personality or panache.

So what to say, 60 click bezel, the click line up dead on to the minute markers. The second hand also lines up perfectly on the minute markers. It is a pet peeve of mine when quartz watches don't do this. I still have a couple, and only my Wittnauer watches are really good about this. It's on a rubber strap, rather comfortable, better than the rubber strap on my Seiko Monster, more on par with the Marine Master rubber strap.

The dial is outstanding. Really 'pops'. The orange minute hand stands out and the uniquely shaped hour markers are generously covered in lume/paint. If you look close enough the blue dial is slightly translucent and you can actually see what I assume is part of the charging element for the ecodrive technology. From what I've gathered the hour marker shape and colors of the watch are the reason this is called the orca. It is titanium, only drawback is that its a stainless steel case back.

Signed screw down crown, 200M water resistant . Has the marking "Diver's 200M" on the dial which I've learned is not equal to "WR 200M". The "Diver's 200M" means that the watch is tested to ISO6425 standard. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark. The lume is outstanding a cool blue and the pip also has a bright glow.

In closing, I think I made the right choice versus the ecozilla. Never owned an ecozilla, but this watch is slightly smaller at 45mm, very light and I think easier to wear on a daily basis. Thanks for looking!

Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Citizen Orca

Post by Aqua Homer » April 1st 2011, 9:33am

I have the Orca as well. Very cool looking watch, so a congratulations is in order. However I must assert an objection.... To compare that hard as a rock plastic strap to Marine Master rubber is an affront of monumental proportions!
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » April 1st 2011, 10:08am

I've been looking at the Orca for a couple of years now but haven't been in the right place at the right time to get a deal on one. I love the look.

Congrats on a great purchase.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » April 1st 2011, 12:32pm

Aqua Homer wrote:I have the Orca as well. Very cool looking watch, so a congratulations is in order. However I must assert an objection.... To compare that hard as a rock plastic strap to Marine Master rubber is an affront of monumental proportions!

You are right, I still think the Marine Master is better, my wording could have been better. I should have just left it at better than the Seiko monster rubber strap. I was overcome with new watch excitement. I should probably wait a week before writing a review. Let everything sink in before making a judgment.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 6th 2011, 9:56pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:
koimaster wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:
koimaster wrote:Great watch. I wish I had never sold mine. I wish people would look around and they would be amazed at what is out there new or better yet, pre-owned for under 1K or even $500.

3FCC7555-AB10-4F8B-96C5-EA502B42E8EF.jpeg

thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”