The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

User avatar
Guest

The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Guest » December 16th 2010, 9:11pm

This subject comes up from time to time in every forum I have visited. As I am new to this one, I am asking you to decide. Look at toughness, longevity, price, accuracy, the entire gamut and make your case on why one is better than the other. Then, if you happen to be on the mechanical side, state your argument for auto self wind or manual wind. I am as biased as everyone else out there so I will not speak to the issue at hand as I started the tread. But, I do expect to get quite and education as to the pros and cons in these movements. What I am excited about the most is, this forum lets you take hard swings with the warning you have to take them back. I expect this forum may be the best out there to openly and honestly debate this question, no holds barred!

If this debate has run on this forum before, please forgive me for being late and redundant. However, if it has not, what better arena for this debate to go on?

Now, WHAT SAY YOU?
Last edited by Guest on December 17th 2010, 5:40am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix typo and spelling
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 7505
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Falstaff » December 17th 2010, 8:32am

Absolutely! Not trying to be a smartass at all, merely saying that this sort of question is of necessity one of preference rather than objective fact. Accuracy? Quartz. Elegance? Mechanical or automatic. Most useful all round? Solar atomic.
"When the music's over, turn out the lights."
User avatar
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Posts: 38404
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 100000918104351
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by koimaster » December 26th 2010, 8:31pm

Quartz to me lacks soul. Efficient and very accurate and affordable.

Mechanical/Automatic to me is like admiring a pedigree auto such as an Alpha, Corvette or Lambo. Tempermental, requires patience and some work but a marvel to behold.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
Posts: 9547
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Hawk » December 27th 2010, 5:38am

New guy and curmudgeon in training submits that "quartz vs. mechanical" is a logical fallacy known as a false dichotomy. The choices are informed by more than simple differences in movement.

I have never once heard or read of an explanation for automatics that could be considered lucid in the face of obvious exceptions. Given that the function of a watch is to tell time and the automatic is inferior to the quartz in this basic capacity a preference for automatic is, at its heart, irrational. The fact that many share it, myself included, doesn't make it any more rational.

It's child's play to deflate a consensus preference for automatics over quartz by merely invoking another consensus preference to include a conflicting prejudice: "Chinese autos vs. Swiss quartz." Well, how 'bout that? So, it's not really a preference for autos, it's a preference for some autos. Granted, there may be some few that maintain a preference for auto vs. quartz in the face of opposing "country of origin" prejudices but we're talking consensus preferences here.

Soul? I see "soul" invoked a lot in the framework of the auto debate but what the hell is a soul in the context of a timepiece? More specifically, what is it in the specific case of Rolex, Ball and countless others that don't employ an "exhibition" case back? There are quartz continuous sweep second hands and I'm old enough I can't hear the "tick tock". If a soul is defined as something that can't be seen, felt or heard than what exactly is it that leads us to invoke it as explanation?

Craftsmanship? In the absence of disassembly how can you tell? Was the Rolex quartz still a Rolex? Does the quartz movement in a diamond Longines mean it was assembled in a cave? I'm guessing the brand is another issue, along with country of origin, that fogs the "auto vs quartz" conundrum. Where would the consensus land on, say, Breitling Aeromarine vs. Seiko 5?

If a smoothly sweeping second hand is a valid reason to stay on the auto bandwagon, will it disappear as soon as the Bulova Precisionist becomes available in styles that would appeal to an auto enthusiast? I doubt it - the maturation of the Precisionist will merely incite a search for more creative distinctions.

If there is an objective reason for preferring the auto I shall be pleased to hear it - I would deploy it myself.

In the meantime neither of my Ball watches (which are not the COSC models) meet the accuracy standards set by Ball in the 19th century. They have closed backs thus concealing the soul and I doubt the externally visible craftsmanship would have been negatively impacted by a quartz movement.

All that notwithstanding my preference is for the auto. Justifying the preference objectively however is not on the table.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
User avatar
Guest

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Guest » December 29th 2010, 1:34pm

I consider quartz to be "fashion" and automatic/mechanical to be more "marquee"...

I'd have a hard time buying a watch over $300 that was quartz. It'd have to be a pretty fucking nice quartz... But then, there are some inexpensive autos out there. I've a Japanese Miyota-powered Invicta Ocean Ghost that I'd hardly consider to be heirloom, but it's got its own personality that I enjoy.
Bourbon City
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 749
Joined: October 26th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Bourbon City » December 29th 2010, 2:22pm

Give me a fine automatic first, next a fine mechanical and then a Solar Powered Atomic. No more quartz please. I have too many batteries to change when the time comes.

Oh, and if you need a explaination, then I think you are in the wrong hobby. Go collect something else.
bc
Last edited by Anonymous on December 29th 2010, 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no explaination needed
User avatar
Guest

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Guest » December 29th 2010, 4:11pm

Bourbon City wrote:Give me a fine automatic first, next a fine mechanical and then a Solar Powered Atomic. No more quartz please. I have too many batteries to change when the time comes.

Oh, and if you need a explaination, then I think you are in the wrong hobby. Go collect something else.
bc


Since I started this thread I have just been enjoying reading every one's point of view. I will eventually post my feelings on the question but for now, hearing what everyone else says is interesting. However, when it comes to quartz and batteries, consideration does have to be given to the Kinetic and Eco drives that never require a battery change. So, just like you can have a mechanical that never needs to be wound (if worn or put in a winder) you can have a quartz that never needs a battery. Both mechanical movements and quartz movements have tackled and overcome obstacles like having to wind or change batteries.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 19363
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by foghorn » December 29th 2010, 5:04pm

There is something that can be said,both positive and negative, about all watches no matter what the source of energy. Even kinetic and solar have their drawbacks.
Kinetics need to be worn on a semi regular basis to keep the charge. Once the charge is depleted you have to shake the damn things forever to get it fully charged again! But I still like 'em.

Solar/atomics need to live by a window to keep the charge at a high level and to get the radio signal. They can be a PITA in the winter when there isn't a lot of daylight and they spend a lot of time hidden by long sleeves. Also all eco drive movements are not created equal-some charge quickly (relatively speaking) with exposure to light and others take freaking forever. I have a 15 year old Citizen "Solar tech" which is early eco drive that has never ever lost its power despite minimum light exposure yet one Citizen that is less than 2 years old requires a jump start twice a year-and they are both kept in the same box by the same window.

As far as the automatic "soul" I have a different view.

I see automatics as being extremely "needful" and requiring constant attention whereas quartz are much more independent and really don't ask for much other than a battery every 3-10 years.

Automatics get tired and run down very easily while quartz will give you 100% for an extended period .


I like all manner of watches and none are perfect.

(except for mine)
Image
User avatar
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1061
Joined: December 22nd 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Pacifica, Ca
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Aqua Homer » December 29th 2010, 8:14pm

I actually enjoy threads like this and posts such as Hawks, and Jeffs are a joy to read, full of stuff to really think about. To take this a bit off topic, It becomes clearer to me every day that no one short of us forum-nerd types give a flying fuck about watches, let alone what is powering them.
Since moving to California, the only job I have been able to find in my field is head of security at a San Francisco nightclub...... (read bouncer). The weekends are thuggy hip-hop fests, and I spend the majority of my shift throwing people out the door. However, on some Fridays we get a fairly upscale crowd. With nothing to do, I have spent the last several months scrutinizing wristwatches all night long when blessed with an easy, older crowd. Here are the results of my strictly non-scientific observations.....
On these slow nights, I can easily get close enough to examine at least 100 watches a night. I have seen one automatic watch.... ONE! Everyone wears cheap quartz junk no matter how finely they are dressed.
This particularly horrifying observation is really going to make everyone take a deep breath........



Invicta is fucking everywhere. SNBC and Geeks are a drop in the bucket. There are shit-load of consumers out there buying Invicta. I have seen more Russian Divers than any other watch brand combined.
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 7505
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Falstaff » December 30th 2010, 7:36am

PopeyeDoyle wrote:
Bigjimzlll wrote:You're a bouncer at a thug hip hop joint...you'd expect Russian Divers and Joe Rodeo POS. No taste MFer's...


I think that Invicta has far more class than Bedazzled G-Shocks. I don't think even Invicta's harshest critics would argue that.



Don't know if I qualify as one of Invicta's harshest critics, but I am certainly an equal opportunity hater. There is a fundamental honesty and integrity about a G-Shock (even a "blinged" out one) that Invicta and its ongoing policy of deception, poor quality and all but nonexistant customer service can ever approach. The words class and Invicta don't even belong in the same sentence.
"When the music's over, turn out the lights."
User avatar
Guest

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Guest » December 30th 2010, 7:57am

Falstaff wrote:
PopeyeDoyle wrote:
Bigjimzlll wrote:You're a bouncer at a thug hip hop joint...you'd expect Russian Divers and Joe Rodeo POS. No taste MFer's...


I think that Invicta has far more class than Bedazzled G-Shocks. I don't think even Invicta's harshest critics would argue that.



Don't know if I qualify as one of Invicta's harshest critics, but I am certainly an equal opportunity hater. There is a fundamental honesty and integrity about a G-Shock (even a "blinged" out one) that Invicta and its ongoing policy of deception, poor quality and all but nonexistant customer service can ever approach. The words class and Invicta don't even belong in the same sentence.


OK, I beg to differ. For example, "Invicta displays no class whatsoever in manufacturing, marketing, sales, customer service, or any area you could think of."
:kingo:
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 7505
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Post by Falstaff » December 30th 2010, 8:08am

Timebender wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
PopeyeDoyle wrote:
Bigjimzlll wrote:You're a bouncer at a thug hip hop joint...you'd expect Russian Divers and Joe Rodeo POS. No taste MFer's...


I think that Invicta has far more class than Bedazzled G-Shocks. I don't think even Invicta's harshest critics would argue that.



Don't know if I qualify as one of Invicta's harshest critics, but I am certainly an equal opportunity hater. There is a fundamental honesty and integrity about a G-Shock (even a "blinged" out one) that Invicta and its ongoing policy of deception, poor quality and all but nonexistant customer service can ever approach. The words class and Invicta don't even belong in the same sentence.


OK, I beg to differ. For example, "Invicta displays no class whatsoever in manufacturing, marketing, sales, customer service, or any area you could think of."
:kingo:


I'll graciously accept the correction, however, I submit that a far more satisfying turn of phrase would be to substitute just the words "sucks ass" just after the word "Invicta" in your sentence.
"When the music's over, turn out the lights."
Post Reply

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest