The itsy bitsy spider crawled up the gaudy crap.....

foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: The itsy bitsy spider crawled up the gaudy crap.....

Post by foghorn » September 17th 2010, 6:24pm

They are no longer watches and no longer have anything to do with horology or anything remotely related to watch collecting.
These things are now just decorative trinkets that the "poor souls" can pass of as proof that they have the inside track to being a facebook "friend" of a TV shopping network shill. Oh Boy!! Finally I am somebody!
iwasbanned
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by iwasbanned » September 17th 2010, 7:05pm

My watch guy just looked at that picture of the watch on my phone and gave me an appraisal on the spot. I can tell you that I hope someone steals it, I can retire off the money I'll get from the insurance company. PM me for the appraisal and I will send it to you.
betterskills
Senior Member & WIS

Post by betterskills » September 17th 2010, 7:45pm

foghorn wrote:They are no longer watches and no longer have anything to do with horology or anything remotely related to watch collecting.
These things are now just decorative trinkets that the "poor souls" can pass of as proof that they have the inside track to being a facebook "friend" of a TV shopping network shill. Oh Boy!! Finally I am somebody!

Nailed it.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » September 18th 2010, 7:13am

foghorn wrote:They are no longer watches and no longer have anything to do with horology or anything remotely related to watch collecting.

You are correct. Many WG members have said in various posts that they really don't care how accurate their watches are - that they wear them strictly for the look. "He Man bracelets" I guess.
"Open the pod bay door HAL."
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » September 18th 2010, 8:37pm

BigCheez wrote:Jawbone just bragged about the expensive case back, specially-enameled crystal...

So apparently getting a Chinese guy to paint the leftover exhibition case backs from the mechanical, is an amazing horological accomplishment...

This goes at the heart of that one thread where someone asks why Invictas don't hold their value. Top 2 answers in my opinion and I'll paraphrase.

1. You assume Invictas have any value to start with.
2. Credit Slomo, "The people who sell them to you do a very good job of building perceived value"

Their always talking about heavy machining and how expensive it is. how expensive that is and you'd pay thousands more if this was a rolex... blah blah blah. Also notice that they only really do this with the invictas.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 19th 2010, 6:55am

I wasn't gonna chime in too much here, but then I saw the thing on TV...good lord...that little spider at the end of that GMT marker...essccchh! This thing make Ed Hardy look like Wyler.

Foggy, you are the man this week. Perceptive people can see a bad situation and sum it up before they get burned by it. Dude, you nailed this one.

IWG is really, really reaching these days. Things must be bad over there.

Awwww.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe

Post by Guest » September 19th 2010, 12:16pm

I'm not one to ever defend Invicta but I'm sure it's difficult to bring out as many "new" watches as they do each year. However they have put themselves in that position aligning themselves with SNBC as there mail seller. Seems like a marriage made in hell......
DIAMANTE
Watchlord WIS

Post by DIAMANTE » September 19th 2010, 12:23pm

I'm with y'all - that Russian Spider is total fuck job abortion of a watch. Anyone with any sense will know that it is just a cheap RD (with an equally cheap Sea Spider bracelet) that routinely sells for about $60.

They have been making the Sea Spider (I like the original btw) and the RD for years so I'm thinking it ain't costing shit to manufacture this fucking abortion.

I wonder how many WGs bought multiples?

D

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”