Lum Tec watches

eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Lum Tec watches

Post by eddiea » August 2nd 2010, 4:37pm

Lume seems good... not much I can elaborate about the rest....other than a bit overpriced.
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » August 2nd 2010, 4:49pm

I think someone just vistited them last year in Ohio if I'm not mistaken. This was from when I was over at the XMT forum.

Post by Guest » August 2nd 2010, 4:56pm

I like the M18 w/ the vintage twin barrel automatic movement!
Very cool piece they offer !
foghorn

Post by foghorn » August 2nd 2010, 4:59pm

2 things make me wary.

From their website:

Designed and tested in the USA. (fine so I suppose they are made in Asia, and that's OK as long as you say so after all the emphasis on the USA connection)

Lifetime battery replacement on quartz models. (no shit-how about the automatics?? and what's it cost to ship it to you for a simple battery replacement??)
Last edited by Anonymous on August 2nd 2010, 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Post by jaw » August 2nd 2010, 5:00pm

Here's a Mini-Review I posted on XMT when I got mine.
Newer versions are priced higher - of course.

-----------------------------------------

Definitely NOT a square watch, more of a shallow bow tie.
Top/Bottom sides curving inward to intersect with the primary case cylinder.

Wrist curvature combined with downward slope of each corner gives the perception of a complex compound curved case.
Additionally the top of the corner hex screws follow the corner slopes and match the contour adding to the perceived complexity.
Very comfortable BTW.

+500 for a Quartz you say? (very hard to find for less)
Well...I've spent the same and more for Invicta quartz justified by case design/complexity.
Wanted the original version. Newer ones already evolving away from the military simplicity I like.

Comes in a modest case on a rubber strap - immediately swapped out for some gator.
Cause I can't get enough of that black/silver/brown look (dial/case/strap).

Thanks for watching
--
jaw

Specs
* 45mm 316l stainless steel case.
* Top side crown and pushers. (bullhead design)
* Thick sapphire crystal.
* Double side anti reflective coating (AR)
* 100 Meter water resistance (10ATM)
* 8-layer MDV® LUM-TEC GX luminous application.
* Chronograph timer 11 hours/59 minutes/59 seconds.
* Heavy duty japan Miyota OS10 Chronograph movement.
* Top grade rubber strap.
* Brushed finish or bead blasted hard PVD finish.
* 6 styles / 100 units each for 2009.

Post by Guest » August 2nd 2010, 5:00pm

Family owned company building watches in the US, known for the lume and most of the pieces have the panerai look to them but the seem to be branching out into new pieces (sure the cases are made in the far east and finished at their facility). Chris Wiegand is president and think his brothers help out and they are located in Ohio! I like the 44mm auto but the price is a little steep new but would love to find a hot deal on a pre-owned piece!

http://www.lum-tec.com/about-lumtec/

labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » August 2nd 2010, 5:51pm

Watch Noob wrote:I think someone just vistited them last year in Ohio if I'm not mistaken. This was from when I was over at the XMT forum.
Right you are Noob, it was me.

Duker(Earl) and myself visited their shop, Chris and his brother Jason were more than accommodating. We tried on numerous pieces talk about their business and lume process. Yes they do have parts manufactured and imported from the far east. They assemble and test the watches in Mentor, Ohio. They test/time each and every automatic prior to shipping. I picked up a Lumzilla with the NH25 movement in it, it is +/- 5 seconds per day, extremely accurate. They take a lot of pride in their watches, quartz or auto's. Each is a limited edition, when sold out the only way to get one is after market. They are starting to utilize some Swiss manufacturers and movements as well. I currently have 3 Lum-Tecs, an M-1, M-18 and LZ-2 and would put them up against a lot of watches that cost a whole lot more.

They do offer lifetime battery replacement for quartz models and lifetime adjustments for their auto's. OK you have to ship it to them but what other company offers this?

Duker

Me

Chris W on the right

I am seriously considering their 500M diver.

Great watches, great service, great people.

Post by Guest » August 2nd 2010, 5:57pm

Great post Labman, i knew there were a couple guys that stopped there and were treated very well by the two brothers! That says alot about the company to take the time to spend with two customers!!!
labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » August 2nd 2010, 6:05pm

What was really great about it guys is at the time neither of us owned any of their watches and we did not walk out buying any, although I would have love to run out of there with one of Chris's boxes!

I finally picked the M-1 up from VMMM(Greg), stopped by a couple of more times, just popped in. They let me look at their prototype diver(s) they were working on a 1000M diver too, although I don't believe that has gone any further yet. The I snagged the M-18 and then just had to have a Lumzilla, that thing glows all night.

WUS sales forum has Lum-Tec's pop up if anyone is looking at not paying a new price.

I honestly believe they are worth what they are asking for as far as price.

JMO of course.
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Aqua Homer » August 2nd 2010, 7:36pm

I seriously hate raining on parades, in these matters, but Chris Weigand was a well known Panerai counterfeiter, prior to being served with an injuction by Panerai. He started Lum-Tec after the injuction, but has seemed to have gone legit since then. Everyone deserves a second chance.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » August 3rd 2010, 4:57am

Aqua Homer wrote:I seriously hate raining on parades, in these matters, but Chris Weigand was a well known Panerai counterfeiter, prior to being served with an injuction by Panerai. He started Lum-Tec after the injuction, but has seemed to have gone legit since then. Everyone deserves a second chance.

AH, I know Chris has made Panerai homages; are you saying he was actually making watches that had "Panerai" on the dial and movments and passing them off as the real deal?

His Panny homages were regarded as one of the best you could get compared to Marina Militare from say Henlenaru, Getat or Jackson. Paneria is doing it's best to stop homages and well as counterfeits.

So are you putting homages in the same category as a fake/counterfeit?

eddiea

Post by eddiea » August 3rd 2010, 7:01am

labman wrote:
Aqua Homer wrote:I seriously hate raining on parades, in these matters, but Chris Weigand was a well known Panerai counterfeiter, prior to being served with an injuction by Panerai. He started Lum-Tec after the injuction, but has seemed to have gone legit since then. Everyone deserves a second chance.

AH, I know Chris has made Panerai homages; are you saying he was actually making watches that had "Panerai" on the dial and movments and passing them off as the real deal?

His Panny homages were regarded as one of the best you could get compared to Marina Militare from say Henlenaru, Getat or Jackson. Paneria is doing it's best to stop homages and well as counterfeits.

I haven't seeing Chris homages, I have seen the MM homages so I take you word for it than the Chris made ones are actually better, whatever that means... that been said and IMHO, those legally called homages that are identical to the real deal sans the name on the dial, are plain and simply stealing someone else research, design etc. so to me personally it is ethically speaking, counterfeiting....
Last edited by Anonymous on August 3rd 2010, 7:05am, edited 2 times in total.
foghorn

Post by foghorn » August 3rd 2010, 7:13am

labman wrote:

JMHO but....

If it looks like a duck,swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck then.........
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Aqua Homer » August 3rd 2010, 9:38am

I do tend to put rebranded replica type homages in the same category as counterfeits. In Chris Weigands case am am not doing this. He made the most sought after Panerai Replicas on the market. He was a sponsor at a very large counterfeit forum. I'm sure Boscoe can research this, as there was an article about him and Panerai in a small Florida newspaper in 08'. The article delved into some other shady ventures he embarked on while attending college as well. Multi-Level marketing, adult entertainment, etc.

Hey Dan! are you around? Can you dig this up?
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » August 3rd 2010, 9:53am

Buy what you like, but if I can't afford a real one, I don't buy the "homage".

There are too many cool watches at every price point that aren't brazenly stealing someone else's hard work to make themselves a buck. If it's a current design and you did it without the license of the originator, to me you stole it.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » August 3rd 2010, 10:37am

foghorn wrote:
labman wrote:

JMHO but....
If it looks like a duck,swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck then.........

Then it must be a witch! (Sorry a little MP Holy Grail reference to ducks and witches)

Was just trying to get AH's view of counterfeit vs homage.

I know a lot of watch collectors view them one in the same and the issues has been debated to death on just about every watch forum.

I'll have to ask him about is "adult entertainment" ventures :wqwq: next time I stop in his shop.

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » November 23rd 2020, 8:40pm

TemerityB wrote:
November 23rd 2020, 8:23pm
koimaster wrote:
November 23rd 2020, 7:05pm
I like snitches.
That's the good kind of snitch. Frank Burns would be proud.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”