Name versus Price

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Name versus Price

Post by Mark1 » December 17th 2010, 4:45pm

I agree with Eddie. My perception is the only one that counts when spending my money on watches. If your watch needs to impress others then you are a poser Noob, though I recognize the rhetorical nature of the question. Honestly-most people would'nt know enough to laugh at your $1500 Invicta (if you were wearing one.) Many watch brands do command higher premiums, and some of that is definitely based on reputation. Calculating what is a good price or value for a watch or a watch brand is the tricky part.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » December 17th 2010, 6:37pm

Noob, I like being stealthy. That's why I resisted the Rolex thing and bought Tudor Subs. The Rolex sub I have was from Mrs. B, who is nuts about the brand (though I don't know why).
Truth is I enjoy a fine timepiece regardless of what other people think.
My stash is filled with oddball brands like Clerc, Bedat etc

Post by Guest » December 17th 2010, 7:48pm

boscoe wrote:Noob, I like being stealthy. That's why I resisted the Rolex thing and bought Tudor Subs. The Rolex sub I have was from Mrs. B, who is nuts about the brand (though I don't know why).
Truth is I enjoy a fine timepiece regardless of what other people think.
My stash is filled with oddball brands like Clerc, Bedat etc

I agree with you 100% on the enjoyment of any finely made and operating timepiece. In contrast the two Rolex's in this house came from my wife wanting me to have a Rolex. She did show the good since in buying used from a know reputable dealer. Of course that caused me to buy her one from the same dealer. What I think she wanted all along. There comes a point in price that is just way past where I want to go. For example, yes my Rolex is real gold and not gold plate but, that does not improve the movement at all. I can settle for a little less on the outside and the same or better on the inside. As far as snob appeal, let us not begin to think the general public recognizes brands. Yes, since Rolex has been advertising and marketing since the 1940's most out there have heard of them. But I bet if you went to any mall in this country and put the name Omega on a sheet of paper next to names like, Seiko, Citizen, and Bulova, and then asked, which company do you believe is not in the watch business, you would be blown away at the percentage that would pick Omega. That is not a slap against Omega. It is just the pure fact that the masses don't care so they don't know. So, if there is any snob appeal and I guess there is, it is among a very small group of people when compared to the rest of the world. Now, at my all alone world looking at my Hamilton, or EL, or even Seiko or Citizen, what means most to me is how I feel about the watch "at hand" and not what someone else may or may not think. That watch in hand after all, was for me and paid for by me. It is much more important what I think of it than anyone else.
dude
Senior Member & WIS

Post by dude » December 17th 2010, 8:17pm

. . . one of the gents at another forum just popped up with a Grand Seiko GMT, Spring Drive. Absolutely stunning watch. The finish work and overall quality is as good as any in the price range it competes, and perhaps better than some. Seiko is not a company that rests on it's laurels . . . they constantly push forward and reward the consumer in measure with the dollrs they spend.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBGE001/Grand-Seiko-Spring-Drive-GMT-SBGE001.html

http://watchshock.com/archive/Seiko/Grand_Seiko/Spring_Drive_GMT/SBGE001/

. . . the sapphire bezel is off the charts IMO, as are the signature markings on the crown and the clasp. Simply done to that "next step standard".

. . . not an inexpensive watch by any means, but taking the features and the technology into account, you get alot for the $$$$. AND, all of it is Seiko in house. None of the suspect out-sourcing that is plagueing other makes at this time. Personally, not because I am an admitted fan-boi, I would own a GS or Credor in heart beat and wear it with great satisfaction!!!!

Post by Guest » December 17th 2010, 8:26pm

dude wrote:. . . one of the gents at another forum just popped up with a Grand Seiko GMT, Spring Drive. Absolutely stunning watch. The finish work and overall quality is as good as any in the price range it competes, and perhaps better than some. Seiko is not a company that rests on it's laurels . . . they constantly push forward and reward the consumer in measure with the dollrs they spend.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBGE001/Grand-Seiko-Spring-Drive-GMT-SBGE001.html

http://watchshock.com/archive/Seiko/Grand_Seiko/Spring_Drive_GMT/SBGE001/

. . . the sapphire bezel is off the charts IMO, as are the signature markings on the crown and the clasp. Simply done to that "next step standard".

. . . not an inexpensive watch by any means, but taking the features and the technology into account, you get alot for the $$$$. AND, all of it is Seiko in house. None of the suspect out-sourcing that is plagueing other makes at this time. Personally, not because I am an admitted fan-boi, I would own a GS or Credor in heart beat and wear it with great satisfaction!!!!

Ditto!
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » December 18th 2010, 6:32am

Watch Noob wrote:Maybe I'm more concerned with appearances and perception than quality, ingenuity and craftmanship. I'd rather people recognize my $2000 Omega Planet Ocean immediately than have to wonder what my Seiko Spring Drive is. Am I a WIS Poser? Image

Nah, not a poser.

The current fashions in watches make damn near everybody an "unintentional poser" to some extent. I suppose anyone wearing a dive watch that doesn't dive has a little poser in them. Ditto aviator watches on those of us that haven't had a private pilot's lesson in 35 years. Worldtime and dual time for those not in the jet set (email in lieu of phone calls has pretty much clobbered the need to know what time it is in Bangkok). Moonphase if you're not a werewolf, etc. etc.

Orient has a charming way of escalating the poser status of one buying a mechanical watch with a tachometer bezel: it's a non-chronograph movement rendering the tach useless.

Omega carries no poser status. As someone else noted the non-WIS crowd doesn't know it's a 2,000.00 watch - they think it's a memento from your frat boy days.

If they recognize Omega they're in transition to WIS.

The overwhelming portion of the population is non-WIS and one can wear pretty much anything they want and not get any attention. Ball, Movado, Omega and Sea-Gull are all pretty much equal in that environment. Attention is only afforded to a Rolex Yachtmaster (and one needs to be fiddling with it in public long enough for someone to notice the logo) and the group of timepieces known as clown watches.

Post by Guest » December 18th 2010, 7:40pm

Watch Noob wrote:Let's look at it from a different perspective. I doubt many of your closest friends are WIS's. Therefore, if you were wearing a $1500+ Seiko and they said, "Hey nice watch, how much did you pay for it?" You say, "$1500", they say "wow, who makes it?" You say "Seiko". They look at you like your a Tard.
Now that's from the average Joe. Most average's Joes equated Seiko, Citizen, etc. in the nice watch for $200-$300 range, certainly not $1500+.

If you want to impress your average Joe, get an Invicta. Image

Seriously, you are severely underestimating Seiko and are speaking like a WG lemming.

Post by Guest » December 18th 2010, 8:18pm

btrizzy wrote:
Watch Noob wrote:Let's look at it from a different perspective. I doubt many of your closest friends are WIS's. Therefore, if you were wearing a $1500+ Seiko and they said, "Hey nice watch, how much did you pay for it?" You say, "$1500", they say "wow, who makes it?" You say "Seiko". They look at you like your a Tard.
Now that's from the average Joe. Most average's Joes equated Seiko, Citizen, etc. in the nice watch for $200-$300 range, certainly not $1500+.

If you want to impress your average Joe, get an Invicta. Image

Seriously, you are severely underestimating Seiko and are speaking like a WG lemming.

btrizzy, I agree. As I have stated earlier, your average Joe has never heard of Omega, Ball, etc., etc., etc. So if you have on a really nice looking "quartz" Seiko that goes below $500, you are going to get some "nice watch comments". And, if it happens to be a high dollar Grand Seiko, the average Joe is not going to know the difference between it and a $125 gray market Seiko. He will just know, Seiko. We get into this WIS thing and as fun as it is, the "I" (idiot) part starts showing. Like many assume the rest of the world knows or even cares about the beauty's we love so much. The vast majority simply, do not! The real test, IMHO is, when YOU look down at that thing on your wrist or, when you glance across that box you lay your babies to rest in you are happy and satisfied, the only person that really matters then, is just fine.

But back to your point. The grand masses out there think of Seiko as one of the finest watches made in the world. I happen to agree. For what they are, they really rule. If they did not, you would not find them in jewelry and department stores, everywhere.
DIAMANTE
Watchlord WIS

Post by DIAMANTE » December 19th 2010, 1:42pm

If I were going to drop thousands on a watch I'd buy a Rolex or some other brand that doesn't make any cheap watches.

I realize the spring drive Seiko is something special but the fact that you can buy a Seiko watch for $50 would prohibit me from dropping thousands of dollars on one no matter how super duper it is.

D
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » January 18th 2022, 4:06pm

I don't focus too much on the name of the watch; I go for looks and the(my) perceived quality/price ratio. Within my financial means, of course. Nobody has ever asked me about my watches except fellow Lords here in the cozy confines of this forum.

Most people these days are more interested in downloading the latest flatulence decibel monitor app for their smart watch. If your watch can't keep you updated on those Adele tickets you wanted, then it ain't worth much.

And as somebody years ago posted, if you want a conversation starter, get the biggest, baddest, most-cablest Invicta currently on sale for 90% off. You'll get some attention for sure.

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”