Freelancer Automatic Chronograph

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Freelancer Automatic Chronograph

Post by conjurer » December 28th 2012, 8:46pm

plaverty wrote:Koimaster, I like the thin bezel, nice looking watch. Reminds me of my most recent v7750 acquisition:

ImageImageImage

Comments?

Paul

Comments? Yeah! Get that goddamn Invicter out of the pic. I draws the eye away from your very nice chrono like a big pile of dogshit in an art gallery.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 28th 2012, 9:41pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:Jesus Christ what a fuckin beautiful watch. That fancy Asian column wheel manual knock off is just breathtaking

Yup.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
plaverty
Facebook ID: 0

If I could only have one . . .

Post by plaverty » December 28th 2012, 11:30pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:Jesus Christ what a fuckin beautiful watch. That fancy Asian column wheel manual knock off is just breathtaking

There was only one objective to substituting the stamped cam switching for the column wheel, and that was not elegance.

I can not fault the utility of the v773x, 5x, 6x and Venus 188 movements, but they are very different from the Venus 175 and Martel column wheels. Lemania switched to cam from column wheels, and I would not trade my L1883 for any other chronograph.

I paid little for the column wheel pictured, the lowest price I have paid for a column wheel chronograph. I bought a second identical 5105 to see if the incredible good feel of the wind and set was consistent. It was not, the stem was stripped at the winding gear. I do not know if this used watch was mishandled or defective from the factory. I find the styling of the Invicta watches consistently crass, which makes them very easy to detest. I also see Invicta strive to provide good value with movement selections which promise a lot of bang for the buck. At their price point they can not afford to offer no questions asked service, even when they own a problem with a product. I just strapped on a 0741 with the NE78a movement that I received only a few hour ago. Keep the value coming Invicta, and stay with the selection of column wheel chronographs, but please acquire some restraint with the adolescent styling!

Paul
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » December 28th 2012, 11:50pm

Well, you lost me at Invicta offering good value. Whatever you like is fine but as an FYI, invicta is not held in high esteem here. Quite the contrary but we do have a few fans of the brand.

Back on point, the RW bezel reminds me of my ML petite seconde as well as my Hamilton Intra-matic.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » December 29th 2012, 4:56am

AJC wrote:
plaverty wrote:Conjurer, did you mean this fine chronograph?

Image[

Surely, you jest!

Paul

What is the 6 o'clock subdial used for?

Was suppose to be a sun & moon am/pm indicator (with required faces). Unfortunately the shipment of discs were stolen at a airport in route from asia.... so as the story goes meant Invicta had to modify the dial design post haste to meet a special on-air television presentation.
Thus the design of this particular (& highly sought after) timepiece.

No jest.

elau
Watchlord WIS

Post by elau » December 29th 2012, 7:12pm

plaverty wrote:

There was only one objective to substituting the stamped cam switching for the column wheel, and that was not elegance.

I can not fault the utility of the v773x, 5x, 6x and Venus 188 movements, but they are very different from the Venus 175 and Martel column wheels. Lemania switched to cam from column wheels, and I would not trade my L1883 for any other chronograph.

I paid little for the column wheel pictured, the lowest price I have paid for a column wheel chronograph. I bought a second identical 5105 to see if the incredible good feel of the wind and set was consistent. It was not, the stem was stripped at the winding gear. I do not know if this used watch was mishandled or defective from the factory. I find the styling of the Invicta watches consistently crass, which makes them very easy to detest. I also see Invicta strive to provide good value with movement selections which promise a lot of bang for the buck. At their price point they can not afford to offer no questions asked service, even when they own a problem with a product. I just strapped on a 0741 with the NE78a movement that I received only a few hour ago. Keep the value coming Invicta, and stay with the selection of column wheel chronographs, but please acquire some restraint with the adolescent styling!

Paul

How many Invicta is in your collection?
plaverty

Post by plaverty » December 30th 2012, 7:13am

koimaster wrote:Well, you lost me at Invicta offering good value. Whatever you like is fine but as an FYI, invicta is not held in high esteem here. Quite the contrary but we do have a few fans of the brand.

Back on point, the RW bezel reminds me of my ML petite seconde as well as my Hamilton Intra-matic.

BOP, Would you post a picture of your Maurice Lacroix PS, or Hamitlon I-M, or both? What is it about the simple, early, 'all-dial' watches that intrigued me? Why do the early Tissot examples grab my attention:

The Elysee 71016 and the Watchlord banner Zeno compliment the IWC Portuguese:

I will respond to replies to my off-topic Invicta remarks on my intro thread.

Paul

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”