I call Bullshit thread. feel free to add and comment.

foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

I call Bullshit thread. feel free to add and comment.

Post by foghorn » May 8th 2010, 4:23pm

This may,or may not, be a ,long thread.

My first "I call BS" rant.

Soon after I got my SAIII I noticed that the (FF-BFD) crystal was unusually exposed and unprotected by virtue of it being at least 1or 2 mm higher than the case. (see picture)

Initially I thought that this was the reason that this particular model was available for such a low price at Amazon. (It has gone up a bit-about 10 bucks- since I got mine.)
But I then realized from reading various fora and seeing a presentation on TV that this is a common FLAW on these watches.
The second rate hawkers on TV call it a "raised crystal" (which it is) but these hacks make it sound like it is a feature rather than a blatant design flaw,especially for a sport/active wear watch.
I hope other Sub-Aqua owners might enlighten me and let me know if their versions also have the raised crystal.
My thought is that the factory that was commissioned to produce these is going by an initial design and Eyal will not allow for any alterations (too much $$) even if they are to correct a flaw.

Any crystal,even sapphire, will chip if the edges are exposed in such a callous manner.
It isn't about being scratch resistant-any crystal with such exposed edges are extemely prone to chipping with the possible exception of acrylic.
Perhaps one of the experts at WG might read this and prove me wrong.
Watch Noob
Banned

Re: I call Bullshit thread. feel free to add and comment.

Post by Watch Noob » May 9th 2010, 6:03am

I would also love to hear the story behind this "feature". I tend to agree that the crystal standing above the bezel is a flaw rather than a feature, but give it to the Carnies and they'll turn chicken shit into chicken salad. I wonder how many warranty claims have started to roll in?
dude
Senior Member & WIS

Post by dude » December 17th 2010, 8:37pm

Watch Noob wrote:I would also love to hear the story behind this "feature". I tend to agree that the crystal standing above the bezel is a flaw rather than a feature, but give it to the Carnies and they'll turn chicken shit into chicken salad. I wonder how many warranty claims have started to roll in?

Good to see the thread dredge hard at work. And yep, I recall a shitload of posts about the edge of the crystal getting chipped on these. What a surprise, wonder why . . . Image
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 27th 2021, 4:12pm

jskelton
apostle

jskelton Avatar

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:30am
Post Options
Post by jskelton on Dec 22, 2006 at 11:30am
An update for ANYONE ever needing assistance:

EMAIL: Rebecca Baitz: [email protected]

PHONE: 866-88-WATCH

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy