IN-DEPTH: The New Rolex Submariner No-Date Reference 114060

koimaster
Founder

IN-DEPTH: The New Rolex Submariner No-Date Reference 114060

Post by koimaster » July 27th 2012, 6:58am

The Rolex Submariner. Arguably the most recognized, respected, and clandestinely reproduced wristwatch of the 20th (and 21st) century.

Wthin the almost 60 year span of the ultimate dive watch's reign as the king of cool (yes, the actual king of cool wore one, too), the purest example of the Submariner - those that the purists among us often seek out, purchase, and wear the crap out of, are those without a date window. The "no date" Sub is the realest of the real.

This year at Basel World 2012, Rolex introduced a brand new dateless Submariner, the reference 114060. But what is different about the new Sub, when from 30,000 feet, it looks just like the 14060 that we loved so dearly? Well, it has a slightly redesigned case (still 40mm), a new bezel, and a new bracelet.

http://www.hodinkee.com/2012/3/27/in-depth-the-new-rolex-submariner-no-date-reference-114060-l.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: IN-DEPTH: The New Rolex Submariner No-Date Reference 114060

Post by foghorn » July 27th 2012, 5:29pm

bedlam wrote:I just don't make any connection to the Sub look at all. It just looks generic to me.

Add a 1 to that!

Twice I was on the cusp of a Rolex purchase. First time Breitling beat out Rolex in a side by side comparison and the second time I opted for my PO over a Sub. No contest when placed side by side and the only consideration was the actual watch without branding and history taken into account.
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bedlam » July 28th 2012, 6:14am

BigCheez wrote:
bedlam wrote:I just don't make any connection to the Sub look at all. It just looks generic to me.

That's because all of your wonderful microbrews and most real brands have been ripping the design off for 60 years.

Yup, the design has been done to death and its time to move on. Except Rolex haven't exactly shown much imagination in recent times.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
eddiea

Post by eddiea » July 28th 2012, 7:00am

bedlam wrote:
BigCheez wrote:

That's because all of your wonderful microbrews and most real brands have been ripping the design off for 60 years.

Yup, the design has been done to death and its time to move on. Except Rolex haven't exactly shown much imagination in recent times.

Well, only Rolex knows what the "Sub looks" is (or should be) isn't it? as far as Rolex imagination goes, why kill the goose that laid the golden eggs? "the design has been done to death" for a reason...people love it.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Post by jaw » July 28th 2012, 12:08pm

eddiea wrote:
bedlam wrote:
BigCheez wrote:

Well, only Rolex knows what the "Sub looks" is (or should be) isn't it? as far as Rolex imagination goes, why kill the goose that laid the golden eggs? "the design has been done to death" for a reason...people love it.

Yeah, I've been researching a couple models lately and find the imagination and innovation are in areas you can't see or wouldn't generally know about. Platinum bezel numerals on the new GMT-C, white gold borders on the Sub/ExplorerII hour markers, Parachrom Blu hairsprings, etc.
Last edited by Anonymous on July 28th 2012, 12:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 28th 2012, 12:17pm

My next watch.

If there's a god.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » July 28th 2012, 7:41pm

Steelhead wrote:I love me some Subs, but ... those fat lugs bother me. The ceramic bezel I can take or leave, not a big deal either way.

The lugs are'nt fat the bracelet is anorexic.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”