REVIEW: Citizen BJ2110-01e Promaster Eco-Drive (Aqualand?) Chronograph

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

REVIEW: Citizen BJ2110-01e Promaster Eco-Drive (Aqualand?) Chronograph

Post by jason_recliner » March 17th 2012, 7:31am

This is my most recent purchase:

It's the Citizen BJ2110-01E Promaster Eco-Drive chronograph. A pretty complicated title, which hints at the complicated nature of this watch. It has a depth gauge, so it is probably also an Aqualand, but that is not specifically labelled on the watch. Regardless, this is definitely a dive watch, and hence deserving of the Aqualand appellation. Discussion of this watch is scarce so I figured a brief review is worthwhile.

Promaster / Aqualand is a functional watch line. The are designed to fulfil a purpose first, and everything else second. The features are therefore more important than the aesthetic.

The watch is an ISO compliant 200 m water resistant analogue dive watch with an external timing bezel. It also includes an analogue 50 minute chronograph, and an analogue 24 hour time subdial. This watch also includes an analogue depth gauge, for a very comprehensive feature set. All, unfortunately, is not quite as useful as it might seem.

The depth gauge hand (blue centrally mounted hand), when not under water, functions as a power reserve indicator and also as the chronograph seconds hand. Depending on the level of battery charge, it can take several seconds for the depth gauge hand to realign itself such that it is ready to start timing.

Another feature which is less than functional is the 24 hour indicator at 9. These are pretty much useless, and a 2nd timezone subdial would be the obvious preference for a subdial at this position. Also, a 50 minute chronograph seems a little underdone. 12 hours would be great, although this would likely require additional hands and / or subdials. Not only is the chronograph a little limited in timing capability, but when it is reset the seconds hand must zoom backwards round and round the dial until the chronograph is reset to zero. Perhaps this is normal for a quartz chronograph, but it surprised me.

Other limitations? Lume is inadequate compared to the best divers (Seiko). The hands aren't bad, pretty good actually, but the lumed areas for the hour indices are tiny and woefully inadequate. The pushers don't actually screw down. Finally, a bracelet option would be good, although the OEM strap is very good.

The strap doesn't feel like natural rubber, and it doesn't feel like silicone. It might be polyurethane. It is quite thin and very supple, and secures the head against the wrist very well. The buckle is epic for a watch in this price bracket.

Ironically, for a watch which ostensibly prioritises functionality, it is actually the aesthetics, such as the proprietary buckle, which set this watch apart. After all, the same calibre is available in cheaper watches. The dial,as another example, looks to comprise a clear plastic layer (with printing as required) overlying a faceted solar cell. The 3D effect is unique, striking, eye-catching, deep, and expensive.

All of the black external highlights are DLC coated.

The bezel insert is engraved, with high contrast white markings, and lumed '60'. The bezel action is mechanically clicky; more like a Rolex or Omega than the smooth damped action of a Seiko. The signed Promaster crown is art – one of the best I have seen. It screws down extremely smoothly, too.

The BJ2110 feels like it is carved from billet and is indestructible.

In summary... it's hard to summarise this watch. It should be a functional dive instrument, and certainly could function as such. And yet, it is clearly functionally flawed. As a dive instrument it doesn't need to look flash, yet it is an extremely impressive watch aesthetically. The solid proportions, 3D layered gloss dial, and perfect DLC'd highlights lend this watch a definite and imposing presence.

The BJ2110-01E isn't perfect but, if this watch has appealed to you before on screen, it is likely to appeal doubly so in the metal. Just don't expect perfection.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: REVIEW: Citizen BJ2110-01e Promaster Eco-Drive (Aqualand?) Chronograph

Post by bedlam » March 17th 2012, 5:57pm

I agree with your main point. This watch is flawed genius. So much is right...and right beyond the price point, but there are those not unimportant niggles.

It should be pointed out that this is a very big watch, but it wears much smaller than expected and really comfortably. Definitely worth a look.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 16th 2020, 4:11pm

biglove wrote:
April 16th 2020, 3:54pm
I miss Jason.

Toby had some personal family issues that side tracked him. He no longer has watches and lost a lot during a divorce.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by biglove » April 16th 2020, 5:21pm

koimaster wrote:
April 16th 2020, 4:11pm
biglove wrote:
April 16th 2020, 3:54pm
I miss Jason.

Toby had some personal family issues that side tracked him. He no longer has watches and lost a lot during a divorce.
That sucks. Hate that for him. Marriage is either the single best or worst thing a man will ever do.

Fortunately, it was a life saver for me.
"When things are at their darkest, pal, it's a brave man that can kick back and party." - Lt. Tuck Pendleton, Innerspace

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”