AlbertaTime in the Tianjin Night (Utter Modem Carnage)

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

AlbertaTime in the Tianjin Night (Utter Modem Carnage)

Post by AlbertaTime » October 18th 2011, 9:29am

There will be more shots and details tomorrow night (or so) regarding Tianjin as a city, because Tianjin is pretty cool in the daytime too...but for now, here's just a selection of night shots in Tianjin, which I think is a spectacular city at night.

No comments...just photos that speak for themselves...

I'm headed back to Beijing tomorrow for my final couple of days. I already know it's not going to be easy to leave China.
Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 20th 2016, 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime in the Tianjin Night (Utter Modem Carnage)

Post by conjurer » October 18th 2011, 10:56am

TRU-LYE wrote:great pics..

Plus one.

And now, the most important question about any city... Is it possible to get really jaked relatively cheaply?
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@

Post by Guest » October 18th 2011, 1:17pm

I already know it's not going to be easy to leave China.

Yeah if I was you i stay there and never come back.
Those pics are smoke and mirrors. Why don't you go to the slums and take pictures there that's the real china. Looking at those pictures remind me of north Korea propaganda city. Fuck china
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 18th 2011, 1:33pm

Slowpo wrote:
I already know it's not going to be easy to leave China.

Yeah if I was you i stay there and never come back.
Those pics are smoke and mirrors. Why don't you go to the slums and take pictures there that's the real china. Looking at those pictures remind me of north Korea propaganda city. Fuck china

Perhaps you could take those slum pictures for us the next time you're over there.

Nothing like a little first person perspective - it's ever so much more satisfying than simply searching Google images for stuff that comports well with your prejudices...

Unless, of course, you're just blowing smoke out your ass and have never been there, never will, and base your assumptions on what other people have told you to think.

I await your trip report and pics.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » October 18th 2011, 1:41pm

It is hard to accept, for me anyways, the "paradise" that is shown in this travelogue. It is contrary to all I have heard and understood that communist society really is.
I'm not saying AT is reporting only the rosie picture...it just seems to "nice".
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 18th 2011, 1:57pm

Slowpo wrote:Why don't you shut the fuck up hawk. Everybody know that Alberta always had an agenda so fuck all this thread. If china is so fucking great why don't stay there Alberta?

So...

You're saying that Slowpo doesn't have an anti-China agenda?

Weak, dude, really weak.

As to the question at hand, I guess I might be psychologically incapable of STFUing in the face of blinding stupidity and prejudice. Once upon a time, in the dim and distant past, there were members of this forum that believed (or pretended to believe) that you weren't an unrecoverable bigot. My bet is that their numbers have dwindled.

How about you try not being a moron and I'll try not responding to your tiny-fisted, brain-damaged little rants?

Fair?

Kumbaya!
...bobbee
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 18th 2011, 2:54pm

Slowpo wrote:Oh hawk, you love watching yourself talk. In all your post there's a bunch of blah blah with little substance.

I don't hate all Asian I just hate the Chinese for their practices. If that makes me a bigot then fuck it.

We are agreed.

You hate Chinese and you're a bigot.
Fuck it.

I love it when compromise is so easily achieved.

A hint to the wise: don't start comparing your posts to mine for substance. You may not like the outcome.
...bobbee
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 18th 2011, 3:09pm

Slowpo wrote:I will never compare my post to yours hawk Because you are a bitch riding the Alberta wagon.

And you are a bitch riding the uniformed opinion of people without knowledge or context.

You are sad and bereft of the fortitude that it takes to re-examine your outlook.

Your credibility is nil. Your knowledge is lacking. Your opinions are those of your betters, parroted without insight or thought.

Get your sorry wrinkled ass over to China and take some pictures - otherwise you're just another twit repeating whatever bullshit you've read that appealed to you.

No knowledge, no experience, just blind-ass prejudice.

Try as I might, I simply can't generate any sort of respect for that sort of perfunctory "thought process" - it's much like watching an earthworm regenerate - oddly compelling but nonetheless creepy.

...bobbee
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Kahuna74 » October 18th 2011, 4:12pm

Great night shots Ron and thank you for taking them. I liked the back Allie shots that you already have taken and posted elsewhere. People need only look to see a lot of pic's from all over China that you have been putting up every day with a lot more joy than from people seeing them here.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 18th 2011, 5:40pm

The dogs for human consumption are farmed, so you won't see them in the streets. I saw some dog meat in a market in Vietnam and it looked superb. Deep, rich red, with fine marbling, not dissimilar to high grade wagyu in appearance. I wasn't game to try any though!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 18th 2011, 7:58pm

Falstaff wrote:Alberta is certainly getting the glossy, "made for Westerners" tour. Don't mistake the tip of the iceberg for the whole thing.

Well, in fairness, a few hundred photos of anything in China is only the tip of the iceberg, and while I admit that this particular post was only lights-flashing pretty stuff, it's possibly useful to keep in mind...

One: I've wandered any place I in China wanted to...and I've chosen where to go, every single minute of every day. At least so far, I've never been stopped or turned away. In every city I've been in, I've wandered at least 7 hours a day with no fixed itinerary (sometimes 10 or more hours, just on my feet, walking, camera in hand, turning left or right based on nothing more than my whims and curiosity.

It's not like Soviet-era Russia where I'm constantly accompanied by an Intourist government "guide/handler". I've walked all by myself, essentially always, while I'm here unless it's been one of the very few times I've spent actively with friends or at the SGWG facility. Solo time (not including sleeping etc) has accounted for roughly 80% of my stay.

Two: This is not an arranged tour, except for the Tianjin/Sea-Gull facility visit. I picked the cities, and I picked the hotels, and although I have friends here, as I said, I travel alone, including between cities. Well, by myself; lots of Chinese folks are travelling around China all the time, so they ride with me ;-). I can't afford a personal limousine.

Three: No one who has read my all reports (including about Beijing's hutongs or Shijiazhuang's back-alley market areas, for two examples) can reasonably accuse me of just hanging out in the glossy tourist areas. And I'm not finished yet with my posts. Just as I had photos of the rural areas between Shijiazhuang and Cangyanshan, I have similar photos of the rural areas between Shijiazhuang and Tianjin, and I'll be posting those too.

Four: North American or European or Central American slums are every bit as much the "tip of the iceberg" when it comes to those places, as well. So???

And even in my pretty photos of Tianjin, or my photos of everywhere else I've been, in both upper or lower scale neighbourhoods...did you notice that all the folks around me are Chinese? They're not odd Chinese, Falstaff, they're normal.

Would you (and/or Slowpo) prefer it, perhaps, if I photographed some panhandlers or drunks on the street, or a tenement or two? After all, I can very easily find slums and abject poverty in most countries (every country?) of the world, including Canada and you know it, or ought to. And I can do it just as easily in China, that's true.

But why should I feed those shallow stereotypes; they seem firm enough already without my help.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » October 18th 2011, 8:13pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
Falstaff wrote:Alberta is certainly getting the glossy, "made for Westerners" tour. Don't mistake the tip of the iceberg for the whole thing.

Well, in fairness, a few hundred photos of anything in China is only the tip of the iceberg, and while I admit that this particular post was only lights-flashing pretty stuff, it's possibly useful to keep in mind...

One: I've wandered any place I in China wanted to...and I've chosen where to go, every single minute of every day. At least so far, I've never been stopped or turned away. In every city I've been in, I've wandered at least 7 hours a day with no fixed itinerary (sometimes 10 or more hours, just on my feet, walking, camera in hand, turning left or right based on nothing more than my whims and curiosity.

It's not like Soviet-era Russia where I'm constantly accompanied by an Intourist government "guide/handler". I've walked all by myself, essentially always, while I'm here unless it's been one of the very few times I've spent actively with friends or at the SGWG facility. Solo time (not including sleeping etc) has accounted for roughly 80% of my stay.

Two: This is not an arranged tour, except for the Tianjin/Sea-Gull facility visit. I picked the cities, and I picked the hotels, and although I have friends here, as I said, I travel alone, including between cities. Well, by myself; lots of Chinese folks are travelling around China all the time, so they ride with me ;-). I can't afford a personal limousine.

Three: No one who has read my all reports (including about Beijing's hutongs or Shijiazhuang's back-alley market areas, for two examples) can reasonably accuse me of just hanging out in the glossy tourist areas. And I'm not finished yet with my posts. Just as I had photos of the rural areas between Shijiazhuang and Cangyanshan, I have similar photos of the rural areas between Shijiazhuang and Tianjin, and I'll be posting those too.

Four: North American or European or Central American slums are every bit as much the "tip of the iceberg" when it comes to those places, as well. So???

And even in my pretty photos of Tianjin, or my photos of everywhere else I've been, in both upper or lower scale neighbourhoods...did you notice that all the folks around me are Chinese? They're not odd Chinese, Falstaff, they're normal.

Would you (and/or Slowpo) prefer it, perhaps, if I photographed some panhandlers or drunks on the street, or a tenement or two? After all, I can very easily find slums and abject poverty in most countries (every country?) of the world, including Canada and you know it, or ought to. And I can do it just as easily in China, that's true.

But why should I feed those shallow stereotypes; they seem firm enough already without my help.

While your point is well-taken, AT, Falstaff's point is also valid. By conservative estimates, there are 700-800 million Chinese who live in abject poverty, while 200-300 million luckier souls are what we'd consider middle- or upper-class. While poverty is a serious issue in the Western World, and getting worse by the day, these are incredible numbers that the Chinese have to contend with.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 18th 2011, 8:15pm

conjurer wrote:And now, the most important question about any city... Is it possible to get really jaked relatively cheaply?

Yup. Easy. Cheap. Tasty.

Priceless.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 18th 2011, 8:22pm

conjurer wrote:
AlbertaTime wrote:

While your point is well-taken, AT, Falstaff's point is also valid. By conservative estimates, there are 700-800 million Chinese who live in abject poverty, while 200-300 million luckier souls are what we'd consider middle- or upper-class. While poverty is a serious issue in the Western World, and getting worse by the day, these are incredible numbers that the Chinese have to contend with.

No argument here.

That said, the Chinese, by everything I've seen, are working very, very hard to address the problem, and it's every bit as huge as you describe. The Chinese aren't ignorant of the issue and they aren't avoiding it.

They don't have the luxury of prattling philosophically about it from countries across an ocean; they have to deal with the complicated reality of the situation, which they are also quite willing to admit has not been helped by their own political decisions in the past. But poverty for the majority has never been unusual in mainland China, regardless of regime.

In fact, a very strong case can be made that better and more equitable living conditions for a higher percentage of the population has never been previously achieved under any Chinese government.

koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Post by koimaster » October 18th 2011, 9:50pm

AlbertaTime wrote:

But poverty for the majority has never been unusual in mainland China, regardless of regime.
In fact, a very strong case can be made that better and more equitable living conditions for a higher percentage of the population has never been previously achieved under any Chinese government.

For those not old enough to remember either pre WWII China or to have seen movies and photos of it, the chinese of today are far better off then when Chiang Kai-shek ruled with an iron fist and coolies as they were called were nothing but dirt to corrupt officials. Not to say that there have not been major issues with the iron hand of the old guard communist leadership who have slowly slipped away since the Tiananmen Massacre in 89 or so. The new leaders may not be the best choice we would vote for, but they are tech savy, many are former members of the Red Guard. For the record here, there are only about 60 million members of the communist party in china. A pittance compared to the population.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”