Just curious

foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Just curious

Post by foghorn » September 21st 2011, 3:42pm

The vast majority of WIS,it seems,like dive watches. Or more exactly "dive style watches" as a vast majority of the aforementioned vast majority seem to be comfortable in admitting that they don't dive or do anything close to water. (some do,but not many)

My question to those of us who do not dive but prefer the look is this:

Would you be happy wearing a "diver style watch" that does not meet ISO requirements by a long shot?

Would you buy a "diver style watch" if it had only a 100 meter WR?

If you don't intend to dive with it what does it matter? 100 m should cover most everything else and you like the way it looks.
Last edited by foghorn on April 16th 2020, 2:49pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Re: Just curious

Post by Bigjimzlll » September 21st 2011, 4:00pm

I might have a mistakened belief, but even if the watch isn't ISO I have the "comfort" of believing that it is still better constructed than the 100 meter watch.
Might not be...but in my little world it feels as though it does.
My 2000M Deep blue just feels tougher than my 1 or 200m cheapies.
DX
Watchlord WIS

Post by DX » September 21st 2011, 4:05pm

Back in the day I owned boats... First-mate on a fishing boat, aqua-cultured.

Spent my time on the ocean. We didn't have dive computers back then so a diver watch was what I wore.

Today divers don't wear a dive watch to dive, dive computers took over.

So I suppose, after hours wearing of dive a watch is more a symbol of who you are or who you want to be...
Mark1
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Mark1 » September 21st 2011, 5:20pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:I might have a mistakened belief, but even if the watch isn't ISO I have the "comfort" of believing that it is still better constructed than the 100 meter watch.
Might not be...but in my little world it feels as though it does.
My 2000M Deep blue just feels tougher than my 1 or 200m cheapies.

My thoughts also. I don't really need high WR rating but it's a sign of a solid build-if not over-engineered for my actual intended usage. I would guess that my only ISO certified watch is probably my Marathon GSAR, but I don't care enough to research it. Kind of a just wear it and don't worry about it deal. That's also why I don't spend a lot of money on any watch. Lately though, I've tended to move away from the "tool" divers toward classic pilot style watches.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Racer-X » September 21st 2011, 5:56pm

100M is fine by me. I don't dive or go boating. Ever. Just buy them for the rugged looks and supposed build quality.

That said I really didn't think about this until I noticed that half my watches had numbers around the bezel. Image

Post by Guest » September 21st 2011, 6:06pm

300m is the money for a dive watch IMO.

Anymore than that they start getting to bulky for my tastes.
fatman
ASSHAT

Post by fatman » September 21st 2011, 6:24pm

Not too worried about WR rating but the first thing I look for in any watch is whether it has a screw down crown. Not so much for WR but I ruined one of my favorite watches getting the crown snagged on my pocket and bent the stem.
HF
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 21st 2011, 7:41pm

fatman wrote:Not too worried about WR rating but the first thing I look for in any watch is whether it has a screw down crown. Not so much for WR but I ruined one of my favorite watches getting the crown snagged on my pocket and bent the stem.

This is a very good point, fatman. Also, a screwdown crown helps prevent any sort of moisture from getting into the watch and doing damage.

To answer the OP's question, while I'm a fan of dive watches, if it looks like a dive watch, I'd prefer that it has a WR of at least 200m. Like others have said in this thread, I find them better made.

Unless, of course, they're Invicta.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » September 21st 2011, 8:02pm

I used to be mr dive watch and will probably never dive. I'm with the herd here, if it's 1000M WR, I expect it to be tougher than 100M, but both are overkill.

Mostly it's bragging rights. Why else would anyone want a 10000' Seawolf or UTS or a 12,000+ ft. DSSD (not to mention the UNLIMITED depth liquid-filled SINN quartz.

The only watches I wear right now are 200M, 300M and occasionally the 600M.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 21st 2011, 8:20pm

BigCheez wrote:I used to be mr dive watch and will probably never dive. I'm with the herd here, if it's 1000M WR, I expect it to be tougher than 100M, but both are overkill.

Mostly it's bragging rights. Why else would anyone want a 10000' Seawolf or UTS or a 12,000+ ft. DSSD (not to mention the UNLIMITED depth liquid-filled SINN quartz.

The only watches I wear right now are 200M, 300M and occasionally the 600M.

Indeed. Real men wear dive watches. All others, particularly GMTs, are for Nancy boys.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Post by jaw » September 21st 2011, 9:35pm

Although I own about 4 high depth rated watches (Zinex, DB), I honestly never considered the depth in my buying decision other than some expectation of extra durability like the others. I usually buy based on case architecture and dial design first.
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » September 22nd 2011, 1:14am

Hell most of us could get by with 25 feet of WR.I go offshore fishing but I'm not getting in the water with a chum slick 2 miles long. Dive watches are more for look than use.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
JtN©
Senior Member & WIS

Post by JtN© » September 22nd 2011, 3:02am

It all depends ... if that deep depth watch your wearing has no provable certification to it than its really no better than an Invicta or any other wannebe watch company.

Now if it has all the proper certs and proof than of course it is supposedly a better made watch and such but ... then you also know why it is more expensive vs all the rest in the same price range without real certifications.

We all know many brands that fall into the believe what we tell you and we can't show you proof of what we say but believe what we tell you because its the truth.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » September 22nd 2011, 5:06am

i'd like all watches to be 200m rated. it guarantees you can swim in it or fall in the pool while drunk.
my Tag link is not a dive stle, but it is 200m rated, which makes it a very versatile watch.
100m doesn't really cut it since you aren't assured there will be no water damage even in a pool
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Post by Watch Noob » September 22nd 2011, 6:27am

I don't dive either, but absolutely love the stylings of Dive watches which make up the majority of my collection. I do partially agree with JtN's post, (gawd, did I just say that?) in the fact that if you can't prove it's 200M WR what good is it? I'll agree with this for the TV brands and a few others, but I don't get a cert with a Seiko, but their reputation stands on their own, and that's good enough for me.

In reality 100M is more than enough for my Martini glass.
Drifter on Watchlords
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 22nd 2011, 6:38am

Watch Noob wrote:I don't dive either, but absolutely love the stylings of Dive watches which make up the majority of my collection. I do partially agree with JtN's post, (gawd, did I just say that?) in the fact that if you can't prove it's 200M WR what good is it? I'll agree with this for the TV brands and a few others, but I don't get a cert with a Seiko, but their reputation stands on their own, and that's good enough for me.

In reality 100M is more than enough for my Martini glass.

Agreed; the Japanese brands, including Seiko, Orient and Citizen, very seldom list anything more than 200m on their dive watches; their 300m models tend to be extremely expensive, and only a few times do you see anything listed above 300. This makes me think that the Japanese brands really mean what they advertise.
OTMF
Senior Member & WIS

Post by OTMF » September 22nd 2011, 2:34pm

jason_recliner wrote:I'd rather have 200 m of Seiko or Citizen Diver's WR than 1000 m of Deep Blue WR.
This post secures your membership with Watchlords. at least from my viewpoint

WELL DONE SIR!
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 23rd 2011, 4:49am

I must be the exception 'round these parts. I own exactly two dive-style watches, one bought many years ago, and another just recently, but they're just beaters, both in worth and in my perception of them. I'm not hooked on dive watches at all, and actually could care less. I'll state it again: I don't own a space helmet since I'm not an astronaut. I'm probably never going diving, so....? And while we're on the subject, when I start timing foot races, I'll get really excited about chronos; gimme a 2824 and I'm ready to go. People say, "then why do you like Rolex so much?" I answer that the Cellini collection and the Oysters are my own personal great white whales, and invariably they say something "what's a Cellini" or that they're "unmanly." Screw you, goober; some of us have to be somewhere at night instead of perched in front of the Tee Vee watching Dancing With Your Dog or whatever.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DoctorIvey » September 23rd 2011, 5:09am

Great question. For me it depends on the price. I have an inexpensive Seiko diver used as a beater. It's so cheap that ISO compliance means nothing. It's just a cheap watch that runs great, is rugged, has great lume, and is styled like a dive watch. However, were I to spend in the four figures I'd want ISO compliance. Not because I need it. These TV dive watches with 1000 meter depth ratings remind me of that Invicta SAN fitted with a digital readout and sporting a rotating bezel. Of fake NACA ducts on cars or other non-functional things which are antithetical to my aesthetics.

I also love pilot watches (WW II style especially) though I'm not a pilot.

Among "real" dive watches does anyone here have the new Orient saturation diver? It appears to be a great buy, and to my eye is almost terrific. Personally I'd much prefer it to, say a Doxa or Kobold that might cost much more. This is the price range where ISO or some other compliance would matter to me.
eddiea

Post by eddiea » September 25th 2011, 2:10pm

jason_recliner wrote:I'd rather have 200 m of Seiko or Citizen Diver's WR than 1000 m of Deep Blue WR.

So we all jason...no kidding.
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » September 25th 2011, 2:24pm

ur sayin it rong. itz water "resistancy". i kno cuz thatz whut unca mikey callz it and the venim haz 1000 meters of it so it is bettr then all ur saykos n citzens

deepblu is just an invicta wannabe. no 1 can be as gud as invicta

kthksbai

Damn. Writing in Geek vernacular makes my head hurt. At any rate, I don't dive, nor am I smitten by the whole "diving" thing. I get the impression that it's one of style over substance.

Question: Wouldn't real professional divers use dive watches reviewed in diving trade mags or on sites devoted to professional diving, not based on what some schmo on a TV shoping channel claims is a real dive watch? It's like getting investment advice from your barber...
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Post by LIES ALL LIES!!! » September 26th 2011, 12:37am

Anyone remember the 100m Invicta Scuba? How about the ire it garnered at WG?

It's a dive watch, it should have the proper depth ratings. Just like how an automatic should be within certain specs +/- wise.

It would be like buying a sexy sports car with a 4 cylinder Ford Festiva engine and Firestone tires.

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”