If you have a weak stomach don't read this.

Seattle
Senior Member & WIS

Re: If you have a weak stomach don't read this.

Post by Seattle » June 13th 2011, 8:45am

Been to the clothing district in Taiwan......Nike and Reebok shit everywhere. A store keeper offered to buy the shoes right off my feet.
While at a bazaar in Mexico a shop keeper offered to trade 3 of his Nike tank tops for the one I was wearing (payed $4.99 at a closeout at Big 5)....I asked for 4 and a hat, done deal.

Post by Guest » June 13th 2011, 10:35am

What I dont understand is in the land of dishonest practices like offering fake watches such as this how can the guy have so much trust in their ethics. China is getting better and better everyday at faking shit and just because one of them tells you that its a swiss movement you believe them? We know china fakes the movements just as much as they fake everything else. It just makes me sick. I really dont understand the allure of a fake. So what if most people wont know its a fake? Most people wont even know or give a fuck whats on your wrist from 10 feet away. It could say panerai it could say parnis, no one is gonna fucking know in most any situation unless a conversation is struck with an individual about the watch. On top of that if your not a "Watch Person" chances are no one is gonna fucking know or understand any other brand name but Rolex, Omega or Tag heuer. So really the only person to fool is the person wearing it. Just makes no sense to me. One thing is for certain, I will no longer accept anyone trying to make me feel bad for owning and wearing my crotons while assholes like this exist.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » June 13th 2011, 1:52pm

foghorn wrote:I don't doubt the gist of the "story" but I do think there is an awful lot of embellishment here.
Somehow the ability of the seller to track this guy down all over the place doesn't sit right.

Trying not to be insensitive...if he was over 5'10" tall, I could see how he could be spotted.
Singerjohn
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Singerjohn » June 13th 2011, 2:16pm

foghorn wrote:I don't doubt the gist of the "story" but I do think there is an awful lot of embellishment here.
Somehow the ability of the seller to track this guy down all over the place doesn't sit right.

Especially "filled to the brim with people". Hell, I have a hard enough time finding that girl Ive been eyeing in a half empty bar.

Post by Guest » June 13th 2011, 3:01pm

I dont know. I tend to feel hes telling the truth about most of his ventures. The only part that I have a hard time buying is the fact that he thinks his fakes are of high quality. I also dont believe there would be many fakes there sporting true swiss movements. Sure its a valjoux 7750. But it wasnt a swiss valjoux.
crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » June 15th 2011, 10:07pm

boscoe wrote:Fascinating. I'll visit - if I ever get to China.
Won't buy. But will look.

Same here. I may pick up a watch band if its good, but has no brand name printed on it. Will that be considered a 'homage' as well?
wire-paladin
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 100007047102962

Post by wire-paladin » June 30th 2011, 11:45pm

have lived in asia for many years and believe every word. a westerner in a market=$! this is a land of no safety nets,food stamps,ssi,ss,medicare,unemployment$, thanks for the read Slowpa. Image Fakes are one reason i prefer vintage jap and usa pieces Image
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » July 1st 2011, 1:22am

Watch Noob wrote:Well I read through Part 3. Interesting read, the guy did not bore me that's for sure. I think the instance of the "Chinese Government Task Force" walk through says it all. These people make a living from ripping off legit companies with their fakes, right down to the holograms. The Government does not care, and essentially promotes it by playing this game of hide and seek. Very sad

Yeap... Chinese know how, at their best.
ocean
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by ocean » July 1st 2011, 1:53am

Have you seen in the past with childrens toys the recalls for lead paint that make's you start to think. I asked around and there is a common answer they don't care it's for Gaijin: outsider or inhuman that is what most think.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason

Post by Guest » July 5th 2011, 12:51pm

Very interesting, Slowpo! Thanks for posting. I tend to believe the story. I have a few friends who have done similar shopping in Hong Kong with custom suits. They pick the fabric, get their measurments taken, and pick up their custom suits 24 hours later. Three custom suits tailored to their liking for 50 bucks each. Admittedly, this is not counterfeit goods, but overall shopping experience was the same for my friends. Overwhelming to say the least.
RaiderFan

Post by RaiderFan » July 7th 2011, 11:15pm

It's believable, and after the stories of how terrorists use the profits from fake watch sales, all the more disturbing. They just busted a transplanted Saudi for having over 200K in fake goods including Rolex clones. His ties to muslim radicals are supposedly well esrablished, and this happened just over an hour from here, near my home town of Strasburg, Virginia, which is in the nothern Shenandoah Valley. The store is in what could be called the middle of nowhere, all alone on a sparsely populated country road about 65 miles from Washington. It makes me sick to think of how much this type of thing goes on.
sandoz

Post by sandoz » November 22nd 2011, 10:20am

Really interesting read. Thanks Slowpo.
I too had no problem believing the tracking the tall guy down part but thought that the author was unclear about what movements were placed inside the custom jobs. Couldnt tell if they were swiss or asian swiss knockoffs

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”