Hamilton Electric, Bulova Accutron and other cool vintage

ChronoMATT
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Hamilton Electric, Bulova Accutron and other cool vintage

Post by ChronoMATT » June 11th 2011, 8:56pm

Hi gents,

These are the watches that got me into collecting. They are from my collection. I will try to post some info on individual models.

Right-Click photos for an expando-view.

Hamilton Electric

Bulova Accutron

Zodiac Olympus

Longines Mystery Dial

Elgin Jump Hour

Last edited by Anonymous on July 2nd 2011, 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Re: Hamilton Electric, Bulova Accutron and other cool vintage

Post by koimaster » June 11th 2011, 9:14pm

I LOVE that Hamilton Electric! The rest of the collection is awesome also. I have been hoping to have some find their way here who love vintage watches. That forum is a bit forlorn and needs some love.

Great collection.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » June 12th 2011, 5:53am

A superb collection of Accutrons! How have you dealt with the battery issue - have you converted them or are you using the recently introduced semi-original battery with the 6 month run time? Still trying to decide which approach to take with my '76 218.
"...and I shan't quit ripping them till I do get buckled!"

J the R 1888
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » June 12th 2011, 7:21am

Thanks for the comments, gents.

I created a series of 'funky vintage watch' postings at the 'other forum' including personal pics, histories and thoughts. With the exception of a couple guys over there that have good taste, my series went nearly ignored, probably due to the brands not starting with an 'I', nor having Chinese components or are not over 48mm in size.

Dammit, these are the watches that made what 95% of the public wears today possible (for better or worse, quartz movements), especially those with original Hamilton Electric movements (the first mass produced battery operated watch) and Accutron movements (first mass produced electronic timepiece -- a 'tuning fork"? That must have gotten some initial laughs in the boardroom).

With your general consensus, I will migrate those posts over here and add to the series. If I say so myself, they are quite cool.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » June 12th 2011, 9:06am

Hi Falstaff,

Please excuse me if you are aware of the tech info/history shared below. I want to write to those whom may not have your knowledge.

I started collecting vintage Accutrons about 13 years ago and stopped when I felt my collection was nearly complete. My last vintage Accutron purchase was about 5 years ago. When I was heavily buying, selling and swapping, a standard model 344 battery was recommended, installed by most techs at the time, and have worked perfectly in my 218 movements for years -- without any movement alteration unless basic service was needed.

The 214 movement is a completely different story, of course. Once the US government banned mercury-oxide batteries decades ago, the silver-oxide model 287S became the go-to replacement if your watchmaker couldn't get their hands on imported originals. The 287S is a higher voltage cell (1.55 volts vs the original's 1.33 to 1.35 volts) and if used, a timing adjustment might be needed or more severely, a movement diode mod if you have an extra fast running "over-active" movement. When I was collecting, the 214s I received had past adjustments/mods for the 287S or didn't need it. Some technicians were/are against the diode mod, but what was one supposed to do at the time?

It looks like new and legal silver-oxide 1.33 to 1.35 volt cells are now on the market and are perfect for non-altered 214s. If I had the bucks, I would install these new batteries and de-mod/re-tune my 214 movements, allowing them to run as designed. There is a claim by at least one seller that these new $10.00 to $15.00 cells work with 218s as well. Based on my experience, I would just pop in a $1.00 344 and time the movement.

I am hoping someone else with 218 experience will chime in, too. In the meantime, here are a couple models I pulled out from the watch case shown above.

Falstaff wrote:A superb collection of Accutrons! How have you dealt with the battery issue - have you converted them or are you using the recently introduced semi-original battery with the 6 month run time? Still trying to decide which approach to take with my '76 218.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » June 12th 2011, 9:39am

Thanks, Foghorn.

At the time, there were many, many fake modified Spaceviews on the market (and probably still are). Sellers took a standard model and added NOS Spaceview hands and crystals, then claimed it to be original. Though several vintage watch websites had published Spaceview buyer guides, I was hesitant to buy due to the huge bucks they were fetching. Most of my watches came from eBay where they generally sold at true market value. Spaceview prices at commercial websites specializing in Accutron were way out-of-line.

I do have one semi-restored true asymmetric Spaceview I might spotlight someday.

foghorn wrote:Great vintage collection. The only 2 that I ever wear are my Accutron and a vintage Hamilton. I have a couple Timex electrics that no longer work but I can't bring myself to part with them.

Why no Spaceviews???

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”