What are your Watch Tastes

User avatar
Guest

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by Guest » May 19th 2011, 6:42pm

For me, I used to own a lots of autos, divers and high price brands.

Now that I am getting older, I prefer flashier watches. 42-46mm, gold, rose gold, Diamonds, all that. Most people were I live in California don't even wear watches anymore and have no clue what a high quality watch is. So I like my watch to stand out. I find Hami's and Rolex boring and I would rather use my Evo 4g to tell time than wear my grandfathers watch.

I also switch to wearing only quartz (I know), I am just too lazy to set watches anymore. I have daughters so, I have no one to leave my watches too.
User avatar
Guest

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by Guest » May 19th 2011, 6:53pm

rico college wrote:For me, I used to own a lots of autos, divers and high price brands.

Now that I am getting older, I prefer flashier watches. 42-46mm, gold, rose gold, Diamonds, all that. Most people were I live in California don't even wear watches anymore and have no clue what a high quality watch is. So I like my watch to stand out. I find Hami's and Rolex boring and I would rather use my Evo 4g to tell time than wear my grandfathers watch.

I also switch to wearing only quartz (I know), I am just too lazy to set watches anymore. I have daughters so, I have no one to leave my watches too.


Painful to read!?
User avatar
Guest

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by Guest » May 19th 2011, 8:04pm

I've come to like the classic designs. Simple uncluttered dials, ss case and band, although rubber, leather and exotic straps are ok. Dress watches with automatic mvts. are my preference.
Bourbon City
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 748
Joined: October 26th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by Bourbon City » May 19th 2011, 8:41pm

My prefered styles include the classic dress watch, the classic dive watch and the classic pilot watch. Mechanical and Automatic Movements are prefered, but the solor powered quartz is acceptable to me.

Diameters can range from 38mm to 44mm diameter with a maximum of 46mm. Examples include Foghorn's new Hamilton Automatic, the Rolex Submariener and Debarfre's Nav B-Uhr II.

I prefer hacking movements with a simple non-cluttered watch face, but neither will I remove from my wrist a nice complicated movement.

Polished or mat is prefered to brushed and I'll wear raw stainless, PVD and gold plated in addition to solid gold. Either saphire or mineral crystals will work for me. Bracelets or straps are both fine with me, but I prefer the ss bracelet in the summer and the leather strap in the winter.

The watch brand's reputation is more important to me than cost.

Aw heck guys, I like just about everything.

bc
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 33646
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by conjurer » May 19th 2011, 8:50pm

Bourbon City wrote:My prefered styles include the classic dress watch, the classic dive watch and the classic pilot watch. Mechanical and Automatic Movements are prefered, but the solor powered quartz is acceptable to me.

Diameters can range from 38mm to 44mm diameter with a maximum of 46mm. Examples include Foghorn's new Hamilton Automatic, the Rolex Submariener and Debarfre's Nav B-Uhr II.

I prefer hacking movements with a simple non-cluttered watch face, but neither will I remove from my wrist a nice complicated movement.

Polished or mat is prefered to brushed and I'll wear raw stainless, PVD and gold plated in addition to solid gold. Either saphire or mineral crystals will work for me. Bracelets or straps are both fine with me, but I prefer the ss bracelet in the summer and the leather strap in the winter.

The watch brand's reputation is more important to me than cost.

Aw heck guys, I like just about everything.

bc


That was fucking well said, bc. I agree with everything you wrote.
User avatar
surveyor
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 954
Joined: September 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Chickasaw, Alabama
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by surveyor » May 20th 2011, 2:45am

Man, that's kind of a tough question, I don't know that I have any real preference in styles as my collection is varied. I think I probably have more divers in my collection than any other style and I don't know why as I definitely don't dive, I guess it's just the way things worked out. I tend to buy a watch that I like based on the look of the watch rather than brand name, prefer autos to quartz but do own a few quartz watches and like them. Size wise I try to go around 42mm, no larger than 48 and no smaller than 40 though again I do own some smaller and like them. Prefer bracelet to strap. I have a lot of chrono's but am starting to prefer a more simple 3 hand.

I don't judge a watch by it's price, rather by how it looks and if it appeals to me. I try not to judge the wearer of the watch either, regardless of the brand he or she wears, always try to keep the attitude of Live and Let Live. Kind of like motorcycles, I ride a Harley and have for the last 15+ years but have owned many different brands and have always had the attitude that being on 2 wheels is being on 2 wheels no matter what you're riding, can't stand those assholes that think that if you're not riding a certain brand your ride aint shit. These days it seems like I'm seeing less and less men and women wearing watches so, if you have a wrist watch on, welcome to the club.
Michael
Last edited by Anonymous on May 20th 2011, 3:41am, edited 2 times in total.
lucky13
Posts: 178
Joined: February 18th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by lucky13 » May 20th 2011, 3:25am

42mm-44mm and up to 46mm....47mmm MAX for dive watches. I've started to lean towards the pilot style watches and in general 3 hand autos because of the relatively cleaner dials, but I would never rule out a nice chrono even though I have no use for the functionality of it. Although I prefer bracelet to strap the last 3 purchases have all been on leather and I love it, BUT it can't be a ten inch long strap like some companies put on their watches. Can't remember the last time I actually hunted down a quartz, but if the right one came along then I would have no problems owning it......at the right price.

I do want to add that after joing WL I've been exposed to alot of great info and different brands that I had no idea existed. I'm sure I've run across the same stuff elsewhere, but it hasn't been nearly as fun. Thanks guys.
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
Posts: 10881
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by Hawk » May 20th 2011, 6:17am

Since I've only been dabbling in the hobby since mid-2010 I suppose changes in taste will be likely.

I'm definitely tending towards quartz - I'm too clumsy for autos or they're too delicate for me. My meager collection right now is probably 80% auto - a year from now that will probably be inverted. If one has 5 Ball watches and 2 are out for repair one should take heed: the horological gods are trying to tell me something.

I prefer dials to not be overly busy but have a preference for world time complications (consistency, if it comes at all to my taste, will probably arrive next year). I dislike diver bezels but will overcome the prejudice if I like other aspects of the watch enough.

I prefer under 48mm - generally well under as in 40 or 42. I also have a weight limit - I don't know what it is in grams but I do know the Spacemaster crosses my personal line - or maybe it's the sharp edges on the clasp.

It's a voyage of discovery - I bought an Orient "retro-future airplane" and when it arrived I felt like the octogenarian that got a speedo for his birthday. Interesting but definitely not for me.

At least the fallen Ball ,if you will, has lent clarity to what I want next - late model Oysterquartz, Omega 007 quartz, Breitling Colt quartz, Alfex Black Light - that sort of thing.

TemerityB
Banned
Posts: 17979
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by TemerityB » May 22nd 2011, 1:30pm

Mark1 wrote:Even with an 8" wrist anything larger than that is just too big for me anymore.


Mark, you bring up a little moment from a couple of months ago, since you say you have an 8" wrist. A couple of months back, i visited a good, old friend in Florida, and I brought him a belated Christmas gift - a dive watch with a bracelet. He just took it out of the box and slapped it on, and it was perfect, no sizing required whatsoever. As a guy who sometimes has to use the last hole on more than a few leather bands, I was totally amazed, and more than a little jealous. Are you like that, too - have you ever picked up a new piece that was perfect for your wrist right out of the box?
"Funny how things that start spontaneously end that way. Eat a peach." - Neil Young
User avatar
hawkeye

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by hawkeye » May 22nd 2011, 2:43pm

It went from everything Quartz,But,I love the automatics,everything I have beening in the last 4-5 months have been autos.I do not think I will buy more quartz anytime soon other for the "work"watches and I cant afford a Omega auto,SO the quartz is about 2k..which will be going up according to my jeweler because everything is going "coaxial" which will more likely increase the cost.

dave
User avatar
BigCheez
ASSHAT
Posts: 5560
Joined: May 20th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by BigCheez » May 23rd 2011, 12:00pm

  • Corn-o-graphs RULE!
  • Swiss gold layering adds that touch of luxury without breaking the bank. It is also bonded at the molecular level, which adds a hi-tech flair.
  • Tritnight glows for an extended period of time.
  • Anything under 48mm is a ladies watch!
  • If I can't use Valu Payz, I wouldn't be interested. You can buy MORE watches if you use Val U Payz!
Image
User avatar
DoctorIvey (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1439
Joined: May 19th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by DoctorIvey » May 24th 2011, 5:07pm

Amen, brudduh. I'd just like to add that anything that can be done to make it different, for whatever reason, (e.g. bars over the crystal, movement that runs backwards) is a big bonus. I want large groups of strangers to point and say "Hey look at that guy!" My latest purchase is a 55 mm chrono with a low-oxygen complication. Even though it's big, weighty, and looks extremely odd, I'm looking for something even different. The bezel is large, see, so it plays smaller than it is. That chocolate dial though? Stunning.
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 9127
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by Falstaff » May 24th 2011, 5:44pm

TemerityB wrote:
timc. wrote:good question. nothing too big, too flashy no fake diamonds...


Glad you brought that up. One more point: I won't do diamonds - EVER. Not even the smallest chips. If there's any industry that gets away with murder, literally, it's the diamond industry. Makes the watch industry look like it's run by the Pope.

Now if I could only get my wife to listen to me...


If DeBeers Consolidated ever dumped their stock of diamonds held in vault, diamonds would be as cheap as Jimmy Skelton's smile.
Dies mei sicut umbra declinaverunt
morgan1124
Posts: 134
Joined: April 18th 2011, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Knoxville,Tn.
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by morgan1124 » May 25th 2011, 3:07am

I prefer...42 to 45 mm range in watches.
Chtonos are prefered
Auto movt
Have gone back to straps either rubber or leather.
Swiss made watches and have gone back tp mid teir to luxury brands now..buy less but better quality and service in the long run.
All mine are sport except for 2 dress watches
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
Posts: 10881
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by Hawk » May 25th 2011, 4:43am

DoctorIvey wrote:Amen, brudduh. I'd just like to add that anything that can be done to make it different, for whatever reason, (e.g. bars over the crystal, movement that runs backwards) is a big bonus. I want large groups of strangers to point and say "Hey look at that guy!" My latest purchase is a 55 mm chrono with a low-oxygen complication. Even though it's big, weighty, and looks extremely odd, I'm looking for something even different. The bezel is large, see, so it plays smaller than it is. That chocolate dial though? Stunning.


When I first started casting about the intertubz for info on watches I was told any sort of collection would benefit from something called a "theme".

I naturally latched onto "gimmicky" as a theme starting with an IK Coloring Ghost / Mystery watch that flashed its guts as two polarized crystals went into and out of alignment. However two problems prevented the theme from even getting started.

First, an Inspector Gadget theme can get expensive. The IK Coloring was OK, the Croton flashing casino light timepiece wasn't bad but the Thomas Prescher triple-axis floored me and the Urwerk UR-110 kicked me while I was down.

Second, few if any of the really gimmiked-up pieces were available in day-glo colors with case sizes over 60mm. As you've noted, size and weight are needed in order to assure random strangers stop, point and gawk at one's timepiece. Comes in handy too if you're ever tossed into the drunk tank with a dozen pissed off bikers. Ordinarily my pot-bellied, caved-in chest self would be concerned over how I would be accepted but if you're wearing a sub-aqua-bite-me arsenal hunter russian canteen with manly strap things go just swimmingly.

Makes you wonder why Audemars Piguet wasted a half-century setting one "smallest / thinnest" record after another. Some people just fight progress - how long did it take before a Bond Street tailor would even make you a brown suit? Lookit all the business they lost. Now they'll make you a zoot suit with a reet pleat in any color of the rainbow - some in spandex. We've come a long way.

User avatar
RaiderFan

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by RaiderFan » May 30th 2011, 5:11pm

TemerityB wrote:
Mark1 wrote:Even with an 8" wrist anything larger than that is just too big for me anymore.


Mark, you bring up a little moment from a couple of months ago, since you say you have an 8" wrist. A couple of months back, i visited a good, old friend in Florida, and I brought him a belated Christmas gift - a dive watch with a bracelet. He just took it out of the box and slapped it on, and it was perfect, no sizing required whatsoever. As a guy who sometimes has to use the last hole on more than a few leather bands, I was totally amazed, and more than a little jealous. Are you like that, too - have you ever picked up a new piece that was perfect for your wrist right out of the box?


I bought a Deep Blue Master 2000 III last week that fit me perfectly right out of the box. First time it ever happened in my life. Doubt it will ever happen again, but it was a very pleasant change of pace. BTW, I have an 8.25 inch wrist.
I'm glad to be past my hubcap size phase, but I have to admit it's had a lasting effect. Below 42mm has become almost a complete no go for me now, and anything above 48mm makes me feel like a walking clock.
Theme watches are okay I guess, though they still would have to meet my other criteria. Some theme watches are timeless enough, and the James Bond Omegas prove that to me. As with anything else it can be clownish and outright stupid looking. I think the Invicta Coalition Forces Sniper fits that definition perfectly. Can anyone think of a more stupid looking "theme" watch? I can think of a few that come close, but that's still the winner IMO.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 20120
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: What are your Watch Tastes

Post by foghorn » May 24th 2016, 9:26am

I have trended down on my size preferences in the past 5 years. I still have a couple over 45 mm but now I am more focused on the 36-40mm area.
But I have learned over the years to 'never say never'.
Post Reply

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest