Forum Direction

Re: Forum Direction

Post by Guest » May 5th 2011, 6:37pm

Alain, this is your house and I am simply a guest here. I would not want to do anything that would in the end harm or cause the forum to be seen as a joke. I have found myself being rather negative on a pretty regular basis but most of the time I believe it's spot on given some posts I read. As others have stated, it I need do something specific just let me know. As for the ignore feature I probably should use it but I still read the posts of those I don't agree with. My version of respect, I don't have to agree with you but I do have to respect your right to state it.
bigedsurf
WIS - Retired
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bigedsurf » May 6th 2011, 12:52am

jaw wrote:I'm here more than anywhere else and honored to be a member. So happens I went to XMT first (and was banned for it), where my eyes were opened considerably. After some necessary corrections to my collection and when XMT changed, I came here to keep tabs on the WG/IWG/Shop a-holes we love to out. I couldn't be more proud to be among those that made the slime check themselves (and WL) daily. Thank you for that.

Yes, the geekish troll behavior is distracting. I much prefer when the "real" WIS here (definitely not me), focus on the horological rather than troll abatement. Like Alain, I find much of the offensive commentary gratuitous and unnecessary. But WL is just another microcosm of our world - why should I expect the mix to be any different. Like the USA, I'm just glad there is a mix here period. Thank you for that too.

I don't use the ignore feature - just don't comment on that stuff anymore (well...not if I can help it). Hell, I may have been ignored myself - I don't know/care. Yes, I would like the WL credibility evolve into a respected consumer voice - but like Koi says, only the members can make it so - or not.

Thanks again for having me.

+1
time flies.........
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » May 6th 2011, 2:38am

I've always been one to give careful consideration before hitting the SUBMIT button, as my years on the forums have taught me that perception is everything. As someone said, there's no sarcasm font.

I don't post much and try to stay out of the controversies (I have enough daily) but really enjoy the humor, wit and wisdom that is exemplified here in virtually every thread.

I too have a great deal of respect for Alain, the forum that we're all a part of here, and its members.
Randy in Nashville
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » May 6th 2011, 5:59am

After sitting with it overnight, I feel the need to post a couple of thoughts.

Coming the day after it's posting, I can't help but wonder if this thread is inspired by or as a result of the critisism received from members at the DWC forum. Perhaps it's just coincidental.

Nobody likes to hear negative things about something you have worked hard to make a reality. I can think of nothing more negative or insulting for this forum and it's owner than to be compared to WG's. It's the ultimate dig.

I submit that the comparison is not due to the bashing of Invicta or the calling out of new members as trolls. This kind of thing is not allowed at WG's. I believe that the comparison was made due to this place being seen as a refugee for banned geeks. We have had a huge influx of geeks lately and the threads show it. At times, our forum almost has a geekish atmosphere. In another thread I compared it to Castro emptying out his prisons and sending them to the US just to fuck with us.

Invicta has well deserved what they've received. We don't even allow unsubstatiated claims here. Looking back I could only find a couple out of the last 25 new members that were confronted as trolls. Most of the time it turns out to be spot on. Let's face it, we've had a few come here with the intent of destroying this place.

My point is: If this place can be compared to WG's, it's because we have more former geeks here than any other forum and not due to any negative posts by seasoned members.

Personally, I don't feel that this forum has a negative tone. It has a truthful tone that has proven to give it credibility. An honest environment is often perceived as unpleasant by some, hence, our overly politically correct society.

If this thread or crack down on negative posts is because administration is tired of complaints or sick of reading negativity, I certianly respect that.

If it is in response to what others at DWC have to say about this place, then I am greatly disappointed.

In essence, this seems like an effort to control what is posted. I think this, at best, unsavory.

In any event, I have upmost respect for Alain and Jim and what they have done in the forum world. I stand by my first post in this thread and will respect their wishes to curb negative posts. I will not use the "ignore" feature. It's just stupid. I forsee myself greatly limiting the number of posts I make here in the future.

I mean no disrespect to admin., just had to say my piece.
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Post by Watch Noob » May 6th 2011, 6:10am

Ken if it is in some fashion a reaction to the DWC comments, I'd have second thoughts on the way Alain thinks. I could give 2 shits about DWC. I think their reaction and comments werre primarily out of jealousy more than anything. Everyone knows this forum isn't about membership numbers and hell between Koi and I we've cleaned out a few hundred members over the past year. When you visit DWC at any given time, it's usually the same 5 or 6 guys talking to each other. I think that's gotta sting a bit and thus some of the comments. They'd almost be better off using AIM.
Drifter on Watchlords
TRU-LYE
Senior Member & WIS

Post by TRU-LYE » May 6th 2011, 6:21am

Ditchdoc wrote:After sitting with it overnight, I feel the need to post a couple of thoughts.

Coming the day after it's posting, I can't help but wonder if this thread is inspired by or as a result of the critisism received from members at the DWC forum. Perhaps it's just coincidental.

Nobody likes to hear negative things about something you have worked hard to make a reality. I can think of nothing more negative or insulting for this forum and it's owner than to be compared to WG's. It's the ultimate dig.

I submit that the comparison is not due to the bashing of Invicta or the calling out of new members as trolls. This kind of thing is not allowed at WG's. I believe that the comparison was made due to this place being seen as a refugee for banned geeks. We have had a huge influx of geeks lately and the threads show it. At times, our forum almost has a geekish atmosphere. In another thread I compared it to Castro emptying out his prisons and sending them to the US just to fuck with us.

Invicta has well deserved what they've received. We don't even allow unsubstatiated claims here. Looking back I could only find a couple out of the last 25 new members that were confronted as trolls. Most of the time it turns out to be spot on. Let's face it, we've had a few come here with the intent of destroying this place.

My point is: If this place can be compared to WG's, it's because we have more former geeks here than any other forum and not due to any negative posts by seasoned members.

Personally, I don't feel that this forum has a negative tone. It has a truthful tone that has proven to give it credibility. An honest environment is often perceived as unpleasant by some, hence, our overly politically correct society.

If this thread or crack down on negative posts is because administration is tired of complaints or sick of reading negativity, I certianly respect that.

If it is in response to what others at DWC have to say about this place, then I am greatly disappointed.

In essence, this seems like an effort to control what is posted. I think this, at best, unsavory.

In any event, I have upmost respect for Alain and Jim and what they have done in the forum world. I stand by my first post in this thread and will respect their wishes to curb negative posts. I will not use the "ignore" feature. It's just stupid. I forsee myself greatly limiting the number of posts I make here in the future.

I mean no disrespect to admin., just had to say my piece.
to be honest and I very well be wrong, but I think it's more of him being tired of people complaining to him about the day to day b.s. that goes on.
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » May 6th 2011, 6:27am

I guess it just seems very coincidental that the points Alain makes are the very critisisms DWC members made the day before. I've never known Alain to want change the direction of a forum based on what another forum has said.

@ TL. I can understand complaints can be tiresome. If that's the case I guess I can understand it but I don't have to agree with it, just abide by it or move on.
dude
Senior Member & WIS

Post by dude » May 6th 2011, 6:52am

Rather than my previous vague and somewhat generic response, I'd like take it a little further.

The back and forth, the little snipe-y shots taken at each other between forums gets tiresome. I have not been around a long time . . . but it has been long enough for me to have learned to ignore it all.

I'm a member at the DWC, and I am very happy there. I find great watches and great people as well. Just as with here, the DWC was born of dissatisfaction with another or other forums. It is that membership's vision of what a watch forum should be.

There are a few forums I do not like at all. Agenda driven sites are not generally for me, loosely moderated boards suit my tastes better. Having some guy jump in every third or fourth post to "keep it on topic guys" pisses me off to no end. I don't need to be part of the world according to whomever.

As for the geek influx, the header is sort of an open invitation . . . "The first stop . . . ."
. . . it leads some to believe this where they should come to, yet lo and behold when they get here and find out that a helmet and nomex gear may be required. Oh well.

Time changes everything. We wear watches to keep track of that.
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Aqua Homer » May 6th 2011, 6:58am

What is this day-to-day b.s. that is going on Tru-Lye? I'm curious of your thoughts on that.

I think it is a little of both as far as the reason for this thread. I think thin skinned members or ex-geeks come here and are shocked by the rules and nature of this forum. I think they ultimately whine to Alain or Jim about being attacked or treated badly. I believe that there are seasoned members here as well, that are the "rose colored glasses" type, who get seriously offended by some of these posts, and some of the more aggressive members like myself, and can't help but to pm Alain crying "so-and-so is being mean again".

That said, I agree with Ken as well. I think that Alain has a reputation "in some small circles" as being fanatically obssesed with bringing down Jim Skelton and Invicta. Many have seen this site as wholly devoted to exposing Invicta and we may seem a bit overzealous. Some believe we are cut from the same cloth as Skelton, Davis, etc....just on the opposite side. I am Ok with that.
I am here for two reasons only..... All of my old (from pretty far back mind you) forum friends are here... Koimaster, Foghorn, Boscoe, DX, Datsun, EddieA, etc.... and some very good recently added friends from a year or two ago, like DitchDoc, WatchNoob, and BigJim.
The second reason, is that Alain allows me to speak my version of the fucking truth here without being banned. Yes, everyone will tell you that I have been banned from every watch forum in existence, and with the exception of PMWF, this is true. I am proud of this. I dont like bullshit, and Alain allows me a place to live with my friends. For that I thank him and Lords.
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » May 6th 2011, 7:06am

You're right Dude. Sorry if I offended you man.

I feel the same way about DWC. It's a good forum.

I haven't noticed the banner on this forum in quiet some time. I guess it is a open invitation. Not sure what I expected really. I guess I liked that WL's was kind of the oppisite of WG's. Now it's almost a parallel. All things do change as you said.

@ AH. You say it much better than I do and use fewer words. I think your spot on.
TRU-LYE
Senior Member & WIS

Post by TRU-LYE » May 6th 2011, 7:28am

Aqua Homer wrote:What is this day-to-day b.s. that is going on Tru-Lye? I'm curious of your thoughts on that.

I think it is a little of both as far as the reason for this thread. I think thin skinned members or ex-geeks come here and are shocked by the rules and nature of this forum. I think they ultimately whine to Alain or Jim about being attacked or treated badly. I believe that there are seasoned members here as well, that are the "rose colored glasses" type, who get seriously offended by some of these posts, and some of the more aggressive members like myself, and can't help but to pm Alain crying "so-and-so is being mean again".

That said, I agree with Ken as well. I think that Alain has a reputation "in some small circles" as being fanatically obssesed with bringing down Jim Skelton and Invicta. Many have seen this site as wholly devoted to exposing Invicta and we may seem a bit overzealous. Some believe we are cut from the same cloth as Skelton, Davis, etc....just on the opposite side. I am Ok with that.
I am here for two reasons only..... All of my old (from pretty far back mind you) forum friends are here... Koimaster, Foghorn, Boscoe, DX, Datsun, EddieA, etc.... and some very good recently added friends from a year or two ago, like DitchDoc, WatchNoob, and BigJim.
The second reason, is that Alain allows me to speak my version of the fucking truth here without being banned. Yes, everyone will tell you that I have been banned from every watch forum in existence, and with the exception of PMWF, this is true. I am proud of this. I dont like bullshit, and Alain allows me a place to live with my friends. For that I thank him and Lords.
I have no idea what it is I’m not one of the members sending him p.m.'s to complain. So you would have to ask Koi what the actual complaints(day to day b.s.) are. As for me I have no complaints, and deal with whatever issues I have with whom I have them with whenever they arise..
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 6th 2011, 8:11am

In regards to the "ignore" thing for stupid newbies, I should take this advice to heart. Several times in the past I've stuck up for new guys who were getting the jumping-in treatment, and every time I was wrong about their character and looked like an idiot.

One drawback to the ignore policy is, however, that if it's taken to the extreme, we might start hearing crickets around here. Just sayin'.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » May 6th 2011, 1:01pm

conjurer wrote:In regards to the "ignore" thing for stupid newbies, I should take this advice to heart. Several times in the past I've stuck up for new guys who were getting the jumping-in treatment, and every time I was wrong about their character and looked like an idiot.

One drawback to the ignore policy is, however, that if it's taken to the extreme, we might start hearing crickets around here. Just sayin'.

There is two things wrong with the ignore function. First when ever a ignored dickweed post's, it brings it back to the top. Second...it never fails...someone will quote the dickweeds post and I get stuck reading it.
OTMF
Senior Member & WIS

Post by OTMF » May 6th 2011, 1:07pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:There is two things wrong with the ignore function. First when ever a ignored dickweed post's, it brings it back to the top. Second...it never fails...someone will quote the dickweeds post and I get stuck reading it.
BigJim, am I still on your ignore list?
Somebody quote this~!~!~!
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » May 6th 2011, 1:10pm

OTMF wrote:
Bigjimzlll wrote:There is two things wrong with the ignore function. First when ever a ignored dickweed post's, it brings it back to the top. Second...it never fails...someone will quote the dickweeds post and I get stuck reading it.
BigJim, am I still on your ignore list?
Somebody quote this~!~!~!

No..you've earned your way off of it ...for now...lol
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 6th 2011, 1:16pm

1. It has nothing at all to do with DWC, they can go on doing what they do and I could care less. I am not a member, have no plans to ever be and that is that.

2. It does have something to do with the recent bullshit with TSchilling and someone using a variation of his ID, his family photos (read the tos) and emails and facebook posts made to him

3. It does have something to do with the cut & paste job done recently in regards to deep blue. Read my original post.

4. It does have something to do with assnine remarks like "skull fuck palin". What the hell is something like being posted in an open forum and off topic. Posts like that are no less trollish than " what do you think of my 65mm...."

5. I do not like reading someone posting that we invaded their privacy, threatened them or pretended to be them at other forums. Regardless of whether the person involved had an agenda which I suspect they did, the actions they claim did in fact occur and were done by a member here. It makes us look as bad as WG.

Nothing changes here but for christ sakes, I wish some of you would think before you insert your foot in your mouth. If you want to do so, do it in the members forum.

This is your forum, I am a caretaker and one day I will hand the reins over to someone else to be one of the Admins. With that said, I do not really care what the DWC, XMT or any other forum says about this place. They run their forums as they choose. We run watchlords as the members choose.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » May 6th 2011, 2:59pm

With all due respect...

I know nothing about the Palin incident but all the other ones you mentioned about threatening emails, changing ID's, using others pics and hacking accounts were all perpetrated by one asshole member which admin promptly dealt with. I guess I'm just not sure why a blanket statement about negativity was needed.

Not looking for a argument here. You certianly don't owe me an explanation or anything else for that matter. There may be other incidence that you have not mentioned. You have done an outstanding job here. I like the way you originally designed the place and hate to see it change. I know with growing mebership that's probably unavoidable if you are to accomodate everyone.

I will now go fuck myself. Just because it's easier to take when I have some feeling of control. Lol!
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Post by Watch Noob » May 6th 2011, 3:08pm

Alain, thanks for giving specific examples in your last post. Your thoughts are spot on. We seems like the frickin WC site here with some of the posts from the members. You have a reputation to keep up and I can respect that. This forum is a direct reflection on you. Please don't offer me the reins to this place because I will respectfully deny them everytime, I don't have the patience for this. If it were up to me, I'd have banned 75% of the forum and gone back to the good old days when there were 20 or so of us.
Drifter on Watchlords
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 6th 2011, 5:57pm

Watch Noob wrote:respectfully deny them everytime, I don't have the patience for this. If it were up to me, I'd have banned 75% of the forum and gone back to the good old days when there were 20 or so of us.

And just like that we are minus 50 members!

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » May 6th 2011, 6:04pm

Who cares?

Remember, it's not about numbers. Only a couple of dozen are active posters anyway.
Bourbon City
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Bourbon City » May 7th 2011, 7:17am

I do not post as often as others. When I do post, I try not to be negative even when it is a negative post and it is a subject I feel something about.

I often type out my reply to a thread and then not hit the send button. I find this lets me particapate with my frustrations vented to satisfaction. There's just no proof that I did so. I do not use profanity even when I type out a ghost reply. I think you will find I use the words shame, darn and heck alot when I post my frustration in a thread.

I find this Forum informative, amusing and entertaining. I spend a lot of time here, even though I don't post on each visit. I am glad to be a member, I hope I post enough times with enough quality comments that I am allowed to stay.

bc

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”