Forum Direction

koimaster
Founder

Forum Direction

Post by koimaster » May 5th 2011, 8:30am

As we all know, this forum was set up for adults as a self-moderated forum. I have noticed a trend which is getting to be annoying not only to me but to the 40 or so people who have sent me PMs over the last month of so with complaints. These are not complaints from nebies but from regulars. I discount some complaints as I know the mindset of some of those who have sent them. Others have surprised me. When regulars who have been here for a long time start making comments, I have to review what is going on.

First off, this sub forum is for those invited here. It is a members forum and not every member gets into this place. Most do not know it exists for a reason. It is a place where invited members can say what they might not say outside in public forums. What is posted in here stays in here. I was a bit surprised to find a copy and paste job from this foum on the outside in an open thread with a link to this sub forum. That is a no no. What is here stays here, just like the commercial says, "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".

Secondly, we accuse members at other forums of being trolls or if someone posts something we comment they are trolls. That is fine and dandy and I have no issue with it. I do have an issue with trollish behavior by us. Some (no names mentioned but AH, I do not mean you) act no better than geeks and while it can be amusing to me to see such behavior from some, it is giving this place a bad name.

This first and foremost a watch forum. It is not wicked water cooler, not WG and not anywhere else. I have said this in the past, self moderated means think before you post. Not everyone is a troll or a shill nor a fag nor anything else. I do not worry about spies, only spammers and hackers. No one else should either.

If you look at the member list for this forum, no newbies are here. Everyone in this forum was added by Jim or myself because we or others felt you had earned your way here. There are about 50 members of this sub forum. I do not see it growing much over the coming year. Only those nominated by members here or by the founders get in here. That is why it is private.

I also want to address something I have noticed over the last few months. That is Watchlords is being mentioned in the same breath as Watchgeeks. Not as a counter forum to the claims by watch companies or similar things but as a joke, just as watchgeeks is. I will not let this place become a joke on the net. I will close it down before that happens. Members make this place, they can also break it. You might want to think about that. It does not mean censorship or moderation. It means act like the adults you are while still having fun and enjoying the forum which is here for you, not for me. It means you can still take shots but think about where the topic is.

Several forums have been moved out of the public view and only can be seen by members including the skel closet. No sense if giving that idiot anymore free advertising.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Forum Direction

Post by Aqua Homer » May 5th 2011, 9:00am

Uh Oh........ We've gone and pissed off the boss. Purely and ONLY out of my respect for you Alain, I will slightly curtail my unrelenting, vicious attacks. That said, those of you who complained to the forum owner via private message are pussies.

All joking aside, even though you specifically said it wasn't me, I know I am rougher than I need to be, and will chill out a bit.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 5th 2011, 9:08am

Aqua Homer wrote:Uh Oh........ We've gone and pissed off the boss. Purely and ONLY out of my respect for you Alain, I will slightly curtail my unrelenting, vicious attacks. That said, those of you who complained to the forum owner via private message are pussies.

All joking aside, even though you specifically said it wasn't me, I know I am rougher than I need to be, and will chill out a bit.

I pointed you out for a reason and that reason is I have no issues with what you do. You and I have known each other for years and if I had something to say to you it would be in private. No need to chill Mike. I am far more concerned about other behavior here. Some just do not think before they type. In your case you are deliberate in tuning Image

1946-2006

TRU-LYE
Senior Member & WIS

Post by TRU-LYE » May 5th 2011, 9:15am

koimaster wrote:
Aqua Homer wrote:Uh Oh........ We've gone and pissed off the boss. Purely and ONLY out of my respect for you Alain, I will slightly curtail my unrelenting, vicious attacks. That said, those of you who complained to the forum owner via private message are pussies.

I pointed you out for a reason and that reason is I have no issues with what you do. You and I have known each other for years and if I had something to say to you it would be in private. No need to chill Mike. I am far more concerned about other behavior here. Some just do not think before they type. In your case you are deliberate in tuning Image
this have anything to do with hate speech?
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Aqua Homer » May 5th 2011, 9:18am

Fair enough and thank you, but I have been thinking lately that all I do is look for guys to attack here. I forget I know a fair amount about watches, and even have a few of them too! Maybe it is time we all chill a little bit. Skelton is gone, Invicta and SNBC are still fodder, but fading, and this is the only place where almost each and every one of my old forum friends still reside.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 5th 2011, 9:59am

Aqua Homer wrote:Fair enough and thank you, but I have been thinking lately that all I do is look for guys to attack here. I forget I know a fair amount about watches, and even have a few of them too! Maybe it is time we all chill a little bit. Skelton is gone, Invicta and SNBC are still fodder, but fading, and this is the only place where almost each and every one of my old forum friends still reside.

True about skel which is one reason I moved the skel forum out of public sight. @tru-lye, not about hate speech although it can tiresome at times. More about idiotic comments that are so far off the wall that they offend just about everyone and some of the trollish behavior which is not from newbies. When the place is not fun anymore because of that crap, what does that say about us?

1946-2006

mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Post by mrneddles » May 5th 2011, 10:03am

AH should not blunt his edge.

How do you have a legitimate forum, and yet still have people asking where to find a real 50mm watch as their first thread? Maybe have a mandatory amount of posts or time period before being able to start threads?
Senior Member & WIS

Post by 32771 » May 5th 2011, 10:13am

mrneddles wrote:How do you have a legitimate forum, and yet still have people asking where to find a real 50mm watch as their first thread? Maybe have a mandatory amount of posts or time period before being able to start threads?

I think whether or not a watch is a "real 50mm" is left to everyone's individual opinion. If someone posts such a thread, it can be ignored...

I do think there are times "plants" are put here and post something like that (50mm watches) to see how the forum will react. As I have said before, I do think some at WGs do play us.

However, I do get a good laugh with some of the replies to the, what I will call, dumb threads. Does that make me childish? Probably, but F-it. Image

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » May 5th 2011, 10:24am

Foghorn has said it best, if you think someone is a troll, ignore, ignore, ignore.

I personally am trying to avoid all mentions the 3 stooges and their dealings when they are of no relevance in a thread. For example, I used to compliment someones watch and then take a shot at the Big I, but all this does is cause the thread to derail into an Invicta discussion.

DBCooper
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DBCooper » May 5th 2011, 10:53am

All I can say is I am glad to be here. This place played a big part in my shortlived time as a GEEK. When I joined here all I had was 3 Invictas, a couple of Swiss Legends, a couple of Androids and even a Turdling Original (first time I've admitted that here Image ) and didn't have a clue about what was a decent watch. I'm no moron and would have figured it out on my own but this place got me moving in the right direction pretty quick. My horological expertise is pretty slim but I'm learning.

I still feel like a newb here. To this day I haven't welcomed any new members because I still consider myself a new member. This is the only forum I participate in and have no plans on going anywhere else. Thanks for letting me in here.
:koolad:

After all, no ham-wristed louts complained when all watches were 34mm - no cries of "looks like a little girl's watch on my wrist!" Like King Canute on the beach, that's where I draw the line - come what may.

Falstaff, May 19, 2014.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » May 5th 2011, 11:17am

Northwestguy wrote:You raise some very important points Alain. It helps to clear the air every now and then. I am glad to be a part of the forum albeit a small part.

Dude, you have some nice watches, we need you here otherwise the shitty watches in WURW threads would be even shittier.
fatman
ASSHAT

Post by fatman » May 5th 2011, 12:58pm

I know I am glad to be a member of this forum. I joined last summer and looked around and read A LOT of info without being active. Went back to wallyworld and reflected on what I had learned and observed it and found many, many things said here to be 100% true. Came back here joined again and became very active as i contacted a few friends there and let them know I was leaving and would not be back.

Since I have been here this year I have been welcomed and helped by some of the founding members and harassed by some of the others.

No problem with that, I have to earn respect. But even those that have harassed for a lack of better term ( aqua homer, foghorn and dx ) to be specific have watch knowledge that I can learn from. I look at it like initiation.

I will be here for the long haul and am glad when people call me out when I might put my foot in my mouth.
We all learn from mistakes.

Wallyworld was my first forum period. Hell, I bought my first computer to be there. It did not take me long to realize it was not going to be for me.

Glad to be here Alain and thanks for having me.
HF
Ditchdoc

Post by Ditchdoc » May 5th 2011, 2:02pm

Yep..me as well. Sorry bout that. It will be difficult for me to curtail my distain for some and not to speak my mind. I will just have to post less. Thanks
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Post by Watch Noob » May 5th 2011, 2:23pm

As the forum becomes larger, so do the complaints. I have had several PM's as well. More to do with some Trolls who have already been given the boot. I love this forum for several reason, but the biggest reason is the mixture here. I think we have some great members, and where else can you read so much about various watch brands and be able to comment freely? Alain, you're doing a great job, I have to check myself at times too. I've been spending more time jumping on the Invicta, Slop bash wagon than anything. Now that they've announced 4 new lines, it's going to be like taking crack away from an addict Image
Drifter on Watchlords
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » May 5th 2011, 4:00pm

I'm not sure what brought this is on, but if there is anything I can do let me know. Like any group there are some posts or posters that make me wonder WTF, but this is my favorite watch forum-by a large measure. As far as I am concerned, people should deal with their own issues, and not rely on Koi or Noob to police the internet for them.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » May 5th 2011, 4:57pm

All I know is that this is the first place I turn to to read about watches in general. I lurk in other forums, but I post here, and if I have any news or items I think are interesting, this is where I choose to put them.

There are many who only read the harsh comments and think that's all this place is. But this IS "The Original And Only Uncensored Watch Forum." When things have gone too far over the line, the mods and owners here have taken care of things. To my way of thinking, it's just great to have a place where no brand's shills can muddy up the water with blatant conflicts of interest.

There's been some collateral damage, but those who ran off obviously wouldn't have enjoyed themselves for one reason or another.

IMO, this place rocks.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Aqua Homer » May 5th 2011, 4:59pm

Mark1 wrote:I'm not sure what brought this is on, but if there is anything I can do let me know. Like any group there are some posts or posters that make me wonder WTF, but this is my favorite watch forum-by a large measure. As far as I am concerned, people should deal with their own issues, and not rely on Koi or Noob to police the internet for them.

Quoted for truth.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 5th 2011, 5:01pm

It would never occur to me to privately complain to the management about someone else's posts regarding me, my viewpoint or the way I state it.
I had always imagined that in online arguments, as in real life altercations, some you win, others you lose and in still others, everybody looks like an idiot and you shamefacedly go home. In any case, it is what it is, you take your lumps and you just go on from there. Nobody calls the cops. Sticks and stones, right? Needless to say, actions taken above and beyond the exchange of words are another matter and authorities are rightly involved.

I will readily admit to a low tolerance for fools, braggarts and sons of bitches and will, on rare occasion, call one out peremptorily although that is not my typical style. And I will say that if sufficiently provoked, my intention is most certainly to hurt feelings and deal out public humiliation with my posts.

All that being said, I will not willingly jeopardize the reputation of the forum which has accepted me as a member and I certainly do not wish to be perceived as a bully. I detest bullies. I believe in the rules common among gentlemen and fair play is one of them. If I've violated those rules, then I apologize to those whom I've offended. I like to imagine that I call 'em the way I see 'em, but as an avowed cynic, my glass is almost always half empty and as a general smart-ass, it's difficult to pass up an opportunity to offer a bon mot or point out a gaffe'. I will try to be kinder or I'll just keep my fucking mouth shut.
Last edited by Anonymous on May 5th 2011, 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: realized that I misspelled "jeopardize" - fixed it
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Aqua Homer » May 5th 2011, 5:08pm

Falstaff wrote:It would never occur to me to privately complain to the management about someone else's posts regarding me, my viewpoint or the way I state it.
I had always imagined that in online arguments, as in real life altercations, some you win, others you lose and in still others, everybody looks like an idiot and you shamefacedly go home. In any case, it is what it is, you take your lumps and you just go on from there. Nobody calls the cops. Sticks and stones, right? Needless to say, actions taken above and beyond the exchange of words are another matter and authorities are rightly involved.

I will readily admit to a low tolerance for fools, braggarts and sons of bitches and will, on rare occasion, call one out peremptorily although that is not my typical style. And I will say that if sufficiently provoked, my intention is most certainly to hurt feelings and deal out public humiliation with my posts.

All that being said, I will not willingly jeapordize the reputation of the forum which has accepted me as a member and I certainly do not wish to be perceived as a bully. I detest bullies. I believe in the rules common among gentlemen and fair play is one of them. If I've violated those rules, then I apologize to those whom I've offended. I like to imagine that I call 'em the way I see 'em, but as an avowed cynic, my glass is almost always half empty and as a general smart-ass, it's difficult to pass up an opportunity to offer a bon mot or point out a gaffe'. I will try to be kinder or I'll just keep my fucking mouth shut.

Yet another quoted for truth.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Post by jaw » May 5th 2011, 5:38pm

I'm here more than anywhere else and honored to be a member. So happens I went to XMT first (and was banned for it), where my eyes were opened considerably. After some necessary corrections to my collection and when XMT changed, I came here to keep tabs on the WG/IWG/Shop a-holes we love to out. I couldn't be more proud to be among those that made the slime check themselves (and WL) daily. Thank you for that.

Yes, the geekish troll behavior is distracting. I much prefer when the "real" WIS here (definitely not me), focus on the horological rather than troll abatement. Like Alain, I find much of the offensive commentary gratuitous and unnecessary. But WL is just another microcosm of our world - why should I expect the mix to be any different. Like the USA, I'm just glad there is a mix here period. Thank you for that too.

I don't use the ignore feature - just don't comment on that stuff anymore (well...not if I can help it). Hell, I may have been ignored myself - I don't know/care. Yes, I would like the WL credibility evolve into a respected consumer voice - but like Koi says, only the members can make it so - or not.

Thanks again for having me.

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”