From Texas with passion

Watch brands with roots in North America
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

From Texas with passion

Post by koimaster » June 21st 2017, 3:34pm

You might ask yourself what have in common a pilot, Austin Texas, war heroes, history and watches. The answer is simple: a watch passionate and collector, Steven Lee decided to fulfil his hobby and a dream. His dream was kept safe from the outside world in a notebook. All of his drawings and notes were not intended to become a real watch. Till one day… in this way the Bergstrom watch was born.

http://www.watchisthis.com/texas-passio ... bergstrom/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: From Texas with passion

Post by Mark1 » June 21st 2017, 3:56pm

I didn't see it mentioned in the article but there was also an Air Force Base named after Bergstrom near Austin. I think it went the way of BRAC some time ago. I'm not real fond of the font that spells the brand but the ADI subdial is interesting, perhaps only in a way that a pilot could appreciate. Decent looking watch all around.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 21st 2017, 4:44pm

Nice, but 50mm? FFS!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » June 22nd 2017, 6:04am

Codguy Johnson is absolutely right.

Additionally, I had the following thoughts:

- I like the fact that they named the watch after a brother Airman, especially one who died on 7 December 1941.
- Their description indicates that the watch has a 41.5mm case width, then, one paragraph later, they say that it's 50mm. (Since the Swiss ETA 6498-1 is basically a pocket watch movement, my guess is that the case is probably 50 vice 41.5mm in width...)
- Can someone explain to me why they might think that adding a sentence that says, "The movement has a rather slow 2.5Hz balance wheel" is a good idea?
- It seems to me that paying between $875. and $950. USD is a rather high price to pay so that one can brag about the watch by saying, "[it contains] one of the movements used by Tissot, Meistersinger, Bell&Ross [sic] or Steinhart. Even Montblanc uses a variation of this calibre for their 1858 collection."
- The font they use to spell "DuFrane" sucks like an Electrolux. The typeface they used to spell "Bergstrom" looks a lot nicer, IMHO.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...
:???:
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » June 22nd 2017, 6:25am

Tzimisces wrote:
Captain Bergstrom was killed by the simultaneous bombings of Pearl Harbour and other military areas in the Philippines in December 1941.

Yeah, I'm with you, tzimmy... I think the writer might have made the assumption that most people don't know we were attacked anywhere other than Pearl on December 7, 1941. In truth, we were attacked at several other locations, to include Guam, The Philippines and the Aleutian Islands, to name a few. I think the writer would have been better off simply by saying something like, "Captain Bergstrom was killed in the Philippine Islands on 7 December 1941." Sometimes otherwise-good writers try and get too cute with the way they say things. And I, of all people, should know this... ;)

Return to “North American Roots”