Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post Reply
User avatar
conjurer
Owner
Posts: 35520
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by conjurer » May 14th 2024, 7:23pm

Alas, Fortune magazine is blocked to me. All the Zers I know are so broke they can't even pay attention.

Also, the idea that Zers would embrace a $40,000 watch is laughable. They can't even embrace a sex preference. Most of them are so distressingly gender-fluid, I wouldn't be surprised if half of them end up fucking their toaster-oven.
User avatar
WISenheimer
Posts: 110
Joined: May 6th 2024, 8:36am
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by WISenheimer » May 15th 2024, 11:01am

I have a 20yo son. Seems to me they are more sharply divided than their millennial predecessors with whom I had tons of experience in IT sector.

A good chunk are the gender fluid etc types that feature prominently in media but another very substantial fraction are pretty modest/traditional low key, no tats piercings like gas cars, mech watches and so forth more-so than millennial types.

They are indeed all broke with dim economic prospects except the ones who hit the lottery in the IT sector. I suspect the low key zoomers with this good fortune are the ones behind all these articles about gen Z and luxury watches
User avatar
WISenheimer
Posts: 110
Joined: May 6th 2024, 8:36am
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by WISenheimer » May 15th 2024, 11:24am

conjurer wrote:
May 14th 2024, 7:23pm
Alas, Fortune magazine is blocked to me.
I run DuckDuckGo as my clean browser and Safari with all my cached logins etc. DuckDuckGo has a nice easily accessible button to clear all your cached data.

Most of these sites allow a free article or two to a user whose cookies do not indicate they have reached a free article limit. There is some other trickery sometimes with ways to workaround it but this alone covers 90% of the cases
User avatar
smellody
Owner
Posts: 11946
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by smellody » May 15th 2024, 4:40pm

jason_recliner wrote:
May 15th 2024, 3:39pm
I daresay most gen-z who can genuinely afford a US$40k watch are only able to because they have wealthy parents.
This has been my experience of most generations. . . .

Apparently lots of folks have trust funds. The rest of us have to work in abspestus factories.
   Image
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 10717
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by jason_recliner » May 15th 2024, 4:46pm

smellody wrote:
May 15th 2024, 4:40pm
jason_recliner wrote:
May 15th 2024, 3:39pm
I daresay most gen-z who can genuinely afford a US$40k watch are only able to because they have wealthy parents.
This has been my experience of most generations. . . .

Apparently lots of folks have trust funds. The rest of us have to work in abspestus factories.
Yeah, and the oldest Gen Zs are around 30. While a lot of 30yos can scrape together US$40k ($60-80k in Australia), the smart ones (who are most likely the ones to have the savings in the first place) are building their deposit for their first house, not dropping it all on a watch. Hence me writing "can genuinely afford...". And yeah, that's nothing to do with a particular generation, rich kids have been getting cash and other nice stuff from daddy forever. My best mate got a 1969 911S for graduating year 12. I can't complain, my folks flew me to Indonesia to see my fiance! :lol:
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
smellody
Owner
Posts: 11946
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by smellody » May 15th 2024, 6:24pm

jason_recliner wrote:
May 15th 2024, 4:46pm
smellody wrote:
May 15th 2024, 4:40pm
jason_recliner wrote:
May 15th 2024, 3:39pm
I daresay most gen-z who can genuinely afford a US$40k watch are only able to because they have wealthy parents.
This has been my experience of most generations. . . .

Apparently lots of folks have trust funds. The rest of us have to work in abspestus factories.
Yeah, and the oldest Gen Zs are around 30. While a lot of 30yos can scrape together US$40k ($60-80k in Australia), the smart ones (who are most likely the ones to have the savings in the first place) are building their deposit for their first house, not dropping it all on a watch. Hence me writing "can genuinely afford...". And yeah, that's nothing to do with a particular generation, rich kids have been getting cash and other nice stuff from daddy forever. My best mate got a 1969 911S for graduating year 12. I can't complain, my folks flew me to Indonesia to see my fiance! :lol:
I want to kick the little pricks ass. I swept the parking lot of the town grocery store and did maintenance at 14 to buy first car. It was a Mercedes, an old one, but I earned every damn penny for it.
   Image
User avatar
WISenheimer
Posts: 110
Joined: May 6th 2024, 8:36am
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by WISenheimer » May 15th 2024, 6:54pm

smellody wrote:
May 15th 2024, 6:24pm
jason_recliner wrote:
May 15th 2024, 4:46pm
smellody wrote:
May 15th 2024, 4:40pm


This has been my experience of most generations. . . .

Apparently lots of folks have trust funds. The rest of us have to work in abspestus factories.
Yeah, and the oldest Gen Zs are around 30. While a lot of 30yos can scrape together US$40k ($60-80k in Australia), the smart ones (who are most likely the ones to have the savings in the first place) are building their deposit for their first house, not dropping it all on a watch. Hence me writing "can genuinely afford...". And yeah, that's nothing to do with a particular generation, rich kids have been getting cash and other nice stuff from daddy forever. My best mate got a 1969 911S for graduating year 12. I can't complain, my folks flew me to Indonesia to see my fiance! :lol:
I want to kick the little pricks ass. I swept the parking lot of the town grocery store and did maintenance at 14 to buy first car. It was a Mercedes, an old one, but I earned every damn penny for it.
Yeah, but the world was littered with smokin’ hot babes, something that has largely disappeared. Gave a young dude something to work for. I feel sorry for my son, the world he has to live in.
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 10717
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by jason_recliner » May 15th 2024, 7:14pm

WISenheimer wrote:
May 15th 2024, 6:54pm
... the world was littered with smokin’ hot babes, something that has largely disappeared.
You need to visit Australia.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
WISenheimer
Posts: 110
Joined: May 6th 2024, 8:36am
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by WISenheimer » May 15th 2024, 7:26pm

jason_recliner wrote:
May 15th 2024, 7:14pm
WISenheimer wrote:
May 15th 2024, 6:54pm
... the world was littered with smokin’ hot babes, something that has largely disappeared.
You need to visit Australia.
You need to visit the 1980s young man lol. Back when any young lady worth her salt had a black leather miniskirt and looked good in it


“ In 2017–18, the combined rate of adult overweight and obesity was 67% in Australia”
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 10717
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by jason_recliner » May 15th 2024, 8:28pm

WISenheimer wrote:
May 15th 2024, 7:26pm
You need to visit the 1980s young man lol. Back when any young lady worth her salt had a black leather miniskirt and looked good in it
Plenty of media from the 1980s survives. I reckon women look better now.
WISenheimer wrote:
May 15th 2024, 7:26pm


“ In 2017–18, the combined rate of adult overweight and obesity was 67% in Australia”
I prefer curvy women.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 11406
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: Gen Zers are fueling sales of Audemars Piguet’s $40,000 watches.

Post by 3Flushes » May 17th 2024, 6:02pm

These kids apparently get way too much allowance. Shame they cant discern misinformation from news; according to a study from Cambridge, less than 20% of the Z's can do so. Good to know however that they can discern shit from Shinola when it comes to watches.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^
Post Reply

Return to “General Watch talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hawk and 1 guest