The 15 Best Watches of 2023

smellody
Owner

The 15 Best Watches of 2023

Post by smellody » December 3rd 2023, 1:16pm

I like them all.

It has been a bumper year for watch nuts. Kicking off with the horological nerd fest that is Watches & Wonders in Geneva and continuing throughout the year, our favorite watch brands have surprised, amused, and confounded us with new riffs on old favorites, groundbreaking innovations, and flat out gorgeousness. Here, we lay out Dialed In’s 15 best watches of the year. . .

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-acce ... s-of-2023/
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Re: The 15 Best Watches of 2023

Post by jason_recliner » December 3rd 2023, 5:27pm

smellody wrote:
December 3rd 2023, 4:25pm
jason_recliner wrote:
December 3rd 2023, 3:23pm
A list of overpriced shit. Wouldn't buy any of them.
Maybe, but I know you would wear them.
A couple of them. Pretty awful group of watches IMO.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » December 3rd 2023, 5:55pm

Yes, a lot of overpriced stuff on the list but also a lot of watches I wouldn't wear if you gave them to me. That Rolex? Are they part of the Swatch group now?

That Omega plopfropf? cowpatty drop whatever.

And the Blancpain in 'bronze gold'? Piss or get off the pot. dang. For Blancpain, it should be gold or go home. looks like somebody's high school class ring they have been wearing for the past 30 years.

And Christopher Ward beat you to it, IWC, and at a much more appreciative price.

And Bulgari's "Royal Oak-like but not Royal Oak" Octo Roma. No thanks

Cartier's "it's not a nipple homage" clocking in at 41mm? Methinks they are 10 years behind the times. My Tissot has a MUCH better salmon dial, thank you very much.

The TAG is not so bad, at least I can tell what each subdial is supposed to be doing, even if almost nobody will ever use them. My God, if somebody tries to show off their chronometer in order to impress a girl I will smite them. Smite them roughly. And then throw them to the floor.

Now we are getting to something worth consideration; the Longines Legend Diver. Longines has been trying to distance itself from the middling pack and I think they are succeeding. Not sure it really needs that second crown but what do I know?

Yes, the Patek Philippe is gorgeous but only drug dealers and Bitcoin arbitrageurs can afford them. I guess they need a watch, too.

That Bell and Ross appears to be made of 'bioceramic' material (plastic). And isn't that the company that used to make film projectors back in the 70's? {no, that was Bell and Howell}
Anyways, I think I'll pass on that microbrand styling wanna be.

So Zenith thinks they'll score big with an Aaron Rodgers commemorative watch? At least the green could represent Green Bay as well as the New York Jets but what has Aaron Rodgers done to deserve me plunking down almost $13,000 shekels? Has he won a SuperBowl? Has he not gone a season without whining and talking weird shit instead of just playing football?

And now we get to Grand Seiko. All is good. I am saving my pennies for that lovely day when I too join the ranks of an owner of a Grand Seiko. In the meantime, my SARB033 will have to do.

The list should have the Tudor Black Bay 58, not the over-knobbed Pelagos Chrono. Not a bad looking watch, the Chrono, if you're in to that sort of thing.

The dial color on that Panerai reminds me of that unfortunate time I had to change a diaper on one of the granddaughters. And the price reminds me of why I made sure that never happened again. 47mm? Really? Compensating for something, methinks.

Well, the JLC Reverso. 'nuff said. Save your money, sell your house. Die happy but homeless. How many polo players actually have one of these?
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » December 3rd 2023, 7:05pm

I like the IWC but US$15k? That's near enough to AUD$30k by the time I pay GST. Yeah, nah.

JLC would be smashing with a tux at the opera - handy - or lying in a coffin.

Patek is beautiful.

Tudor should be good but they all look 'dead' in real life (sorry, but it's true).

Guy who wrote the article is wearing a turtle neck in his profile pic - 'nuff said.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » December 6th 2023, 6:05am

I've pretty well missed this whole year of watches due to significant others illness. Looks like the manufacturers did too.
NRPI and Shitheel here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

If I am to be insulted I must first value your opinion.

Return to “General Watch talk”