Attainable Watches with Next Level Quality

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: Attainable Watches with Next Level Quality

Post by Nuvolari » May 21st 2023, 7:30am

codguy wrote:
May 21st 2023, 4:12am

Sum wartches shud knot be videoed up klose. showz tHem wii they are cheep inexpensiv
Ets butter ef ewe clothes yore I an lyspin two teh nice manz werds.
IMG_6389.jpeg
Though, really, I don’t mind well executed entry-level/affordable watches. But it’s hard to roll the dice on a wildcard micro when there are soooo many established options between Seiko, Orient, Hamilton, and Tissot alone. And they seldom show up with a pre nicked dial. 😬
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » July 18th 2023, 9:17am

With the exception of Rolex, Patek and an odd assortment of particular models from other brands, watches do not retain value. And you don't get what you pay for. Period.
"Affordable" brands are a bad place to throw your money. I know, I went down that rabbit hole even though I could buy at premium prices. One of my biggest collecting regrets - like investing in cheap artwork by fringe talent.
My advice: Save your money, go luxe or go home. Midrange is kind of scammy. Better to buy a bazillion Chinese cheapos than a Montblanc or whatever if budget is a consideration and you have the urge to collect.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » July 18th 2023, 5:11pm

boscoe wrote:
July 18th 2023, 9:17am
With the exception of Rolex, Patek and an odd assortment of particular models from other brands, watches do not retain value. And you don't get what you pay for. Period.
"Affordable" brands are a bad place to throw your money. I know, I went down that rabbit hole even though I could buy at premium prices. One of my biggest collecting regrets - like investing in cheap artwork by fringe talent.
My advice: Save your money, go luxe or go home. Midrange is kind of scammy. Better to buy a bazillion Chinese cheapos than a Montblanc or whatever if budget is a consideration and you have the urge to collect.
The top tier watches I own, with two exceptions, I own because I was fortunate enough to inherit them. Discerning choices in the mid tier have led to attaining some high quality watches for good prices, at least before prices went nuts.

As you note, watches are primarily an expenditure and even of those few that are of investment grade they are primarily so in precious metal (Rolex long easily convertible to cash, excepted). Looking to invest in a commodity? Buy gold coins or bullion.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Post by tomsimac » July 26th 2023, 10:34am

There is a certain pleasure in owning a middling watch. I still wear a Tutima Pacific and really love it. Paid $900 from an AD in Germany. Now its value has gone up, like many of the Tutimas.
Another is my Breitling Headwind, bought brand new, original paper and box and love it. Value has increased a bit. Steel band, Gold crown, hands, markers... so it's a bit showy. $2800
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » July 26th 2023, 4:30pm

Depends why you're buying the watch. If it's for resale/investment, you're limited to a handful of brands, the massive across the board price rises of the last few years notwithstanding, and if you can't afford AP or Patek, you're limited to Rolex, and even those are now really expensive and they all look a bit samey. If you just want a great quality watch, or several great quality watches, there are SO many options in the lower and mid-levels, especially with proliferation of high quality micros now.

I don't buy watches for resale, I want to wear a great watch, so I have many great options available and many at under US$1k-$2k. I could have bought a $1-2k watch and 6 or 7 more Fiji holidays like I took last year for the price of one Sub Date. For me and many others, having an excellent watch and many, many good times and memories beats 'investing' in a watch.
Last edited by jason_recliner on July 26th 2023, 5:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
smellody
Owner

Post by smellody » July 26th 2023, 4:53pm

I love me some Rolex and Tudor dive watches....

I could have a few AP and PPs at the cost of a couple of pieces. I like my pieces better.

I haven't found an AP or PP that gives me as much excitement of any sub. Luckily, like Underscore, my wife thinks all the subs are the same watch. . .

No!!!! They are sooo soooooo soooooo different!

I picked up probably a dozen other than RWC pieces over the last three years. . . They are all gone, traded like cash for more Submariners.

You might be right. . . . But you have to admit I'm a Submariner guy.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » July 26th 2023, 5:20pm

Rolex are very same-same, but I buy because I like them - and part of the attraction is their ability to hold value.
This doesn't prevent me from blowing dough elsewhere - you can find my recent Omegea Moon Watch insanity posted here. From a fiscal view point, it's a total dog. Bought it anyway.
I'm suggesting better to save for a value retaining mega-brand - that you like/love - than spend the same cash on relatively instant mediocre gratification
Just my view on the folly of youth as my years wind down.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » July 26th 2023, 5:21pm

Collecting notwithstanding, Rolex has longstandingly been appealing to an abundance of buyers as they have been easily convertible to cash evidenced by the Crowns heritage of omnipresence in the worlds hock shops and preowned websites during the age of the interwebs.
Last edited by 3Flushes on July 26th 2023, 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » July 26th 2023, 5:44pm

boscoe wrote:
July 26th 2023, 5:20pm
Rolex are very same-same, but I buy because I like them - and part of the attraction is their ability to hold value.
This doesn't prevent me from blowing dough elsewhere - you can find my recent Omegea Moon Watch insanity posted here. From a fiscal view point, it's a total dog. Bought it anyway.
I'm suggesting better to save for a value retaining mega-brand - that you like/love - than spend the same cash on relatively instant mediocre gratification
Just my view on the folly of youth as my years wind down.
I like some Rolexes but it's far from love, I'm fortunate I like plenty of far cheaper watches just as much, in some cases much more - I don't consider that mediocre gratification, it's wearing a great watch. And I have no interest in saving to buy a watch. I'm not a rich guy, at the point I had that much saved I'd rather buy a holiday house, do renovations, take a long family holiday, etc, etc. Whether $10k, $20k, $50k, 100k, I always spend the money elsewhere, and I wear plenty of great watches in the meantime instead of saving for the big one. If I lose $500 or a grand when selling, so be it, it's not the end of the world. I guess I'm just not that into watches.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer (Online)
Owner

Post by conjurer » July 26th 2023, 7:03pm

Interesting (or not), I visited Seiya-san's website today, and saw one of the relatively new Seiko Sharp Edge GMTs on sale for 50% off. I had been eying these bastards for a while now, and seriously considered pulling out the MasterCard.

Then I thought better of it. First, I need another GMT, as the late James Brady would say, like a hole in the head. Second, I suddenly heard in my mind, in a Homer Simpson voice, "Oh! A Seiko at half off! How can I possibly go wrong?"

Well, I've been there, and done that. Getting a watch because it's a good price is somewhat Geekish. Anyway, I'm wearing a great GMT already today, a Sinn 105 UTC that I paid full boat for, and I know it's a better watch than the Seiko.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » July 26th 2023, 7:34pm

conjurer wrote:
July 26th 2023, 7:03pm
Interesting (or not), I visited Seiya-san's website today, and saw one of the relatively new Seiko Sharp Edge GMTs on sale for 50% off. I had been eying these bastards for a while now, and seriously considered pulling out the MasterCard.

Then I thought better of it. First, I need another GMT, as the late James Brady would say, like a hole in the head. Second, I suddenly heard in my mind, in a Homer Simpson voice, "Oh! A Seiko at half off! How can I possibly go wrong?"

Well, I've been there, and done that. Getting a watch because it's a good price is somewhat Geekish. Anyway, I'm wearing a great GMT already today, a Sinn 105 UTC that I paid full boat for, and I know it's a better watch than the Seiko.
The Sinn is an objectively better watch in some ways but not all ways and it's not better if somebody prefers the style of the Seiko. They are both very good watches, good enough that somebody could reasonably cross shop them and choose either just because they like one of them more, and they've made a good decision either way. I really like both and would happily wear either.

We should be careful referring to geekish behaviour IMO. Being interested in watches is inherently geekish. It's not like we're spending our $$$ on rock climbing or DH MTB or surfing or base jumping. Who's to say one aspect of buying a watch is more or less geekish than another?

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “General Watch talk”