Rolex scalpers.

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Rolex scalpers.

Post by Mark1 » February 24th 2023, 8:57pm

This showed up on my cell phone google feed. I have never heard of this website, but the story makes sense to me. It explains all of those NIB Rolex listings you see from private parties. I would be interested to see how this fits in with what you have seen following watch forum sales. Click on the Financial Times link to see the full article.

https://boingboing.net/2023/02/20/how-s ... price.html
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Re: Rolex scalpers.

Post by boscoe » April 12th 2023, 2:59pm

Not my experience with the local AD. They are very ethical.
Bought a new Everose/chocolate DJ last year after a six-seven month wait at retail and wasn't a regular customer.
Ordered a green dial DJ a year ago... crickets. But watches are coming in, not just the one I ordered.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » April 12th 2023, 5:09pm

The readily available supply of NIB watches demonstrates that for every ethical AD there are at least 10 whores for the money turning all manner of perverse Rolex tricks. And the crown, rather than to be embarrassed by the prostituting of their product, and doing nothing to intervene, revels instead in their bettered exclusivity and the dubious inflation of their prestige. The irate quote from the OP link, paraphrasing, "I'm rich and can't get one Goddammit" undoubtedly was gleefully distributed through the Crown's Executivedom inner office mail..

"Let them eat Tudor..." (now returning to its parent's design language).

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » April 15th 2023, 5:26pm

A little of the SOS - even a quote included from the OP link. There are however some interesting perspectives on Rolex's currently lax attention to their prior stringent enforcement of AD agreements when it came to pricing and discounts (discounts — those were the days, ehh,) and the growing frustration amongst the seeker class.

https://www.ft.com/content/a7cbc3b7-f3b ... cedd5e9a29
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “General Watch talk”