Watch dial mod

svaglic
Master of Time

Watch dial mod

Post by svaglic » January 18th 2023, 9:31am

Who here can change a watch dial? I have something I would like done and don’t trust myself. If someone here can change out a dial for me, please pm me? I will send you my idea in a pm and you can send me a price.
In memory of TB/Phfluff, since he isn’t here to continue to give his praise, I will share it for him.
gerdson

Re: Watch dial mod

Post by gerdson » January 18th 2023, 1:24pm

I would only touch my own watches. Reason being that things can go wrong. Hands can get damaged, dial get scratched. On really valuable vintage watches with difficult sparepart situation I know that even professional watchmakers dread the situation of pulling the hands. Swapping the dial and setting the hands back on is less critical. Try to find a good watchmaker, it won't take long and should not cost too much.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » January 18th 2023, 8:24pm

I share the same issues! I have a couple of dial protectors to prevent scratching the dial and you can put a thin film of plastic wrap (“Saran Wrap”) over the hands to prevent scratching - but re-installing hands, for me, is always such a damn gamble - about a 60% success rate based on the 5 hand/dial ‘enhancements’ I’ve meddled in…. Not enough pressure and they don’t seat right, can be unleveled & bind on each other and jack up the movement; More than enough pressure and you bust through the damn cannon pinion, at least I believe what rendered the movement useless.

You just need to find a mediocre jeweler…. For anyone with any actual watchmaker experience, it’s like a 10 minute job, easy peasy.

I think Gerdber and I have pretty much cornered the diminishing returns Watch labor market…

Though it is FUN to tinker if you don’t care about a complete disaster. Which you always say going into it expecting success - and then it’s so damn annoying to have to follow-through on the “not caring” in a total-loss setting. After all, it worked a minute ago before you decide to “improve” it… 😡
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

svaglic
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 19th 2023, 8:31am

I will destroy it if I try. Racer pointed out the issues I’d have with a dial for one movement and a case and other movement lining up right. For now, it’s a pipe dream. If it can be done, I’ll have to pay someone who is good at mixing stuff and making it look good.
In memory of TB/Phfluff, since he isn’t here to continue to give his praise, I will share it for him.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » January 19th 2023, 8:57am

Am sure the Watchmakers of the Stars can handle your feat. They are highly respected by both Lord Smellody & Lord Conjurer.
All depends if the watchmakers have the time or desire.

FYI-they don't work on chronographs and don't know what you are working on.

Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster

smellody (Online)
Owner

Post by smellody » January 19th 2023, 9:15am

codguy wrote:
January 19th 2023, 8:57am
Am sure the Watchmakers of the Stars can handle your feat. They are highly respected by both Lord Smellody & Lord Conjurer.
All depends if the watchmakers have the time or desire.

FYI-they don't work on chronographs and don't know what you are working on.
My watchmaker is broken for awhile longer. One hand/wrist and not the one that makes magic.
svaglic
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 19th 2023, 9:49am

It’s a cheapie idea, but the look (in my mind) would be cool.

My idea is combining a dial for a NH35
DFAF4B91-89D0-4873-B29E-154FB82BAFE0.jpeg
To this case using these hands and movement (a pt5000 which is clone of an eta and sw200).
011969A5-1082-4A5B-B0A3-6AD659C4A20F.jpeg
I haven’t bought them yet, just looking at if it’s possible.
I would need to get a 3 date wheel, at the least, for the PT movement.
I like the case, bezel and hands, not the dial though so I thought a Ginza mod silver dial would look good, but it probably won’t line up without more mods being done.
Probably too much money to throw away.
It’s just a look I can’t get out of my head.
I have nice watches, but can’t stop playing around with cheapies.
I seriously doubt a reputable watch guy, like Smells guy, would agree to work on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Watch talk”