Question about movement replacement

Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Question about movement replacement

Post by Ofcmark » January 11th 2023, 8:02pm

Fellow Lords
A friend of mine approached me about his Takeo Kikuchi watch, he said the battery went dead in it, and he wanted me to help him replacing it. I took it to a small local shop. The jeweler there told me that the battery had leaked and destroyed the movement. He gave me an estimate of $250 to replace the movement I thought this was a little high because about two or three years ago I replaced a movement in one of my work watches and it was $125. I know things do go up but I still thought it was a little high so I thought I’d run it by my fellow Lords to see what you guys thought.
gerdson

Re: Question about movement replacement

Post by gerdson » January 11th 2023, 9:12pm

I have replaced quartz movements on two "vintage" Yema divers. It took a while to identify suitable replacements, but once done in my memory the cost was 20-50 USD to source them. But I spent quite a few hours on research, someone who needs to make a living on it may be reluctant to take such an order and try to fend off by giving a very high estimate.
Would You mind to post what movement is in there?
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
conjurer (Online)
Owner

Post by conjurer » January 11th 2023, 11:23pm

I know nothing about Takeo Kikuchi watches until reading this post; I googled them and was hard pressed to find anything about them other than old ones selling for, I guess, around a hundred bucks. It sounds like the watchmaker really doesn't want to do the work and source a movement and so is gold-plating the bid to try to get out of it, like Herr Gerdy says above.

Unless the watch your pal has some sentimental value attached, I'd recommend he shitcans it.
ocean
Administrator

Post by ocean » January 12th 2023, 1:52am

conjurer wrote:
January 11th 2023, 11:23pm
I know nothing about Takeo Kikuchi watches until reading this post; I googled them and was hard pressed to find anything about them other than old ones selling for, I guess, around a hundred bucks. It sounds like the watchmaker really doesn't want to do the work and source a movement and so is gold-plating the bid to try to get out of it, like Herr Gerdy says above.

Unless the watch your pal has some sentimental value attached, I'd recommend he shitcans it.

I only ever remember seeing that name on a Casio https://casiofanmag.com/news/g-shock-dw ... aboration/
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Post by Ofcmark » January 12th 2023, 2:53am

The jeweler said he was going to use a Seiko movement. I never heard of the brand either my Friend wife is from Japan. Her father gave it to him as a gift so there is a little sentimental attachment to it I have it now and a second jeweler waiting for a second opinion. I too thought that it was possible he estimated the job high because he really didn’t want to do it.
bobbee
ASSHAT

Post by bobbee » January 12th 2023, 4:17am

Being as you can buy various Seiko quartz movements from 4 pounds for a 3 hander up to 19 pounds for a 6 hander, that price is waaaay expensive.
I have changed several movements in watches and its very straightforward if you have the correct hand to pinion size/height, it just means removal of movement and hands, swap hands over and put back in the case.
All the children must be wondering; "Are we next?"
Ban guns.
Racer-X (Online)
Administrator

Post by Racer-X » January 17th 2023, 4:46pm

Ofcmark wrote:
January 17th 2023, 2:05pm
So the sales person at the store called me today.
I was told the movement that they were going to put in the watch was a Seiko YM 55A I don’t know if this helps. I asked what was in the watch currently and he did know he was only going by the notes on the work order.

Available here for $25 (New but no stem/crown. S=Seiko/Epson/Hattori)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255484591662
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » January 17th 2023, 5:20pm

Ofcmark wrote:
I was told the movement that they were going to put in the watch was a Seiko YM 55A I don’t know if this helps. I asked what was in the watch currently and he did know he was only going by the notes on the work order.
Lost my money :dssd:
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Post by Ofcmark » January 18th 2023, 2:10pm

jason_recliner wrote:
January 17th 2023, 5:20pm
Ofcmark wrote:
Lost my money :dssd:
Not really we still don’t know what was in the watch they were going to replace it with a Seiko movement

Return to “General Watch talk”