help to verify authenticity

Beantown843

help to verify authenticity

Post by Beantown843 » December 18th 2022, 9:12pm

I found a watch that I would like to buy. The seller has the box but no paperwork. I am hesitant to buy an expensive watch only to find out it is a replica. Can someone suggest how I can prevent getting ripped off? suggestions on how or what to ask the seller as well as now to verify the authenticity of the watch would be GREATLY appreciated !!! Thank you in advance!!

Ed
smellody
Owner

Re: help to verify authenticity

Post by smellody » December 18th 2022, 9:41pm

Ask for a picture of the serial number. Often cloned pieces of shit will all use rhe same number.

People often say it, buy buy the seller. I have a local jeweler I buy from and two online dealers that I've bought 95% of my watches.

Take a look at watchrecon. Send me a PM and I'll tell you sellers that I trust.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » December 19th 2022, 4:55am

svaglic wrote:
December 18th 2022, 10:00pm
Posting pictures of the dial, movement, serial numbers, watch bracelet and clasp are the main things people look at to spot fakes, frankens or redials.
+1..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » December 19th 2022, 4:55am

smellody wrote:
December 18th 2022, 9:41pm
Ask for a picture of the serial number. Often cloned pieces of shit will all use rhe same number.

People often say it, buy buy the seller. I have a local jeweler I buy from and two online dealers that I've bought 95% of my watches.

Take a look at watchrecon. Send me a PM and I'll tell you sellers that I trust.
+1..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Anonymous-3027

Post by Anonymous-3027 » December 19th 2022, 5:29am

Another point to consider is how is the transaction executed and how much recourse does that afford you

Some e commerce sites will help if you get a fake. Your credit card company may as well.
Beantown843

Post by Beantown843 » December 19th 2022, 2:30pm

FIRST OFF,, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES. I am attaching pics. The seller says he has a digital warranty, I will ask for a pic or screenshot. He is asking for payment via Paypal or Zelle.

The watch he is selling is a Breitling "Superocean II 42mm A17365 JAPAN SPECIAL EDITION" I am not sure what the Japan special edition is.. does that mean for some reason it was only sold in Japan? Is that normal? The asking price seems to be on point with other similar watches and not a too good to be true price and his username has been on watchuseek since 2011.

BRAND: Breitling
MODEL: SuperOcean II
REFERENCE: A17365
EDITION: Limited Japan Only
CASE: Stainless Steel
CASE BACK: Solid
DIAMETER: 42 mm
CASE THICKNESS: 13.5 mm
BEZEL MATERIAL: Stainless Steel
BEZEL INSERT MATERIAL: Rubber
BEZEL FEATURES: Diving, Uni-Directional
DIAL COLOR: Black
MOVEMENT: CALIBRE17
MOVEMENT TYPE: Automatic
CALENDAR TYPE: Date
POWER RESERVE: 42 hours
BRACELET/STRAP: High Polish Stainless Steel
LUG WIDTH: 20 mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
svaglic
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » December 19th 2022, 8:01pm

Racer-X wrote:
December 19th 2022, 3:52pm
I would pay with PayPal goods and services (not Friends & Family) and not Zelle. May cost a bit more in fees but you’ll have at least some recourse if not as described.
Exactly right, PayPal goods and services is the way to pay.
In memory of TB/Phfluff, since he isn’t here to continue to give his praise, I will share it for him.
Beantown843

Post by Beantown843 » December 19th 2022, 9:38pm

svaglic wrote:
December 19th 2022, 8:01pm
Racer-X wrote:
December 19th 2022, 3:52pm
I would pay with PayPal goods and services (not Friends & Family) and not Zelle. May cost a bit more in fees but you’ll have at least some recourse if not as described.
Exactly right, PayPal goods and services is the way to pay.
I will use PayPal goods and services when I do purchase a watch..thanks!
Beantown843

Post by Beantown843 » December 19th 2022, 9:46pm

noob question. I will not buy a watch without the papers but I see many advertised as having the warranty booklet. Does the warranty booklet have specific information about that specific watch? serial number etc.

When someone says the watch comes with papers, I am guessing that this is the purchase paperwork (price, seller, serial number etc) and not the warranty booklet. is there a difference?
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » December 20th 2022, 3:36pm

codguy wrote:
December 20th 2022, 8:49am
Damn that Japanese edition watch was very nice looking.
Prefer the appearance over the arabic model of the same watch, the baton markers just sets it off.

Shame it slipped by but am sure another will pop up if you keep your eyes open and not in too much of a hurry.
I really like the Arabics. They give the dial a lot of character, make it look different to most other dive watches.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Beantown843

Post by Beantown843 » December 20th 2022, 11:11pm

ocean wrote:
December 20th 2022, 4:25pm
Here’s another one for sale. https://www.chrono24.com/breitling/supe ... 788350.htm
Thank you Ocean!! Not sure what happened but I am sure a quality watch for a fair price will pop up. Aside from Ebay, are there any sites anyone recommends staying away from? thank you all and have safe and great holiday season!

Return to “General Watch talk”