personalized engraving an omega or breitling

Beantown843

personalized engraving an omega or breitling

Post by Beantown843 » December 9th 2022, 7:12pm

Ok, please don't roast me if you disagree with my thoughts here. I am in the market for a slightly used omega or breitling that I would like to leave to my 17 year old son sometime in the next couple of years. I am not wealthy by any means and my son seems to share my interest in quality watches. I would like to engrave something short on the watch or bracelet indicating the gift from father to son. I understand that perhaps engraving on the back of watch would affect the value of the watch, but I am more interested in giving my son a special gift from father to son. I would like to get the thoughts of the members here on engraving the back or bracelet. I have been a frequent visitor to this site but have just recently rejoined it. I value the input of all of you and would really like any input anyone has on this. Thank you in advance.

Beantown843.
smellody (Online)
Owner

Re: personalized engraving an omega or breitling

Post by smellody » December 9th 2022, 7:32pm

Welcome Bean!

First off, that's a really nice plan and gesture. Also, really cool if your son is inclined to appreciate a nice watch.

In most cases engraving should not impact the value of a watch. I have several engraved watches that were company presentation pieces and family gifts.

If the watch was sold, the new owner could polish out the engraving, keep it, or replace the case back.

Those are my thoughts. Welcome to the forum.
Beantown843

Post by Beantown843 » December 9th 2022, 8:03pm

Thank you, I am not worried about resale.. I think he would be inclined to keep it for a long time. I may be a sucker but I really would like something to leave a connection between us, just just not sure how. Breitlings do not have very much real estate on the watch back, I was thinking about a Breitling Planet Ocean or a Omega Seamaster... those are two that he has taken an interest in.
Beantown843

Post by Beantown843 » December 9th 2022, 8:04pm

smellody wrote:
December 9th 2022, 7:32pm
Welcome Bean!

First off, that's a really nice plan and gesture. Also, really cool if your son is inclined to appreciate a nice watch.

In most cases engraving should not impact the value of a watch. I have several engraved watches that were company presentation pieces and family gifts.

If the watch was sold, the new owner could polish out the engraving, keep it, or replace the case back.

Those are my thoughts. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you Smellody!!
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » December 10th 2022, 11:54am

Beantown843 wrote:
December 9th 2022, 8:03pm
I was thinking about a Breitling Planet Ocean or a Omega Seamaster... those are two that he has taken an interest in.

oo094$
To (first name here)

Love Dad

And there it is, ^ you can thank me later.

Methinks you might have a long wait purchasing that Breitling Planet Ocean though, just saying.

Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster

smellody (Online)
Owner

Post by smellody » December 10th 2022, 2:26pm

codguy wrote:
December 10th 2022, 11:54am
Beantown843 wrote:
I was thinking about a Breitling Planet Ocean or a Omega Seamaster... those are two that he has taken an interest in.

oo094$
To (first name here)

Love Dad

Methinks you might have a long wait purchasing that Breitling Planet Ocean though, just saying.
Damn. Someone had their Wheaties this AM
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » December 10th 2022, 3:26pm

codguy wrote:
December 10th 2022, 11:54am
Beantown843 wrote:

oo094$
To (first name here)

Love Dad

“Good artists copy, great artists steal” - Pablo Picasso

I’m using that on my next watch to my son that has space. He’s 19 soon and been enjoying “this thing of ours” since a wee lad and absolutely impeccable taste, like way better than me.

I was thinking of gifting him the Kuoe, he’d appreciate it, the Kansai heritage and Japanese cool. But display back can’t use it there but I’ll think of something

My Dad long passed I’d love to have something like that now and I know my son would he’s sentimental about family stuff

Thanks that’s great
Beantown843

Post by Beantown843 » December 15th 2022, 10:06pm

thank you all for the input I sincerely appreciate it. Now I just have to find a reputable place to buy from. I have looked through this forum but maybe I missed it, is there a board or forum on here that is for people looking to sell or trade? or would someone be able to recommend an honest website. I saw in one post that the mod doesn't like j***shop, someone else recommended authenticwatches.com. Any thoughts on here or a website??? Thank you again!
conjurer
Owner

Post by conjurer » December 16th 2022, 12:16am

If you buy from an AD, they will probably provide (at low cost or free) engraving. The upside for this is you will get a manufacturer's warranty. If you buy from, say, Jomashop, you will get a fairly good warranty from the gray seller. but you'll have to find someplace else for the engraving, since most gray market dealers will tell you to fuck yourself.

Jomashop provides at least as good a warranty service as the ADs, although not as long. Keep in mind that if you use an Omega AD service, they will take a long time.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » December 16th 2022, 5:27am

Beantown843 wrote:
December 15th 2022, 10:06pm
Now I just have to find a reputable place to buy from. I have looked through this forum but maybe I missed it, is there a board or forum on here that is for people looking to sell or trade?
Have a ponder here viewforum.php?f=16 for member sales.
conjurer wrote:
December 16th 2022, 12:16am
If you buy from an AD, they will probably provide (at low cost or free) engraving. The upside for this is you will get a manufacturer's warranty.
Jomashop provides at least as good a warranty service as the ADs, although not as long. Keep in mind that if you use an Omega AD service, they will take a long time.
Yep

Now is a great time to purchase from a Gray Market store due to holiday deals/steals. Have experience with just three.

-Purchased one watch from Jomashop https://www.jomashop.com/watches.html and transaction went smooth.

-Have purchased two watches from Timepiece Perfection https://timepieceperfection.com/ and had an excellent experience.

-I stole this hand winding Zenith from Ashford https://www.ashford.com for around $2,000 many holidays ago. Is a favorite in my meager collection.

That said, my last three watches were purchased from an out of state AD (Authorized Distributor) Feldmar Watch Company https://feldmarwatch.com

------> What just got into me being all nice and shit, must be in the Christmas spirit. Hopefully it will pass quickly enough.

Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster

smellody (Online)
Owner

Post by smellody » December 16th 2022, 8:55am

codguy wrote:
December 16th 2022, 5:27am
Beantown843 wrote:
December 15th 2022, 10:06pm
Now I just have to find a reputable place to buy from. I have looked through this forum but maybe I missed it, is there a board or forum on here that is for people looking to sell or trade?
Have a ponder here viewforum.php?f=16 for member sales.
conjurer wrote:
December 16th 2022, 12:16am
If you buy from an AD, they will probably provide (at low cost or free) engraving. The upside for this is you will get a manufacturer's warranty.
Yep

Now is a great time to purchase from a Gray Market store due to holiday deals/steals. Have experience with just three.

-Purchased one watch from Jomashop https://www.jomashop.com/watches.html and transaction went smooth.

-Have purchased two watches from Timepiece Perfection https://timepieceperfection.com/ and had an excellent experience.

-I stole this hand winding Zenith from Ashford https://www.ashford.com for around $2,000 many holidays ago. Is a favorite in my meager collection.

That said, my last three watches were purchased from an out of state AD (Authorized Distributor) Feldmar Watch Company https://feldmarwatch.com

------> What just got into me being all nice and shit, must be in the Christmas spirit. Hopefully it will pass quickly enough.
I've also had all positive experiences with Ashford.

Return to “General Watch talk”