GQ best watches of 2022

Post Reply
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 1023
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by robatsu » December 4th 2022, 12:47am

The mint dial Tissot was nice.

The Grand Seiko on the list is mislabeled. Seemed awful cheap for a GS even by prices before the recent run up.

So I looked it up and it is a King Seiko, and a quite nice one. I’ve long wanted the SCVN001 but they are spendy, nice alternative here
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
Posts: 9304
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by codguy » December 4th 2022, 7:18am

.

That mint Tissot would make a cute chick watch and that Zenith Pantone is simply gay as hell.

On the other hand, I would definitely wear the Girard-Perregaux, Speedmaster '57 & A Lange & Soehne 1815.

Youz can keep the rest.
.


Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster





.
User avatar
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 3387
Joined: August 7th 2014, 5:53pm
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by Nuvolari » December 4th 2022, 11:11am

DoctorIvey wrote:
December 3rd 2022, 11:20pm
Imagine how disappointed Franck Mueller must have been to have collaborated (X’ed) with Bamford and Popeye but unable to get Justin Bieber aboard. A nearly perfect shitheel wartch despite the omission.
I was also struck by the super-value to be found in owning a watch featuring a cartoon character that even the wearer most likely barely remembers - for the unbelievably low low price of just under THIRTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS STERLING.
64D0ACAC-E5D6-4A19-B7C3-0BBFB05F15B8.jpeg
GTFOOH!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nuvolari on December 4th 2022, 11:24am, edited 1 time in total.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

Image
User avatar
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 3387
Joined: August 7th 2014, 5:53pm
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by Nuvolari » December 4th 2022, 11:20am

codguy wrote:
December 4th 2022, 7:18am
.

That mint Tissot would make a cute chick watch and that Zenith Pantone is simply gay as hell.

On the other hand, I would definitely wear the Girard-Perregaux, Speedmaster '57 & A Lange & Soehne 1815.

Youz can keep the rest.
Nah - that Tissot’s cool once you get the mechanical movement crammed in there. Even a big burly dude like you could wear that in style.

But that Zenith... I assume there was not sufficient room to include the model’s complete name. They dropped “Good Taste” as in, Defy Good Taste Extreme, which isn’t that clever once you see it.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

Image
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 1023
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by robatsu » December 4th 2022, 7:01pm

And how come this guy or the black or two tone variants not make the list,

41mm width, 11mm thickness, super wearable 6105-8000 reissue pretty much,

Why isn’t this in the list?

DE442920-C0E6-4D1E-9FDA-231A5E06E573.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
conjurer (Online)
Owner
Posts: 34365
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by conjurer » December 4th 2022, 8:37pm

Nuvolari wrote:
December 4th 2022, 11:11am
DoctorIvey wrote:
December 3rd 2022, 11:20pm
Imagine how disappointed Franck Mueller must have been to have collaborated (X’ed) with Bamford and Popeye but unable to get Justin Bieber aboard. A nearly perfect shitheel wartch despite the omission.
I was also struck by the super-value to be found in owning a watch featuring a cartoon character that even the wearer most likely barely remembers - for the unbelievably low low price of just under THIRTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS STERLING.
64D0ACAC-E5D6-4A19-B7C3-0BBFB05F15B8.jpeg
GTFOOH!
To be fair, that one looks a lot better than most Franck Mullers.
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
Posts: 9304
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by codguy » December 5th 2022, 7:54am

robatsu wrote:
December 4th 2022, 7:01pm
And how come this guy or the black or two tone variants not make the list,

Why isn’t this in the list?
Because of the lame date window would be my guess
.


Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster





.
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 1023
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by robatsu » December 5th 2022, 2:47pm

codguy wrote:
December 5th 2022, 7:54am
robatsu wrote:
December 4th 2022, 7:01pm
And how come this guy or the black or two tone variants not make the list,

Why isn’t this in the list?
Because of the lame date window would be my guess
I read four or five reviews and such on this watch. Only one mentioned the date window, but felt very strongly about in a negative way

Also alluded to sort of a running controversy in general about date windows such as this one

I thought it was interesting as I don’t have much feeling about date windows generally other than I’m happy to buy watches without them, don’t use them for the most part

Eyes are getting too poor among other reasons, like less reason to care about the date as I’m not working now etc

So this is not to dispute but to help me understand what is the issue with this date window. I’m just curious

The reviewer didn’t explain just said there were strong opinions about it

Thanks
User avatar
smellody (Online)
Owner
Posts: 10271
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by smellody » December 5th 2022, 3:20pm

robatsu wrote:
December 5th 2022, 2:47pm
codguy wrote:
December 5th 2022, 7:54am
robatsu wrote:
December 4th 2022, 7:01pm
And how come this guy or the black or two tone variants not make the list,

Why isn’t this in the list?
Because of the lame date window would be my guess
I read four or five reviews and such on this watch. Only one mentioned the date window, but felt very strongly about in a negative way

Also alluded to sort of a running controversy in general about date windows such as this one

I thought it was interesting as I don’t have much feeling about date windows generally other than I’m happy to buy watches without them, don’t use them for the most part

Eyes are getting too poor among other reasons, like less reason to care about the date as I’m not working now etc

So this is not to dispute but to help me understand what is the issue with this date window. I’m just curious

The reviewer didn’t explain just said there were strong opinions about it

Thanks
Interesting. I went looking to give myself an understanding too. I searched the dial then finally found the peephole of the date window.

The 4:30 placement is a little unorthodox, but I kind of like the inconspicuousness of the round v square peephole.

Perhaps Cod is having a round hole 🕳 square box 📦 inconsistent moment.

Back to the unorthodox 4:30 placement, it does impact symmetry, but treatment for me kind of voids the issue.

That's my humble take.
   Image
User avatar
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 1023
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Contact:

Re: GQ best watches of 2022

Post by robatsu » December 8th 2022, 7:53pm

codguy wrote:
December 5th 2022, 7:54am
robatsu wrote:
December 4th 2022, 7:01pm
And how come this guy or the black or two tone variants not make the list,

Why isn’t this in the list?
Because of the lame date window would be my guess
I’ve come to agree with the lame date window

That type works in other watch styles and invariably it is a measure to make it discrete

But that violates the design unity of a dive watch, one of which is high readability in low visibility situations

So a nicely discrete complication had no place here.

So yeah, fail, too bad nice piece otherwise
Post Reply

Return to “General Watch talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest