What is the GMT time zone in the USA?

koimaster
Founder

What is the GMT time zone in the USA?

Post by koimaster » November 8th 2022, 11:25pm

Rubber B produces custom rubber watch bands for timepieces from a variety of leading global watchmakers, including Rolex, Tudor, and Panerai, as well as several others. Our complete product catalog features straps in a plethora of different colors, textures, and styles, and each one of our watch bands is made solely from 100% vulcanized rubber.

For world travelers, a GMT time zone watch is the most practical timepiece for daily travel needs. In the early 1700s, William Hogarth created a series of paintings that described the lunacy that was brought onto the explorers at the time by the “longitude problem”. At this point in history, determining longitude was no easy endeavor. Some of the greatest minds at the time during the 1700s were working towards finding a method to determine the longitude in an effort to help provide safe navigation passages for vessels at sea.

What is a GMT Time Zone Watch?

A GMT time zone watch is an abbreviation that stands for “Greenwich Mean Time.” Generally, a GMT Time Zone watch is a watch that allows the wearer to keep track of the time in different time zones. It allows you to do so by the implementation of a rather unique feature – a fourth hand.

Operating a GMT watch takes some practice, but once you become familiar with a handful of time zones, it is not difficult at all. Basically, you need to know two time zones at any given time – your home time zone, or the time zone of the city you are in at the moment. You will also need to know the time zone of the city and whose current time you would like to know.

GMT time zone watches are an interesting piece of technology, in that even if you are a seasoned watch collector, it is still entirely possible to have never come across one before. Because of that, there are a lot of people, both inside the watchmaking community and outside of it, who are completely unfamiliar with this term.

How to tell if you have a GMT Time Zone watch

What distinguishes a GMT time zone watch from a regular timepiece is its additional hand. Most timepieces have three hands on the face for the hour, minute, and seconds, respectively. A GMT time zone watch has an additional fourth hand that rotates once around the face every four hours and corresponds directly to Greenwich Mean Time.

https://rubberb.com/blog/gmt-and-multip ... hYUJRLbark

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
codguy
ASSHAT

Re: What is the GMT time zone in the USA?

Post by codguy » November 9th 2022, 6:30am

Welp, I'll be damn, I learnt something this morning from the blog. I always thought the forth hand completely circles the face but once per day & knot every four hours.

That sayd, can one of you Deep Pockets gift me 30 grand usd? I'd like to purchase my first GMT

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... 3442201001

koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » November 9th 2022, 11:53am

codguy wrote:
November 9th 2022, 6:30am
Welp, I'll be damn, I learnt something this morning from the blog. I always thought the forth hand completely circles the face but once per day & knot every four hours.

That sayd, can one of you Deep Pockets gift me 30 grand usd? I'd like to purchase my first GMT

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... 3442201001
Here u go

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » November 9th 2022, 4:27pm

Hawk wrote:
November 9th 2022, 3:59pm
“How to tell if you have a GMT time zone watch”

Handy info for those of us that were uncertain what we bought.
Yeah, now to figure out what the big hand and the small hand are for. I heard on the street that skinny hand that moves really fast is called the "Seconds hand".

Any idea what "seconds" means?

ps: I honestly did not know the GMT hand goes around 4 times in one day. I need to pay more attention. There's no telling what my watches get up to when I'm not watching them.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 10th 2022, 9:07am

I had missed the reference to Schrodinger’s GMT hand before but you’re right. No telling what that thing is up to when we’re not watching it.

Alternatively it explains why Greenwich high school students all appear to be in their 60s. The days just whip by over there.

Return to “General Watch talk”