mechanical

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: mechanical

Post by conjurer » September 7th 2022, 10:17pm

When I was a young buck, some of my earliest memories of my dad was him waking up in the morning, swinging his legs off the bed, and picking up his watch (on a gold-tone Twist-o-Flex, naturally; he also was one of those old mustaches who wore his watch on the underside of his wrist) and giving it a good wind. This was the first thing he did every day. I don't know if this was something he picked up in the Army, or if this was a regular thing for guys of those days.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » September 7th 2022, 10:25pm

My King Seiko 45 still feels nice to wind, 50+ years on. Not saying I'd want to do it every day but I do enjoy it from time to time. I really enjoyed my Sea-Gull M221S with a Chinese 6497 clone. Something nice about watching that big basic stupid movement slowly ticking away under a big slab of sapphire. Can definitely understand the appeal on occasions - you should do it, Majt.
Last edited by jason_recliner on September 7th 2022, 11:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » September 7th 2022, 11:45pm

jason_recliner wrote:
September 7th 2022, 10:26pm
koimaster wrote:
September 7th 2022, 10:15pm
Here you go

What's inside that one?
Modified unitas 6794

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MAX » September 8th 2022, 4:19am

Only handwinder I have left. Used to do the first thing in the morning wind, strangely calming and sets the tone for the day. No quick set date so a good reason to not let it run down if wearing often.
2623 Raketa movement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » September 8th 2022, 6:41am

koimaster wrote:
September 7th 2022, 11:45pm
jason_recliner wrote:
September 7th 2022, 10:26pm
koimaster wrote:
September 7th 2022, 10:15pm
Here you go

What's inside that one?
Modified unitas 6794

That's really nice. Something about the 6497, just really pleasing.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » September 8th 2022, 10:57am

My mechanical winders are Chinese; the Seagull 1963 and a San Martin flieger with a seconds dial. Oh, also my Merkur.

And I can't forget my Max Bill.

Didn't realize I like mechanical watches so much.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » September 8th 2022, 1:55pm

Yeah…. Mechanical movements are awesome.

However, every now and again I find myself shamefully trying to hurry the winding process…. And that’s just dumb when there are plenty of grab-and-go quartz options scattered about the watch boxes.

Take a moment to enjoy the tactile engagement. Even my 8-day Panerai doesn’t really take that long to fully wind… and it feels like buttah!

But it’s hard to appreciate such niceties when you’re running behind schedule and your wife is actually ready before you…. That is not the best environment in which to appreciate the beautiful hand wind mechanism on your mechanical watch.

Actually, I’d like to pick up an HMT just to have one. It will be a collectible one day - as soon as they sell the 5 trillion units of new-old-stock inventory. By 2085 for sure.

Also - hey Smells, what’s the deal with the Oyster Lipton?
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » September 8th 2022, 2:27pm

Nuvolari wrote:
September 8th 2022, 1:55pm
Yeah…. Mechanical movements are awesome.

However, every now and again I find myself shamefully trying to hurry the winding process…. And that’s just dumb when there are plenty of grab-and-go quartz options scattered about the watch boxes.

Take a moment to enjoy the tactile engagement. Even my 8-day Panerai doesn’t really take that long to fully wind… and it feels like buttah!

But it’s hard to appreciate such niceties when you’re running behind schedule and your wife is actually ready before you…. That is not the best environment in which to appreciate the beautiful hand wind mechanism on your mechanical watch.

Actually, I’d like to pick up an HMT just to have one. It will be a collectible one day - as soon as they sell the 5 trillion units of new-old-stock inventory. By 2085 for sure.

Also - hey Smells, what’s the deal with the Oyster Lipton?

RWC product for Canadian market. This one with 24 hour dial would be military. It is currently at the spa for a movement rebuild. Second best dial on one of these that I've seen.

Return to “General Watch talk”