Watch Price Rant

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Watch Price Rant

Post by jason_recliner » April 21st 2022, 5:32am

Sorry, but I just can't help myself. And I may have had 20, 30... maybe 40 drinks...

I gotta vent about the idiotic watch prices now. I know some of you guys have crazy money so 20k here, 50k there isn't a biggie. But for most people, us working plebs, watch prices are just unsustainable now (IMO). And what are you getting? A mass-produced steel bauble (precious metals are a different story, they are jewellery, they are - duh - precious).

I really want a new watch, I really do. I love them. Hence why I'm here, pretty sure we can all relate. But I also want a new kitchen, new floors, new window fittings, new garden... and guess what? All of that is the same price as a Rolex! Okay, maybe two or three Rolexes, but surely you can see my point. It's weeks of labour, literally tonnes of material, gubbins and doovalackys brought in from all over the world, designers, project managers... for the price of a few tiny steel watches.

What. The. H. E. Double hockey sticks (you out there, Mort?).

I'm about to quit this thing that we love. I mean, I'll still post and rant and be a nuisance. But I'm not sure I'll buy another fancy watch.

ps - yeah I might also be a bit salty about the whole breakup thing
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
koimaster
Founder

Re: Watch Price Rant

Post by koimaster » April 21st 2022, 1:17pm

Buy pre-owned, shop around and make offers. Some watch prices are fantasies pushed by speculation and the “I want it now” clown club. Others, using rolex as an example, have fake waiting list used to push up pricing. Do I begrudge someone buying a watch at high prices, no. Would I do it, no, rather bank the money and wait, invest it property or buy a maserati.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by smellody » April 21st 2022, 2:10pm

I'm priced out of the watches I really want. Building a broader collection of watches I like/respect that I can always flip (as I always buy right) later for the watches I want (if prices ever come down, or I win the lottery, or take up prostitution or organ sales (if any of the spare organs are still serviceable)).
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » April 22nd 2022, 7:39am

Agreed. Half the fun is buying at a great value from a fellow enthusiast…. but in an inflationary climate with durable goods and other commodities ascending in price, gouging has become the new pricing starting point. Shit rolls downhill, so when Cooter McFeely is done paying more for fuel, bread, & rent - he is not likely to just give away his limited edition 60mm flame-fusion masterpiece with a MSRP of “$4,700”.

But that is just the cost - whereas there is almost no value.

I’m grateful for the collection I’ve accumulated and figure it may be a quite a while before I add anything new.

Hell, not just Rolecks - even ubiquitous Seiko prices have risen with the tide!

Nah. Patience will save you money.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 22nd 2022, 8:24am

jason_recliner wrote:
April 21st 2022, 5:32am
Sorry, but I just can't help myself. And I may have had 20, 30... maybe 40 drinks...

I gotta vent about the idiotic watch prices now. I know some of you guys have crazy money so 20k here, 50k there isn't a biggie. But for most people, us working plebs, watch prices are just unsustainable now (IMO). And what are you getting? A mass-produced steel bauble (precious metals are a different story, they are jewellery, they are - duh - precious).

I really want a new watch, I really do. I love them. Hence why I'm here, pretty sure we can all relate. But I also want a new kitchen, new floors, new window fittings, new garden... and guess what? All of that is the same price as a Rolex! Okay, maybe two or three Rolexes, but surely you can see my point. It's weeks of labour, literally tonnes of material, gubbins and doovalackys brought in from all over the world, designers, project managers... for the price of a few tiny steel watches.

What. The. H. E. Double hockey sticks (you out there, Mort?).

I'm about to quit this thing that we love. I mean, I'll still post and rant and be a nuisance. But I'm not sure I'll buy another fancy watch.

ps - yeah I might also be a bit salty about the whole breakup thing

Bummer. She looked like a nice lady. She wore the red rover well too. Perhaps a reconciliation may be in the future. Groveling seems to work from what John has told me. :mrgreen:

1946-2006

koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 22nd 2022, 8:27am

smellody wrote:
April 21st 2022, 2:10pm
I'm priced out of the watches I really want. Building a broader collection of watches I like/respect that I can always flip (as I always buy right) later for the watches I want (if prices ever come down, or I win the lottery, or take up prostitution or organ sales (if any of the spare organs are still serviceable)).
You are married, you don't need your testicles anymore.

1946-2006

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » April 22nd 2022, 11:56pm

codguy wrote:
April 22nd 2022, 10:48am
koimaster wrote:
April 22nd 2022, 8:27am
You are married, you don't need your testicles anymore.
John told me, that rumor has it, Smells darling wife keeps them jarred up in the freezer anyways.
Frozen Lumber Jack Oysters - they’re on Atkinson, you know.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » May 3rd 2022, 7:43pm

Used Rolex market is insane, but you can buy new - at retail - with patience.
Other than the Crown - and TRUE high-end brands - I don't see cray-cray used prices and new stuff seems per usual with relatively slight increases.
Tudors go for 3-4K like they did five-six years ago.
Omega has climbed -but deliberately to try to match Rolex cachet. (Good luck w/that)
Longines is relatively reasonable as are Seiko, Oris and many other collectible brands.
Also look at this in economic context.
Home prices have exploded and cars are selling ABOVE sticker.
Suspect watches and all commodities will fall back to earth.
One last comment: NEVER buy a Maserati!!!!!

Return to “General Watch talk”