Rolex vs Smith

koimaster
Founder

Rolex vs Smith

Post by koimaster » April 11th 2022, 4:30pm

Rolex vs. Smiths: Which Watch Summited Everest in 1953? Putting a Controversy to Rest

It is commonly-accepted knowledge that there was a Rolex on the summit of Everest in 1953. In reality, it was the swansong of a now-defunct English brand called Smiths.

Back when the edges of the world were still not quite mapped and tamed, mechanical wristwatches used to be an essential professional tool. The memory of these glory days is still invoked to sell what even the most passionate watch lover has to concede is now gloriously redundant jewelry. Wearing a watch with a storied history is popular. Look at Omega’s Speedmaster, continuously available, and largely unchanged, since it was one small step on the journey to the Moon. Look at Rolex’s Explorer…

I’ve loved watches since childhood, there is so much more to them than a case and a pretty face. Bling doesn’t touch me, but ‘mind bling’ does. I find it deeply satisfying that behind the dial, polished and poised, there is a haiku of mechanism that can keep its own, independent, time. However, knowing that this precise model of a watch on my wrist timed a significant moment in history, or even literature, can literally make me shiver. Working out who was wearing what and when is a complex and rewarding pleasure.

https://www.outdoorjournal.com/featured ... y-to-rest/

we previously discussed this in the topic below
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=53543&p=517023&hi ... st#p517023

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
boscoe
ASSHAT

Re: Rolex vs Smith

Post by boscoe » April 11th 2022, 6:19pm

Sadly I don't give a smit about this.
In the age of space travel, horological mountain climbing bragging rights are like arguing Omega or Rolex for 007. Sheer fantasy.
However, the most enduring thing about this tale is Rolex's apparent 70-year lie still carries water.
Very amusing.
And proof it pays to advertise!
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bbattle » April 12th 2022, 3:22pm

Well, all I know is that Brooke Shields wears Rolex watches. So if I bought a Rolex, I could meet Brooke Shields.

The Smiths were a British band back in the '80's. They are probably on the dole now; watching football on the tele.
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by smellody » April 12th 2022, 4:57pm

bbattle wrote:
April 12th 2022, 3:22pm
Well, all I know is that Brooke Shields wears Rolex watches. So if I bought a Rolex, I could meet Brooke Shields.

The Smiths were a British band back in the '80's. They are probably on the dole now; watching football on the tele.
That's logic right there!

Return to “General Watch talk”