The Watch as a Family Heirloom

koimaster (Online)
Founder

The Watch as a Family Heirloom

Post by koimaster » March 15th 2022, 4:15pm

Few products come close to carrying as much emotional, sentimental, and historical value as a timepiece. What’s more, because of their construction, these mechanical marvels are built to last—and not just for one generation, but for many.

​In fact, if you ask someone who is sporting a vintage watch on his or her wrist, there’s a good chance it was passed down to him or her from an older family member. For instance, more than half of the watches I have in my personal collection—which includes timepieces by Rolex, Longines, OMEGA, and Blancpain—are from my mother, father, grandfather, or grandmother. I don’t just love wearing these watches because of their beauty, but also because every time I look at them, each brings back so many fond memories.

https://www.celine-simon.com/blog/the-w ... y-heirloom

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
boscoe
ASSHAT

Re: The Watch as a Family Heirloom

Post by boscoe » March 16th 2022, 4:03pm

Watches don't mean shit these days.
My Gen X son now has his great-granddad's solid gold Concord - with a dated engraved case saluting his government work by name - and never wears it saying, "Dad, I tell time with my cellphone." I cherished the watch and faithfully restored it to original when I inherited on MY dad's death. He got it from HIS dad. Maybe my grandson (now 9) will keep it as a curiosity - but I don't think he'll ever wear it either. Going back to my granddad's father, there are SIX of us sharing the same name that's on the watch case.

Return to “General Watch talk”