Beanie Babies and Rolex

koimaster
Founder

Beanie Babies and Rolex

Post by koimaster » March 14th 2022, 3:15pm

Yes damn it, I said beanie baby and rolex in the same sentence!

Zach Goes to the Movies: Beanie Baby Mania, and a Warning to Watch Collectors

Whenever I hear someone talk about watches as an investment, I think of…plush stuffed animals. Is that weird? Not if you came of age in the 90s, and can remember a time when otherwise rational adults thought that sinking untold sums of money into Beanie Babies was their ticket to a mansion on the hill. What’s now commonly referred to as the Beanie Baby Craze (because, words are important) is the subject of Beanie Mania, a new documentary on HBO Max. When I landed on it recently during a lazy weekend of streaming, it was impossible not to think about the obvious parallels between what ultimately became an irreparably popped bubble and the current state of the watch market. At times, Beanie Mania may as well have been about watches. It feels like a warning.

“The collector’s mentality is that you can never have enough, and that’s very dangerous.” These are the opening words of Beanie Mania, spoken by Mary Beth Sobolewski, who would become one of the chief Beanie gurus during the height of the craze, appearing on talk shows to discuss collecting, authoring price guides, and sitting very much at the center of Beanie culture. The fact that this was a collecting pursuit that created figures prepared to discuss and imbue a unique brand of wisdom to the public is only one of the startling connections between Beanie collecting and watches.

https://wornandwound.com/zach-goes-to-t ... ollectors/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Re: Beanie Babies and Rolex

Post by koimaster » March 14th 2022, 4:17pm

3Flushes wrote:
March 14th 2022, 4:12pm
Collectors accumulate goods based on their affinity for objects of their admiration. Fools hoard during inflated markets for investment.
Cool, that means my snowboards and comic books are safe. I quit collecting comic books when they became way too expensive for what they were, a 10 cent moment of distraction.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Beanie Babies and Rolex

Post by Nuvolari » March 14th 2022, 7:33pm

^^agreed, succinctly no accurate framed.

About 25 years ago when my oldest daughter was just a baby I was buying something at Nordstrom for my wife and they had these cute little bean-bag/hacky-sack toys… one shapped into a soft little black and white cow. So, I bought it for my little teething daughter to chew and drool on.

We had an idiot neighbor who could never ever shut the fuck up who alleged to be selling long distance service for Quest - back when people did that - and he was completely taken aback that I would devalue this collectible item by cutting the tag off of it and, worse, allowing my daughter to deface it with her mouth.

He thought I was an arrogant prick who didn’t appreciate these special toy items as an unconventional investment asset, whereas I always though he was a complete dumbass who had a uniquely profound talent of turning dollars into pennies.

Time has verified that we were both right.

Toys aren’t investments. Cars aren’t investments. Sure, you can make money on both of them - but if you genuinely believe they are ‘investments’ you may actually be using them wrong.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

Return to “General Watch talk”