Most Exciting Watches of 2022

bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Most Exciting Watches of 2022

Post by bbattle » January 18th 2022, 5:44pm

There are enough watches released each year that you wouldn't be blamed for missing some of the coolest ones — but we're going to make sure that doesn't happen. To help you cut through the horological jungle, we're featuring the 2022 watches that collectors and watch nerds are talking about most. The year is kicking off strong already, with some killer debuts from Zenith, TAG Heuer and others.
Grand Seiko Seiko Spring Drive SLGA009 White Birch
Lovely birch bark dial, 5 day reserve with that high beat movement.
Diameter: 40mm
Movement: Grand Seiko 9RA2 Spring Drive
Price: $9,100

TAG Heuer Autavia Chronometer Flyback
Notable Features: Flyback chronograph, COSC chronometer certification, black PVD steel case, ceramic bezel, in-house automatic movement
Diameter: 42mm
Movement: TAG Heuer Heuer02 automatic
Price: $6,950

Zenith Defy Revival A3642
Zenith has been knocking it out of the park in recent years with its Revival series of reissued vintage watches and models that build upon them. The Defy Revival A3642 is the latest among them and easily the funkiest. It recreates almost exactly the model that launched the Defy collection in 1969, still home to much of the brand's most avant-garde design.
Notable Features: Recreation of a vintage model, gradient dial, in-house movement, ladder-style bracelet
Diameter: 37mm
Movement: Zenith Elite 670 automatic
Price: $7,000

They say to book mark this page as they will be updating it often.
https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a387 ... tches-2022

I'm digging that birch bark dial on the GS and the green indices and hands on that TAG are stunning. The brown dial on that Zenith does nothing but remind me of business taken care of after my second cup of coffee in the morning. A shame, because the case is pretty cool. But those indices remind me of the South Korean flag.
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Most Exciting Watches of 2022

Post by smellody » January 18th 2022, 10:26pm

jason_recliner wrote:
January 18th 2022, 10:15pm
conjurer wrote:
January 18th 2022, 6:30pm
The TAG gives me a goddamned boner.
Agreed. Nicest Tag I've seen in a while. Really good looking chrono.
Worry not mate's!

I found you a coupon!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 18th 2022, 10:52pm

smellody wrote:
January 18th 2022, 10:26pm
jason_recliner wrote:
January 18th 2022, 10:15pm
conjurer wrote:
January 18th 2022, 6:30pm
The TAG gives me a goddamned boner.
Agreed. Nicest Tag I've seen in a while. Really good looking chrono.
Worry not mate's!

I found you a coupon!

Why, goddamn it, my dear old dad used to smoke Viceroys!! To think I could have sent in a Viceroy cig packet and 88 bones, I could have had a motherfucking Heuer!!!
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » January 19th 2022, 12:22pm

9 Gs for birch bark? Couldnt they have found a more exotic tree to make a few thousand dials from for that price? Nice though.

1. African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon)
African Blackwood, most expensive woods
Price: $100 per board foot

A log can cost approximately $9,000; the price for processed timber in 2016 was listed as $13,000 per cubic square meter. It is commonly priced at a minimum of $100 per board foot.

2. Hell, even my cheapo Heritage Rough Rider revolver claims cocobolo hand grips.

Price: Commonly sells for between $50 and $65 per board foot.

Cocobolo is a Central American wood that is widely prized by owners of expensive handguns and knives. It’s a beautiful wood that ranges from orange to reddish-brown with dark traces running through the grain. Only the heart of the wood is used and it is unique in that the color of the heartwood changes after being cut. Cocobolo is dense and hard, can be polished to a glossy sheen, and has a nice tone. Musicians and chess players treasure the wood as much as sportsmen. It is used to craft guitars, flutes, clarinets, and bagpipes as well as chess pieces and weapon grips.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 19th 2022, 3:05pm

MAX wrote:
January 19th 2022, 12:22pm
9 Gs for birch bark? Couldnt they have found a more exotic tree to make a few thousand dials from for that price? Nice though...
It has a"bark-like" textured dial. Apparently they are significantly up-charging for the new 9SA5 movement with their highly innovative dual impulse escapement. This is the first production model to have it.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/grand ... ntroducing

The TAG is a great looking chrono indeed.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 21st 2022, 2:05am

jason_recliner wrote:
January 19th 2022, 4:14pm
$9k is a lot of money - I wouldn't pay it - but it's a lot of watch.
$3300 seems an exceedingly high premium for this movement over the 9R65 in models like the $5800 Snowflake without even the pretense of the added value of an LE. I guess that's the price for being one of the first folks to get one.

The up-charge for the 9SA5 is only $250 less than my PO with the 8500 was purchased for, grey market, that is, but sobering nonetheless.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “General Watch talk”