Swiss Made Vs. Made In The USA,

koimaster
Founder

Swiss Made Vs. Made In The USA,

Post by koimaster » January 13th 2022, 9:17am

From 2016 but I think still relevant with companies such as inflicta.

As we all probably have noticed by now, a recent FTC determination directed Detroit-based Shinola to change the language of some of its marketing materials, labeling, and product design to remove or alter those aspects of their work which might give the impression that their products were Made In The USA when they were not. A larger issue for watch enthusiasts, however, was raised as well: how does Made In The USA stack up against Swiss Made, and is the Made In The USA requirement unfairly restrictive – indeed, does it tend to stifle the nascent watchmaking industry in the United States?

According to the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry FH, a watch is Swiss Made if it meets three criteria: a Swiss movement; final assembly and casing in Switzerland; and final inspection in Switzerland. For a movement to be Swiss, it must be assembled in Switzerland, and 60% of its total value has to derive from parts made in Switzerland (exclusive of manufacturing costs). As of January 1, 2017, a revision to "Swiss Made" goes into effect which stipulates that at least 60% of the total production cost of manufactured goods, including watches, must originate in Switzerland. Tightening of "Swiss Made" regulations for watches to even more strict requirements has long been supported by the Federation but many manufacturers in lower price segments – where, typically, far more components are source from non-Swiss factories – have argued against it. One of the most outspoken has been Ronnie Bernheim, co-owner of Mondaine, who has argued that "Swissness" should be "more a promise than a physical manifestation." While this may sound like industry doublespeak, Bernheim's substantive point is that in forcing lower priced Swiss brands to adhere to stricter requirements, brands like Rolex (which already easily meets the criteria) benefit, at the cost of competitiveness for lower end brands.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-lev ... ly-matters

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Swiss Made Vs. Made In The USA,

Post by bbattle » January 13th 2022, 11:01am

I'd love to see a watch factory in Switzerland but owned by a Polish guy and all the workers were from Malaysia and Nicaragua. I suspect that my wish is not that far from reality.

I've been to factories here in the US that had signs written in 6-7 different languages up on the walls. It was deemed important enough to warn workers to not throw paper towels in the toilet or they'd stop up.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Swiss Made Vs. Made In The USA,

Post by Thunder1 » January 14th 2022, 7:54pm

smellody wrote:
January 14th 2022, 5:27pm
bbattle wrote:
January 14th 2022, 5:18pm
Nothing wrong with German maid, either.

Yes. The Germans get it too.
Hard to argue w/ this post!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...

Return to “General Watch talk”