Serial Replica Buyers

koimaster (Online)
Founder

Serial Replica Buyers

Post by koimaster » January 4th 2022, 10:24am

About 25 million authentic watches roll out of Switzerland’s manufacturing plants annually, compared to China’s 663 million. It is a known fact that some of these latter watches are illegal copies of others, resulting in a colorful and dynamic, albeit seedy and clearly criminal fake watch industry. Why are some of the world’s top brands copied when others are left alone? Who buys these replica watches and why? What can you do to ensure you’re getting the real thing? Let’s see.

While preparing this article, I spoke with a number of people who freely admitted to being replica enthusiasts. “Just don’t use my name,” each said. One young man told me how he justified buying his first copy watch.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/confession ... ch-buyers/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
iwasbanned (Online)
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Serial Replica Buyers

Post by iwasbanned » January 5th 2022, 9:38am

I don't get buying replicas. I think reason for buying a watch plays a role. I really buy watches for myself and part of it is that I see it as an accomplishment. I own APRO or a I own a gold Rolex President, I get satisfaction from owning, which a replica never would satisfy.
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 5th 2022, 9:49am

iwasbanned wrote:
January 5th 2022, 9:38am
I don't get buying replicas. I think reason for buying a watch plays a role. I really buy watches for myself and part of it is that I see it as an accomplishment. I own APRO or a I own a gold Rolex President, I get satisfaction from owning, which a replica never would satisfy.

From posts I have read at FB about people bragging about buying a replica, they appear to act like Watchgeeks. Justify the fake because the originals are over priced and these fakes are just as good. These are the people who had the best part of their brains left dripping down their mother's leg.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » January 14th 2022, 1:15am

Surely wearing fake has to feel a lot like wearing a toupee? Most chicks don’t notice (you) but now when a hottie keeps looking at you, you have to wonder - is it because you ‘still got it’, or do you think she can tell?

Duuuude…. way more people can tell than you are willing to believe. And it’s embarrassing for everyone.

Now, take that fauxlex,
34B69F64-47A1-47F5-A044-F1DFFDC0611D.jpeg

get back in yer Fier-rari-o,

4AFB5FD2-E66E-4154-B69A-4E354B249EE4.jpeg
…and geduphuquotta ‘hare, already!

Go home and put on your genuine shirt and some better-than-B.O.- cologne,

8EE276C2-F200-4940-A9A8-7FA8C67D61DA.jpeg

…tighten up your big boy Mikes,

7E1F208A-348F-495D-AE2C-60C231A7D948.png

…pour yourself a glass of vagina whiskey,

918F17ED-9322-4DD5-B2A2-75B3515A64C5.jpeg

…and really contemplate your mistakes and serially bad life choices, you fucking fake, false, phony, fake mother fuck faker!

You don’t see Peter Dinklage wearing ‘lifts’ - and that’s precisely one of the reason’s the dude is cool: he’s genuine.

I tend to agree with the ‘only fake people wear fake watches’ mantra…. I shouldn’t give a damn but, still, it annoys the hell out of me when there are so many high-quality “genuine” products from which to choose without an exorbitant outlay of rupees!

Personally, I’d take a $25 Seiko over a $400 ‘high-quality’ Rolecks any day of the week, plus Flurbsday - if they ever make that ‘a thing’, the proposed extra day right between Friday and Saturday to make the workweek and weekends more equitable! It would already be a thing if Big Calendar weren’t pushing so hard against it…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 14th 2022, 3:28am

An interesting study I found a few years ago while doing some research about knockoff luxury leather bags, business and travel cases, and whatnot. While the statistics regarding the extent and financial aspects are dated, the groundbreaking marketing research is still an authoritative study on the topic. The researchers offer insight into who buys this stuff, why they buy it, and how they justify doing so.

Interestingly enough, the authors test one of their hypotheses with two versions of an ad for Tissot.

The global counterfeit 'industry' now amounts too close to a trillion dollars per year. EDIT: The trillion dollar figure included pirated goods. The estimated worth of the international counterfeit goods industry as of 2019 was 720 billion dollars per year which was up from 600 billion dollars in 2004.

Why Do Consumers Buy Counterfeit Luxury Brands?

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ury_Brands
Last edited by 3Flushes on January 15th 2022, 4:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » January 14th 2022, 5:22am

That Rolex Datejust my wife got was a fake; the dealer said there were things not right with the dial and bezel. My wife returned it to the estate of her friend; it'll be sold as a fake when they have their official estate sale. I noticed it wasn't keeping very good time, too.

She also returned a Chanel handbag her friend had given her; it just wasn't her style. That bag was real and somebody bought it for $2k.

If somebody feels the need to fool people in order to make themselves appear "better"; they are trying to impress the wrong people. Make yourself better by treating people with respect, not by lying to them with fake stuff.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » Yesterday, 4:21pm

bbattle wrote:
January 14th 2022, 5:22am
...If somebody feels the need to fool people in order to make themselves appear "better"; they are trying to impress the wrong people. Make yourself better by treating people with respect, not by lying to them with fake stuff.
Indeed.

From the abstract of the above linked study:

This research demonstrates that consumers' desire for counterfeit luxury brands hinges on the social motivations (i.e., to express themselves and/or to fit in) underlying their luxury brand preferences. In particular, the authors show that both consumers' preferences for a counterfeit brand and the subsequent negative change in their preferences for the real brand are greater when their luxury brand attitudes serve a social-adjustive rather than a value-expressive function. In addition, consumers' moral beliefs about counterfeit consumption affect their counterfeit brand preferences only when their luxury brand attitudes serve a value-expressive function...
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » Yesterday, 8:31pm

3Flushes wrote:
Yesterday, 4:21pm

This research demonstrates that consumers' desire for counterfeit luxury brands hinges on the social motivations (i.e., to express themselves and/or to fit in) underlying their luxury brand preferences. In particular, the authors show that both consumers' preferences for a counterfeit brand and the subsequent negative change in their preferences for the real brand are greater when their luxury brand attitudes serve a social-adjustive rather than a value-expressive function. In addition, consumers' moral beliefs about counterfeit consumption affect their counterfeit brand preferences only when their luxury brand attitudes serve a value-expressive function...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » Yesterday, 9:47pm

3Flushes wrote:
bbattle wrote:
...If somebody feels the need to fool people in order to make themselves appear "better"; they are trying to impress the wrong people. Make yourself better by treating people with respect, not by lying to them with fake stuff.
Indeed.

Is this going to be on the ‘final’? Because I’m taking this Topic as a Pass/Fail elective…

I may need to drop this thread so I don’t blow the curve…
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » Today, 1:58am

Nuvolari wrote:
Yesterday, 9:47pm
3Flushes wrote:
bbattle wrote:
Indeed.

Is this going to be on the ‘final’? Because I’m taking this Topic as a Pass/Fail elective…

I may need to drop this thread so I don’t blow the curve…
Too late to take an NC -but I don't think you need to trip over lowering the curve of any threads, or any room you're in for that matter - something a little more general on the topic without the stats and sew Fourth if you are so inclined in your mind to check it out - and what the hell - if it ain't your field, you could always sell real estate or broker mortgages, or something like that. :mrgreen:

Functional attitude theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functiona ... ude_theory

Return to “General Watch talk”