Difference between Rolex vs Panerai pricing?

koimaster (Online)
Founder

Difference between Rolex vs Panerai pricing?

Post by koimaster » January 4th 2022, 10:22am

Outside of the argument that "Rolex is Rolex", what do you guys see differently between Rolex pricing today as compared to Panerai from a few years ago, when pricing was through the roof on every model in the grey market and you couldn't find the most desirable models in stores?

Panerai might have caused some of their downfall in pricing by releasing too many LE's and even non-LE pieces that all were very similar in style. While I don't see Rolex doing something to that extent, does anyone see similarities between the hot Rolex prices now vs. the hot prices of Panerai (and subsequent vast reductions) of yesteryear?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Re: Difference between Rolex vs Panerai pricing?

Post by koimaster » January 4th 2022, 3:56pm

iwasbanned wrote:
January 4th 2022, 2:10pm
There is a huge difference. Rolex has never been a fad. Panerai with their give everyone what they want attitude is or was.
Interesting view. You own one if memory is still working. How do you like it?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
iwasbanned (Online)
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by iwasbanned » January 4th 2022, 4:04pm

koimaster wrote:
January 4th 2022, 3:56pm
Interesting view. You own one if memory is still working. How do you like it?
I love my Panerai, it's an iconic design. Panerai would be better served if they stuck with a few iconic designs instead of diluting the brand and designs with so many LEs and variations. I believe that's a big reason Rolex is so successful, very few minor changes over a long time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 4th 2022, 4:43pm

iwasbanned wrote:
January 4th 2022, 4:04pm
I love my Panerai, it's an iconic design. Panerai would be better served if they stuck with a few iconic designs instead of diluting the brand and designs with so many LEs and variations.I believe that's a big reason Rolex is so successful, very few minor changes over a long time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
^^^That

Rolex re-invented Tudor from Rolex lite to a free standing brand with its own forward looking designs while Rolex primarily incorporates technological advances into iconic designs that are genuinely exclusive. Rolex guards their exclusivity through orthodox adherence to their AD network, and their scale of production; Panerai's LE's are meant to create the illusion of exclusivity amidst a profusion of variants, although Panerai is very well made and has produced some classics of their own which there is always a good market for.
Last edited by 3Flushes on January 4th 2022, 11:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
svaglic (Online)
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 4th 2022, 5:55pm

Here is a cool article about the Rolex Panerai collaboration from 1936 to 1956.
The author can’t understand why Rolex doesn’t care about the history of it and neither do I. I think if the history was talked about more there would be even more interest in both brands and price hikes.

I read this article a time or two a year, it’s that interesting.
https://www.paneraimagazine.com/2007/07 ... nerai.html
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » January 4th 2022, 6:01pm

I have at least a dozen Rolex and one Panerai.

I had a Panerai previously; it was too big.

In general Panerai all look the same to me and Panerai has has WAY too many models (that all look the same...).

I have one Panerai. Panerai is done in my collection.

I can see myself acquiring another dozen Rolex or more in the next 47 years if they become attainable and a little more affordable. If not, I will add a VC, AP, and PP to my humble collection. But do so more slowly 🐌 than my collection has grown over the last 20.
iwasbanned (Online)
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » January 4th 2022, 7:33pm

smellody wrote:
January 4th 2022, 6:01pm
In general Panerai all look the same to me and Panerai has has WAY too many models (that all look the same...).
This goes to my point about diluting the design language. They have 3 core distinct models... Luminor, Submersible, and Radiomir. But because they jump on every little fad, they muddy the waters. But you can pick out the best of each design and you'd have 3 great looking watches that don't look the same but definitely look like a panerai.
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » January 4th 2022, 9:57pm

iwasbanned wrote:
January 4th 2022, 7:33pm
smellody wrote:
January 4th 2022, 6:01pm
In general Panerai all look the same to me and Panerai has WAY too many models (that all look the same...).
This goes to my point about diluting the design language. They have 3 core distinct models... Luminor, Submersible, and Radiomir. But because they jump on every little fad, they muddy the waters. But you can pick out the best of each design and you'd have 3 great looking watches that don't look the same but definitely look like a panerai.
I just had to open a picture of my Panerai to report it is a Luminor. . .

I guess that is proof that I don't really care about them... as for Rolex, I can list all the Submariner variants, dial manufactures, movements, and so forth (sew forth)...

6200, 6204, 6205, 6536, 6538, 6536-1, 5508, 5510, 5512, 5513, 5514, 5517, 1680, 16800, 168000, 14060, 16610, 14060M. . .. .. etc. etc.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 5th 2022, 12:13am

svaglic wrote:
January 4th 2022, 5:55pm
Here is a cool article about the Rolex Panerai collaboration from 1936 to 1956.
The author can’t understand why Rolex doesn’t care about the history of it and neither do I. I think if the history was talked about more there would be even more interest in both brands and price hikes.

I read this article a time or two a year, it’s that interesting.
https://www.paneraimagazine.com/2007/07 ... nerai.html
Outstanding!

Added to the ol' library. Thanks.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “General Watch talk”