Watch Gang - Scam or not?

koimaster (Online)
Founder

Watch Gang - Scam or not?

Post by koimaster » December 31st 2021, 10:48am

https://youtu.be/LgFt4rSzLA8

Cheap brands is about what you can expect even from their “platinum” tier.
They use shady practices to fool people into thinking they're getting a quality watch from an old company, when in fact, they just resurrect old names and use Chinese watches

A2E7CAD3-C933-432F-96BC-59E7228A67D6.jpeg
61A2E637-DC48-4A0E-AD2B-AC2E82688CBE.jpeg
1FD9DE47-E6C3-4E88-A323-B8DE8B4A9FB9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Watch Gang - Scam or not?

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » January 1st 2022, 11:23am

To play the devil's advocate, Montrichard - the holding behind Selhor - sent two watches, a Selhor and an Aquinus, to me and my buddy for review and (if I liked it) to keep last year. I got the Selhor Diver 05 to review, and bottom line, it's a decent quartz beater. Made in Hong Kong with a Swiss movement (Ronda 763), so not very French.

I still have the watch, BTW. Nothing special, but likeable.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » January 1st 2022, 11:43am

What exactly is their schtick? The front page makes it sound like you "tell them about yourself", then pick a watch. pay for watch. get watch.

Except for that first step, sounds like every other online watch shop.

I thought it might have been that "Columbia House" watch club where they send you watches every month. Can't remember the name of that company but the watches were all microbrands or worse.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 2nd 2022, 1:41am

The "tell us about you" schtick is a marketing / personality profiling tool. A response is analyzed with software that can be looking at any number of factors, educational level, socio-economic status, what types of advertising someone would be most likely to respond to, targeting for products they are most likely to buy, and Sew fourth. The initial data gets used by the solicitor, and is often then converted into meta-data and sold.

People don't realize how much they reveal about themselves by responding to instruments like this, surveys, or from what they post on social media. A good personality profiler can put together an accurate profile based on a dozen likes and dislikes someone has posted on Facebook, and marketing folks from all walks of business and industry have a field day with data harvested from social media.

It would sure be fun to see who all buys data from Facebook et. al. I'd bet 99% of social media users don't understand that it's free to them because they are the product.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “General Watch talk”