Tissot From Joma: Must Have Been A Friday Build

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Tissot From Joma: Must Have Been A Friday Build

Post by Nuvolari » December 2nd 2021, 10:31pm

I reached out to Joma to say, What The Hell, Mang, but have not yet heard back.

Sized the bracelet yesterday shortly after it arrived and didn’t set the time until today…. When I did I noticed the hack that initially worked, did not.

When I flipped it over I noticed the amplitude on the escapement was very VERY weak.

I also noticed the rotor was wedged against the transparent caseback, immobile.

And lastly, the loose parts may reveal something has broken rather than come unfastened. (Look at where you would expect the rotor to mount…)

I would like to send this piece of crap back for a replacement… but I don’t know if that’s realistic.

If they screw me, then I suppose I will take it apart and see if I can cobble it back together…

Over the years I have grown to expect my watches to arrive completely assembled and unbroken, so this tends to piss one right off.
5392140C-FF46-45F0-946F-780B1CD3CA9E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: Tissot From Joma: Must Have Been A Friday Build

Post by biglove » December 4th 2021, 10:25pm

Well, that’s a new one. Haven’t seen such a mess before. Please let us know how they handle it.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » December 5th 2021, 4:59pm

The rotor wedged against the case back and the low amplitude are inexcusable. Your specimen either was damaged due to mishandling of the parcel, or it's some latent factory flaw that caused this to happen. The only thing that can be done with this is return or exchange.
The Swissmatic (ETA C15.111) is, well, unserviceable - if anything fails, the whole movement has to be replaced. That's because it is - for the most part - machine-made, and all the components are not held together by screws. They're held together by rivets.
It's not like the hack feature stopped working - this movement never had a hack feature in the first place. The only way to more or less stop the seconds hand is to start turning the crown as if to turn back the hands, there is this brief moment at which the movement will stop, but the seconds hand will jolt back a little bit, so say goodbye to setting it precisely to a reference time.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » December 7th 2021, 12:24am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
December 5th 2021, 4:59pm
The rotor wedged against the case back and the low amplitude are inexcusable. Your specimen either was damaged due to mishandling of the parcel, or it's some latent factory flaw that caused this to happen. The only thing that can be done with this is return or exchange.
The Swissmatic (ETA C15.111) is, well, unserviceable - if anything fails, the whole movement has to be replaced. That's because it is - for the most part - machine-made, and all the components are not held together by screws. They're held together by rivets.
It's not like the hack feature stopped working - this movement never had a hack feature in the first place. The only way to more or less stop the seconds hand is to start turning the crown as if to turn back the hands, there is this brief moment at which the movement will stop, but the seconds hand will jolt back a little bit, so say goodbye to setting it precisely to a reference time.
Thanks Bloke - that’s great intel and fills in a lot of blanks. I wondered about the ‘hack’ because it seemed a little wonky… which makes sense, it should not have mad a difference at all, the movement was just crap and stopped serendipitously. It was on sale and I like the clean almost bauhaus dial and bracelet…. Not too terribly concerned about setting it to be super accurate (I have other watches that do it so much better) but you touched on something I was trying to figure out through the case back - without opening it up and risking them rejecting my return request. I noticed that pinion and broken bit had no threads. I was wondering how it was put together - poorly, is the answer.

Thankfully the nice Joma people sent me a return authorization yesterday. I haven’t printed it up yet, but plan to send it off tomorrow. I wonder where I put the box…
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...

Return to “General Watch talk”