This or That?

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

This or That?

Post by jason_recliner » November 25th 2021, 6:13pm

It's been way too long since we've had one of those geekish "which one would you choose?" threads :Thumbsup:

I've been eyeing a Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 GMT Premium for a while now, and have come close to pulling the trigger a couple of times. It's a handome devil, not too much of a Rolex rip-off, and I don't currently have a (mechanical) GMT:

But, I'm a shitheel, I love Breitling, have never owned one, and I want the Breitling look without the insane luxury brand label mark-up. Do you even realise how many pairs of Croc-a-like synthetic slip-ons one can buy for the price of a Breitling? Revue-Thommen do a passable Breitling rip-off copy homage, and Joma has good prices. I'm really feeling the bue dial, blue strap, black case colourway, and I don't currently have a black-painted watch or a (mechanical) stopwatch:

Which one should I buy and why? Bear in mind I'm a tightarse, got a bunch of other expenses currently, and am probably going to post this thread and then never actually buy either of these badboys.

**(@
Last edited by jason_recliner on November 25th 2021, 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: This or That?

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » November 25th 2021, 7:34pm

I, meanwhile, would go with the Revue. Yeah, its resemblance to some Breitlings is uncanny, but all in all, to me it just seems more interesting of the two.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 26th 2021, 12:58am

smellody wrote:
November 25th 2021, 6:31pm
Steinhart for the win. Better looking design by a down under country mile. Period.
Yes, it is a great looking watch. But I also really like the Breitling style. People who don't know any better will assume I'm wearing a real Breitling and must be a soccer player or professional poker player or some such.
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
November 25th 2021, 7:34pm
I, meanwhile, would go with the Revue. Yeah, its resemblance to some Breitlings is uncanny, but all in all, to me it just seems more interesting of the two.
It is more interesting. It's got those tabs on the bezel, and more hands and time knobs. I bet it looks really masculine on wrist, as though I'm an off-duty commando or off-duty policeman or off-duty jackaroo.
conjurer wrote:
November 25th 2021, 8:46pm
I'd do the Steiny too. IIRC, Mr. Recliner, you didn't have much luck with the Valjoux movement.
Good point. I cannot stand the 7750. It makes me want to smear dried possum excrement into my eyes and hope for death by invasive intestinal parasites.

So anyhoo, I've decided that this sweet Garmin can do everything the Steinhart and R-T can do, and more:

So now I'm in a three-way with three bad boys. Who will come on top?

If it thinks, it stinks
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » November 26th 2021, 6:14am

Steinhart for sure If you have big, flat wrists. Lug to lug distance and flat back makes for overhang. I can wear their 39mm perfectly but the 42 is too big.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » November 26th 2021, 11:52am

Have owned one of the Titanium Steinarts. Go with the Steinhart.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » November 26th 2021, 12:01pm

Another vote for the Steiny!!..just an excellent VFM proposition considering the titanium build and the nice movement..
Last edited by Thunder1 on November 27th 2021, 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 27th 2021, 5:29pm

3Flushes wrote:
November 26th 2021, 2:13am
Given the R -T is out, the Steinhart, classic looks, stalwart mechanical movement - buy your girlfriend the Fenix GPS she likes for XMAS.
All good points. Bought her a Switch for Christmas but the Fenix could be her next birthday present. I probably can't afford the 6S, so I'll get her the 6, and it will probably be too big for her wrist...
bbattle wrote:
November 26th 2021, 5:59am
smellody wrote:
November 25th 2021, 6:31pm
Steinhart for the win. Better looking design by a down under country mile. Period.

I agree with Smellody. Steinhart looks better to me, too.
I like the look of both. But I am a shitheel. So I should defer to the judgement of you gentlemen.
MAX wrote:
November 26th 2021, 6:14am
Steinhart for sure If you have big, flat wrists. Lug to lug distance and flat back makes for overhang. I can wear their 39mm perfectly but the 42 is too big.
Not huge, but I like a bigger watch. 42 doesn't feel too big for me. The R-T is a 43.
codguy wrote:
November 26th 2021, 7:36am
Though not a Steinhart fan....
I vote that one for you, because hot chicks dig men that wear dive watches.....and that is what that GMT watch looks like.
DJ Nail Head, meet MC Hammer. Doesn't really matter what I think, as long as hot chicks dig it. And they are unlikely to be smart enough to know the difference between a dive watch and a GMT. Best point so far.
biglove wrote:
November 26th 2021, 11:52am
Have owned one of the Titanium Steinarts. Go with the Steinhart.
Thanks, Mr. Glove! You should post more often.
Thunder1 wrote:
November 26th 2021, 12:01pm
Another vote for the Steiny!!..just an excellent VFM proposition considering the titanium build and the nice movemet..
Thanks Mr. 1! You post often. Keep up the good work!
Racer-X wrote:
November 26th 2021, 12:50pm
Steinhart. Not a fan of the rubber strap.
What are you, crazy? I reckon the only thing likely to get me more sweet gash action than a dive watch (or GMT fake divers wartche) is a bold blue rubber strap!
Last edited by jason_recliner on November 27th 2021, 8:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 27th 2021, 8:02pm

smellody wrote:
November 27th 2021, 6:18pm
So, are you going to get a batman? You could get a nice blue RubberB or Everest strap to further impress the ladies 🚺
Probably. But probably gonna wait until after Christmas. This Christmas has been very expensive. And we're still in November?!?!?!

On the plus side, the car I want fell through, so I've saved a bit of cash there :roll:

BTW yes, I probably would wear it on rubber mostly. Hopefully Bonetto Cinturini is still a thing.
Last edited by jason_recliner on November 27th 2021, 8:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

If it thinks, it stinks
monster623az

Post by monster623az » November 27th 2021, 8:32pm

Steinhart. Ive owned that model and it was pretty damn nice, good looking backside too if your into that kinda thing. RTs ive owned have never really made me say "damn, this is a nice watch", plus if you saved the money from the RT you would be alot closer to getting into a Breitling if you really wanted to.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 27th 2021, 8:48pm

monster623az wrote:
November 27th 2021, 8:32pm
... good looking backside too if your into that kinda thing...
Yes, pretty much the only thing I'm into. Good to hear from somebody who's owned both. RT is not looking good.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 27th 2021, 11:51pm

conjurer wrote:
November 27th 2021, 11:06pm
Or, you could save your pennies (or whatever coin you use down under) and get a SuperOcean. Then, you'd be a real shitheel, and it'd get you more ass than a bus seat.
I like them a lot. I especially love the Superocean typeface. But I don't want a dive watch so they're out.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “General Watch talk”