Why Typefaces and Logos can Make or Break a Watch

bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Why Typefaces and Logos can Make or Break a Watch

Post by bbattle » October 29th 2021, 4:15pm

"When buying a watch, most people think about issues such as accuracy, water resistance or power reserve – but for me, it’s the typography that matters most.

Before I go further, let’s start with a mini lesson: the words font and typeface are not synonymous. A typeface is a family of fonts (ie Times New Roman, Helvetica, and the beloved Comic Sans) whereas a font is more specific, taking on extra details such as the weight, size and style (italics, bold, etc).

Most people don’t know about this distinction because, quite frankly, most people don’t care about typefaces. And yet they should: after all, the text on your dial is one of the most obvious parts of a watch."

https://timeandtidewatches.com/why-type ... k-a-watch/

The Author does not care for the Gothic font used by Grand Seiko.

I do not care for watch brands that omit vowels from their name, sometimes to the point I think one company doesn't know how to write Roman numbers correctly.

I'm also not a fan of too much writing on the dial. Put that marketing manure on the back, or just omit it altogether. Like that Tudor Pelagos.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Why Typefaces and Logos can Make or Break a Watch

Post by 3Flushes » October 29th 2021, 5:10pm

Rolex and Tudor have long had very texty dials - it's become emblematic.

Logos, fonts, and text can indeed make or break a dial - I would add ill conceived brand names to the mix. I also dislike branding or details engraved on the 9 o'clock side of cases, LIMITED EDITION, and whatnot, and branded straps.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Why Typefaces and Logos can Make or Break a Watch

Post by 3Flushes » October 29th 2021, 7:32pm

smellody wrote:
October 29th 2021, 5:59pm
These are my busiest text dials"

Love 'em or hate 'em.

I love them. ❤
I like the Rolex / Tudor dials -part of their iconic stature - the fonts are classics and the plays with sans-ing or serif-ing and so forth contribute to dating and authenticating the watches.

I forgot to add labeling registers and other complications to my peeves list--- date, moon-phase, seconds, power reserve and sew fourth. I really hate that.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “General Watch talk”