My Rant against watch prices

koimaster
Founder

My Rant against watch prices

Post by koimaster » October 19th 2021, 4:43pm

WTF! I was at watchrecon looking at watches and the prices are complete bullshit. Rolex shortage? Not at WR, 14 days worth of listings is 26+ pages long. Omega just about the same. Breitling, geez have they gotten into the over-priced market as well. There are no shortage of watches but IMHO there are a shortage of people with common sense who would over-pay for some of these watches.

Grand Seiko models, while there are some that are priced where they should be, most are priced far above what I would think they are worth. There are regular Seiko models at there at 1/4 the price that can match a GS in some cases. Don't get me started on some of the upper end watches.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Re: My Rant against watch prices

Post by jason_recliner » October 19th 2021, 6:09pm

Yep, the mainstream luxury brand prices are ridiculous now. Like every other bauble bubble right now, riding high on a flood of free credit. If you're willing to go a bit left field, there's real bargains to be had from the less heavily marketed brands (due to demand disappearing as most everybody has tapped their credit out buying Rolex/Grand Seiko/Omega).
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by smellody » October 19th 2021, 6:24pm

I like Rolex watches. They've always been expensive. I'm sad I can't get cheap Omega anymore. I don't really like Seiko, I tried several. Can't tell the difference between a $29 unit and a $1,500 unit. They are like middle aged white guys, they all look the same.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » November 11th 2021, 8:56am

jason_recliner wrote:
October 19th 2021, 6:09pm
most everybody has tapped their credit out buying Rolex/Grand Seiko/Omega.
FFS
Who the fuck would tap out credit to purchase wrist worn time telling jewelry??? Not anyone I know and they own some nice watches.

Need credit to purchase a watch????? You have bigger problems to deal with..

jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 11th 2021, 3:04pm

codguy wrote:
November 11th 2021, 8:56am
jason_recliner wrote:
October 19th 2021, 6:09pm
most everybody has tapped their credit out buying Rolex/Grand Seiko/Omega.
FFS
Who the fuck would tap out credit to purchase wrist worn time telling jewelry??? Not anyone I know and they own some nice watches.

Need credit to purchase a watch????? You have bigger problems to deal with..
Easy, big fellah! Just paraphrasing. QE = cheap money = disposable income = watch buying budget = credit.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bedlam
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bedlam » November 11th 2021, 6:04pm

koimaster wrote:
October 19th 2021, 4:43pm
Grand Seiko models, while there are some that are priced where they should be, most are priced far above what I would think they are worth. There are regular Seiko models at there at 1/4 the price that can match a GS in some cases.
Not arguing value or prices at all, the market will bear what it will and there is a seemingly endless supply of people who contribute willingly to pushing the market upwards. Its why I haven't bought a watch in 2 years.

Separately, IMO there is little comparison between the GS watches and the many many Seikos, including the Prospex variants, I have owned. Its been a night and day difference, with the very obvious exception of the MM300.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
iwasbanned (Online)
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » November 11th 2021, 7:23pm

bedlam wrote:
November 11th 2021, 6:04pm

Not arguing value or prices at all, the market will bear what it will and there is a seemingly endless supply of people who contribute willingly to pushing the market upwards. Its why I haven't bought a watch in 2 years.

Separately, IMO there is little comparison between the GS watches and the many many Seikos, including the Prospex variants, I have owned. Its been a night and day difference, with the very obvious exception of the MM300.
I have to agree here, I have owned several GS watches and they were all much better than anything non-GS. They are also much better finished than a lot of stuff out there. As a matter of fact, the only watch that was finished as nicely as my GS, was the GO chrono I owned previously. Some of the best polishing work I've seen. Now if they could only up their design game.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 12th 2021, 2:02am

I don't think there's a decent value on the market other than Tudor, and we'll see how long they stay midrange. I'm considering buying something with the Breitling collaboration movement in it before things go nuts with them, too. Glad I'm happy with what I've got.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “General Watch talk”