Need Watch Repair Recs

robatsu
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Need Watch Repair Recs

Post by robatsu » September 26th 2021, 2:57pm

I have a Movado Datron chrono with the rebranded El Primero movement.

The ones exported to USA had a lesser number of jewels for tariff reasons but the euro market ones were identical at 37 jewels.

Anyhow my watchmaker is out of his wheelhouse on this one.

So I figure the lords would know if anyone would
koimaster
Founder

Re: Need Watch Repair Recs

Post by koimaster » September 26th 2021, 5:11pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » September 27th 2021, 11:52am

Should be noted that the US had tariffs on Swiss Watch imports beginning in the twenties. They originally focused on the number of adjustments a watch had and later focused on the number of Jewels in a movement.

Only movement necessary Jewels were counted for the import duty. At one time there was a practice of just adding Jewels to none moving bits to make ones watch sound better, but often the Jewels did nothing.....

The tariff, not the Jewels for no reason, is why you will find Rolex Submariner 5513s with either 17 or 26 Jewels. The 17 jewel watches were intended for the US. Many a watchmaker has replaced parts where they are interchangeable on these 17 Jewel movements during service increasing the actual Jewel count.

I bet this was a similar practice by Movado....
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » September 27th 2021, 1:12pm

smellody wrote:
September 27th 2021, 11:52am
Should be noted that the US had tariffs on Swiss Watch imports beginning in the twenties. They originally focused on the number of adjustments a watch had and later focused on the number of Jewels in a movement.

Only movement necessary Jewels were counted for the import duty. At one time there was a practice of just adding Jewels to none moving bits to make ones watch sound better, but often the Jewels did nothing.....

The tariff, not the Jewels for no reason, is why you will find Rolex Submariner 5513s with either 17 or 26 Jewels. The 17 jewel watches were intended for the US. Many a watchmaker has replaced parts where they are interchangeable on these 17 Jewel movements during service increasing the actual Jewel count.

I bet this was a similar practice by Movado....
Very useful info..thanx!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...

Return to “General Watch talk”