Watch Snob

Post Reply
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 8992
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by Falstaff » September 17th 2021, 11:34am

I'm a watch snob. I have very definite opinions as to what is proper, aesthetically pleasing, worth owning and what is not - and I don't mind rendering that opinion. I'm not afraid of being called a "watch snob" - or almost anything else for that matter. My skin isn't particularly thin and my ego won't crumble with criticism - especially of my friggin' wristwatch. I don't quite understand why folks buy into the whole faux egalitarian "if you can't say something nice..." shtick, but then I'm not a very pleasant fellow in general.
"Open the pod bay door HAL."
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 8569
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by Mark1 » September 17th 2021, 12:30pm

Falstaff wrote:
September 17th 2021, 11:34am
I'm a watch snob. I have very definite opinions as to what is proper, aesthetically pleasing, worth owning and what is not - and I don't mind rendering that opinion. I'm not afraid of being called a "watch snob" - or almost anything else for that matter. My skin isn't particularly thin and my ego won't crumble with criticism - especially of my friggin' wristwatch. I don't quite understand why folks buy into the whole faux egalitarian "if you can't say something nice..." shtick, but then I'm not a very pleasant fellow in general.
I agree with all but one part of that. I must confess I did not watch the entire video, so it's possible I could be taking you out of context. When someone asks about or brings a watch up for discussion I have no issue giving an unvarnished opinion. My personal exception to that is new watches posted on the forum. If I can't find something I like about a forum members new watch I say nothing at all. There is an ass for every seat, mine included. I just don't want to be that guy.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 8992
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by Falstaff » September 17th 2021, 1:22pm

Mark1 wrote:
September 17th 2021, 12:30pm
Falstaff wrote:
September 17th 2021, 11:34am
I'm a watch snob. I have very definite opinions as to what is proper, aesthetically pleasing, worth owning and what is not - and I don't mind rendering that opinion. I'm not afraid of being called a "watch snob" - or almost anything else for that matter. My skin isn't particularly thin and my ego won't crumble with criticism - especially of my friggin' wristwatch. I don't quite understand why folks buy into the whole faux egalitarian "if you can't say something nice..." shtick, but then I'm not a very pleasant fellow in general.
I agree with all but one part of that. I must confess I did not watch the entire video, so it's possible I could be taking you out of context. When someone asks about or brings a watch up for discussion I have no issue giving an unvarnished opinion. My personal exception to that is new watches posted on the forum. If I can't find something I like about a forum members new watch I say nothing at all. There is an ass for every seat, mine included. I just don't want to be that guy.

To be clear, I don't feel obligated to opine on every watch posted and I'm not going to go out of my way just to offer an unfavorable opinion. I do try to remember that tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell so that they look forward to the trip.
"Open the pod bay door HAL."
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5202
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by svaglic » September 17th 2021, 1:34pm

When I post a watch up here, I’m looking for honest, not polite, comments. I miss Foggy and eddiea in that area, they would point out things that made me think. My feelings don’t get hurt, I either like and keep the watch or get rid of it if I don’t like it. I have cheapies and a few (I guess I would call them mid tier) watches. Smellody, Juan and a few others could tear me to shreds in contrast to their collections, but they don’t. I’m not here or into collecting watches to compete, I’m buying and wearing what makes me smile.
Unless it’s a replica, I don’t really care what one wears.
Oh sure, I see watches I don’t understand why people would buy them and I think they are ridiculous and I will make fun of these watches. However, I think I have grown to not ridicule the person who buys and wears them, at least I try to be aware now. I will criticize a watch shown, but not if someone is showing it as what they just bought.
For example, a guy on WIT loves Invicta. He just loves them and buys a lot of them. He goes on cruises with his wife, buys the cologne and perfumes. It’s not my idea of a collection I would want or what I would spend my money on. However, he is happy. He and his wife are enjoying themselves, they worked hard their whole lives to enjoy themselves and it works for them. I have no right to take their happiness away, it affects me in no area of my life. I just can’t be mean to people like that anymore.
However the Bazingas and accutronitis’s of the world, I will blast from here to as far as I can. One mooches watches from companys then sells them after crappy reviews and the other frankensteins watches and rips people off when selling them.
We all have our little things that irk us and make us tick, I’m not saying mine are right, they just fit who I am at this moment. I just would rather go after creeps who destroy this hobby as opposed to people who find joy and happiness, who are harmless in collecting their favorite watches.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17914
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by TemerityB » September 17th 2021, 8:23pm

I hope I'm not a snob - the only people I believe I've ever ranked on in forums and on Facebook (which I don't even look at anymore) are devout liars, rip-off artists, and illogical people who go on watch forums complaining their Invicta arrived broken, broke down after a week, or contained parts or materials that were falsely advertised - then post that they bought two more during a Today's Top Value the next day.

I do believe I've been snobbish in the past. These days, I hope and don't believe I'm a snob - but I am against blithering stupidity and transparent mendacity, as some of our former members used to tend to display. Please note that I wrote "former."

As for the live and let live thing, Al has it pegged, she's right. Although I do think people who buy 824 of anything - guitars, watches, whatever - is something other than being a collector. If it was cats, it's illegal in most places. I'll leave it at that.

Plus, I have Croton watches in a watch box. Call me whatever you like.

Falstaff made a great point. Like him, I've learned not to jump in on every thread just because it's there. I ignore stuff I don't like or aren't interested in. This stuff is easy, really, when you think about it.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 33141
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by conjurer » September 17th 2021, 10:45pm

I'm a goddamned watch snob, and goddamned proud of it. If you don't like it, you can suck my motherfucking dick.

Having said that, when I see a guy wearing a Seiko SKZ, I count him as my brother. When I see a guy wearing an Orient Mako, I count him as my brother.

If I see a fellow Lord posting a questionable wartche, I will not pile on, because, above all, every Lord and Lady is my brother and sister, and sometimes, family members make questionable choices, and one cannot choose his family.

Now, when some jerkoff posts somewhere about his Invicter, or Sturdling, or whateverthefuck, I shall break his balls until he fucking dies. And then I'll go out for pizza, because I don't give a fucking shit.
User avatar
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 8193
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by smellody » September 17th 2021, 10:58pm

conjurer wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:45pm
I'm a goddamned watch snob, and goddamned proud of it. If you don't like it, you can suck my motherfucking dick.

Having said that, when I see a guy wearing a Seiko SKZ, I count him as my brother. When I see a guy wearing an Orient Mako, I count him as my brother.

If I see a fellow Lord posting a questionable wartche, I will not pile on, because, above all, every Lord and Lady is my brother and sister, and sometimes, family members make questionable choices, and one cannot choose his family.

Now, when some jerkoff posts somewhere about his Invicter, or Sturdling, or whateverthefuck, I shall break his balls until he fucking dies. And then I'll go out for pizza, because I don't give a fucking shit.
Pure poetry
   Image
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 8480
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by jason_recliner » September 18th 2021, 2:10am

smellody wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:58pm
conjurer wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:45pm
I'm a goddamned watch snob, and goddamned proud of it. If you don't like it, you can suck my motherfucking dick.

Having said that, when I see a guy wearing a Seiko SKZ, I count him as my brother. When I see a guy wearing an Orient Mako, I count him as my brother.

If I see a fellow Lord posting a questionable wartche, I will not pile on, because, above all, every Lord and Lady is my brother and sister, and sometimes, family members make questionable choices, and one cannot choose his family.

Now, when some jerkoff posts somewhere about his Invicter, or Sturdling, or whateverthefuck, I shall break his balls until he fucking dies. And then I'll go out for pizza, because I don't give a fucking shit.
Pure poetry
Yep. The man sure has a way with words.

I couldn't give less fucks if somebody is a watch snob, or if somebody wears a fake whatever. Wear whatever the fuck you want, let me wear whatever the fuck I want. Love whoever the fuck you want, let me love whoever the fuck I want. There's more to life than worrying about what somebody is wearing. Or fucking. None of the aforementioned prohibits me or anybody else from laughing at said choices.
Last edited by jason_recliner on September 18th 2021, 6:21pm, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17914
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by TemerityB » September 18th 2021, 5:43pm

conjurer wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:45pm
I'm a goddamned watch snob, and goddamned proud of it. If you don't like it, you can suck my motherfucking dick.

Having said that, when I see a guy wearing a Seiko SKZ, I count him as my brother. When I see a guy wearing an Orient Mako, I count him as my brother.

If I see a fellow Lord posting a questionable wartche, I will not pile on, because, above all, every Lord and Lady is my brother and sister, and sometimes, family members make questionable choices, and one cannot choose his family.

Now, when some jerkoff posts somewhere about his Invicter, or Sturdling, or whateverthefuck, I shall break his balls until he fucking dies. And then I'll go out for pizza, because I don't give a fucking shit.
I mean, where else can you get prose like this? Not on Hodinkee, that's for sure.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 33141
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by conjurer » September 18th 2021, 11:44pm

jason_recliner wrote:
September 18th 2021, 2:10am
smellody wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:58pm
conjurer wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:45pm
I'm a goddamned watch snob, and goddamned proud of it. If you don't like it, you can suck my motherfucking dick.

Having said that, when I see a guy wearing a Seiko SKZ, I count him as my brother. When I see a guy wearing an Orient Mako, I count him as my brother.

If I see a fellow Lord posting a questionable wartche, I will not pile on, because, above all, every Lord and Lady is my brother and sister, and sometimes, family members make questionable choices, and one cannot choose his family.

Now, when some jerkoff posts somewhere about his Invicter, or Sturdling, or whateverthefuck, I shall break his balls until he fucking dies. And then I'll go out for pizza, because I don't give a fucking shit.
Pure poetry
Yep. The man sure has a way with words.

I couldn't give less fucks if somebody is a watch snob, or if somebody wears a fake whatever. Wear whatever the fuck you want, let me wear whatever the fuck I want. Love whoever the fuck you want, let me love whoever the fuck I want. There's more to life than worrying about what somebody is wearing. Or fucking. None of the aforementioned prohibits me or anybody else from laughing at said choices.
There is really no reason, Tobes, that you have to swear so much in your postings.






Having said that, I'm the fucking Ravi Shankar of adult watch postings, goddamn it.
User avatar
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 8480
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Watch Snob

Post by jason_recliner » September 19th 2021, 4:20am

conjurer wrote:
September 18th 2021, 11:44pm
jason_recliner wrote:
September 18th 2021, 2:10am
smellody wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:58pm
conjurer wrote:
September 17th 2021, 10:45pm
I'm a goddamned watch snob, and goddamned proud of it. If you don't like it, you can suck my motherfucking dick.

Having said that, when I see a guy wearing a Seiko SKZ, I count him as my brother. When I see a guy wearing an Orient Mako, I count him as my brother.

If I see a fellow Lord posting a questionable wartche, I will not pile on, because, above all, every Lord and Lady is my brother and sister, and sometimes, family members make questionable choices, and one cannot choose his family.

Now, when some jerkoff posts somewhere about his Invicter, or Sturdling, or whateverthefuck, I shall break his balls until he fucking dies. And then I'll go out for pizza, because I don't give a fucking shit.
Pure poetry
Yep. The man sure has a way with words.

I couldn't give less fucks if somebody is a watch snob, or if somebody wears a fake whatever. Wear whatever the fuck you want, let me wear whatever the fuck I want. Love whoever the fuck you want, let me love whoever the fuck I want. There's more to life than worrying about what somebody is wearing. Or fucking. None of the aforementioned prohibits me or anybody else from laughing at said choices.
There is really no reason, Tobes, that you have to swear so much in your postings.






Having said that, I'm the fucking Ravi Shankar of adult watch postings, goddamn it.
I just looked back at my post history - jiminy jillikers, you're right. I have been swearing quite a lot. It's Sarah's fault. She comes back from the field, where she cavorts with all kinds of working class undesirables, and she's all like "I'm fucking hungry, I want a fucking coffee", and "why the fuck did you over-season my rankin cod, you useless fucktard?". Well, I've seen the light. Goodness gracious, enough is enough. No more curse words. By golly.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Post Reply

Return to “General Watch talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests