Doxa like watches reviewed

koimaster
Founder

Doxa like watches reviewed

Post by koimaster » August 25th 2021, 3:44pm

DOXA - MARANEZ

© Dr. Peter McClean Millar - August 2020 - Updated March 2021

This is the first time I have ever gone back to a review and did a major update, but when Maranez issued a second generation of the Samui I bought one and instead of doing another review I thought it would be better to compare it with the original to see what changed. The original text is in the usual orange colour, the new content is in white.

It has long been said that if you are an inventor or manufacturer of something great, you know you and / or it has been accepted as great when someone copies it. In the watch world you can find copies of many famous brands. I am not just talking fakes, but copies of the design and the look and the feel. I guess if that is the metric of success, then the classic Doxa SUB has been a failure. In the 19 years I have been buying and writing about the Doxa SUB I have always said: the nice thing about wearing a Doxa is there are no fakes around. And I still believe that is true. However, there have been a couple of watches from microbrands which have used the Tonneau style case and people have commented how similar the watch looks to a Doxa SUB, but in reality they have only looked a little like a Doxa SUB. I think we all knew the day would come when another manufacturer would trade on the unique style and design of the Classic Doxa dive watch.

Ladies and gentlemen let me introduce to you the Maranez Samui. It may not be an exact Doxa SUB replica, but it is definitely a homage that at first glance has the look and feel of the real thing.

https://www.doxa300t.com/maranez/maranez.htm

DOXA - TACTICAL FROG

© Dr. Peter McClean Millar - August 2021

In England there is an expresion: you wait all day for a bus and then two come along at the same time. I guess it is the same for Doxa SUB homages. For almost 20 years there was nothing. Doxa pretty much had the playing field to itself. The SUB was a watch that Cussler fans and the dive watch cogniscenti knew about but it really wasn't that well known. Now with the end of the Marei era and the new management trying to take the brand more mainstream, two clones have arrived in quick succession. First were the Maranez Samui versions of the SUB 300T and SUB 300 which I reviewed here: Samui 1st and 2nd Generations and here: Samui 3rd Generation. Now comes the wonderfuly named: Tactical Frog.

http://www.doxa300t.com/froggy/froggy.htm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Re: Doxa like watches reviewed

Post by koimaster » August 26th 2021, 6:40am

3Flushes wrote:
August 26th 2021, 2:12am
The frog deal could be a decent beater for the price if not for the bezel.
The new versions have a proper bezel. Due out next month.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “General Watch talk”