THE CASE FOR THE KOBOLD BRAND

koimaster (Online)
Founder

THE CASE FOR THE KOBOLD BRAND

Post by koimaster » August 4th 2021, 7:04pm

In 1999, when I left Germany to attend Carnegie Mellon University, my dream was to return as soon as possible and join my mentor, master watchmaker Gerd-Ruediger Lang, in the company he founded, Chronoswiss. Before I flew to Pittsburgh, Ruediger encouraged me to start a small watch brand "so that you can make mistakes and learn from them to better prepare you for your time with my company". The folks at CMU didn't mind having a freshman start a watch brand and in return only asked of me that I retell the story of Kobold to any journalists they brought my way in an effort to promote the university. The head of marketing at CMU was a woman whose name I unfortunately forgot and unsuccessfully tried to research, but she had a knack of cajoling journalists from across the United States to include snippets about little Kobold Watch, with its retro flair and mechanical watches, in their stories of sexy, highly scalable dot-coms that originated out of CMU.

At the time, there were no watch companies left in the U.S. except for giants Timex and Fossil, a tiny outfit in Florida called Krieger and RGM, a watch repair shop that also sold a fistful of watches a year under its own brand name. To the PR lady from CMU, to have a new upstart in this rather dusty, decaying field of business, was exciting. "Normally we expect a new company originating here to give 50% of its shares to the university, but in your case we'll make an exception. You tell a good story and your watches are beautiful," the PR agent said once. As long as I remained enrolled in classes full-time and maintained good grades, I would be permitted to run Kobold.

https://koboldwatch.com/pages/the-case- ... bold-brand

https://koboldwatch.com/collections/key-chain

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: THE CASE FOR THE KOBOLD BRAND

Post by gerdson » August 5th 2021, 6:53am

When googling for "Michael Kobold" in German google, the first hit leads to a medical thesis about guys getting their dick severely slashed when using a vacuum cleaner for masturbation...

In all fairness, it does not have to do with this guy, but a certain model "Kobold", produced by German vacuum cleaner maker Vorwerk.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 5th 2021, 1:47pm

Hard to believe they are getting such crazy prices for that crap. This guy is the greatest story telling bullshitter since Lalo - what a crock. Remembers every detail of how Kobold brought publicity and prestige to CMU but can't recall the PR lady's name who orchestrated it all, graduated in three years, a special citizenship award was created just for him, self serving quotes attributed to a dead guy, links his beginnings to Chronoswiss, claims Kobold's hand made - like Renato - and other than RGM, Kobold's the first watch since Hamilton made in the USA - or is it made in Germany - or Nepal? Mikey goes on to make more claims of charitable works and acts of diplomacy than anyone whose ever won the Nobel Peace Prize.

What the hell is it about the watch business that attracts these hosers? Hell, perhaps the question should be, what is it about watches that attracts such easy marks?
Last edited by 3Flushes on August 7th 2021, 11:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 5th 2021, 2:55pm

When I was a kid and played Dungeons and Dragons, kobolds were little cave dwelling creatures that you could easily defeat with a roll of the dice. They tended to attack in large groups so you had to have some endurance.

These watches don't look anything like the kobolds in the D&D manual and they cost way too much.

And what is the deal with these backstories? Man, just sell me a nice looking watch at a decent price. Tell me the truth: you bought some rough cases from a dude in Shanghai and then polished them up at your kitchen table using a dremel. The movements arrived via Fedex from another dude in Singapore who asks that you don't ask questions. Dial and hands arrive in the mail from "Simon", who lives in Chengdu and claims not to understand English whenever he's asked a question. Simon is good at finding things that "fall off trucks". and the price? Just $399.99. $349.98 with promo code
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » August 5th 2021, 3:30pm

gerdson wrote:
August 5th 2021, 6:53am
When googling for "Michael Kobold" in German google, the first hit leads to a medical thesis about guys getting their dick severely slashed when using a vacuum cleaner for masturbation...

In all fairness, it does not have to do with this guy, but a certain model "Kobold", produced by German vacuum cleaner maker Vorwerk.
What. The. Fuck.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DoctorIvey » August 6th 2021, 6:57am

conjurer wrote:
August 4th 2021, 9:58pm
Is Kobold still around? The last I heard, the owner had been arrested for some bullshit charge, and, alas, James Gandolfini had died of a heart attack.
You have GOT to read this current article. It is amazing. According to Kobold, who is back in the Burgh and selling wartches for 4-39 grand a pop, his company foundered because he left it in the hands of hourly workers who ransacked the company while he was saving the world as a CIA operative in the company of Navy SEALS. The marks who got a box of rusty screws should understand because human lives were at stake and besides, Kobold was always just a side hustle. There’s even mention made of “Mama Kobold.” No details if one of the SEALS was a former Invicter brand ambassador. Seriously, it’s a must read, but be warned: “idiots will be banned.”
Here’s a hint agent Kobold. If you have to put that statement on your website you’re doing something very, very wrong.
By the way, each wartch is lovingly hand crafted in Germany, Pittsburgh, or…Nepal.

Return to “General Watch talk”