Changed my perception in 6 minutes

TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Changed my perception in 6 minutes

Post by TemerityB » July 13th 2021, 5:52pm

Changed my perception of Armitron, who I've always felt a sort of kinship with since they are here in Queens. Now I know more than I ever bothered to find about out them. Holy smokes...

You see, my wife is the daughter of holocaust survivors as well, and her dad and aunts and uncles - the ones lucky enough to get out - all came here and made amazing lives and started successful businesses. So Mr. Gluck's story naturally brought tears to my eyes.

I already own an Amitron I bought as a trifle a few years ago at a department store. I think I paid $9 for it.

Now, I've looked up the company, and they remain in Queens. They were the "official timekeeper" of the Mets for a long time; they might still be for all I know. The service center is still called "E. Gluck Service." And yeah, the people there are locals. Now I feel even closer to it, I'm totally engaged after seeing the video.

I know that was a promotional video, but in this cynical world, it was nice to see nice people succeeding and helping other folks along the way. That's how it used to be done; that's how it always ought to be done.

Fucking inspiring. This won't be my last Armitron; I kinda feel like I owe it to someone. I know these are inexpensive watches with little "provenance" in the way watch people look at it. But as far as I can see, they make a product that works and that they back. Armitron is the anti-Invicta: Watches made for the everyman, but without having to concoct bullshit stories in order to do so.

The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Re: Changed my perception in 6 minutes

Post by JAS1125 » July 13th 2021, 6:50pm

TemerityB wrote:
July 13th 2021, 5:52pm
Changed my perception of Armitron, who I've always felt a sort of kinship with since they are here in Queens. Now I know more than I ever bothered to find about out them. Holy smokes...

You see, my wife is the daughter of holocaust survivors as well, and her dad and aunts and uncles - the ones lucky enough to get out - all came here and made amazing lives and started successful businesses. So Mr. Gluck's story naturally brought tears to my eyes.

I already own an Amitron I bought as a trifle a few years ago at a department store. I think I paid $9 for it.

Now, I've looked up the company, and they remain in Queens. They were the "official timekeeper" of the Mets for a long time; they might still be for all I know. The service center is still called "E. Gluck Service." And yeah, the people there are locals. Now I feel even closer to it, I'm totally engaged after seeing the video.

I know that was a promotional video, but in this cynical world, it was nice to see nice people succeeding and helping other folks along the way. That's how it used to be done; that's how it always ought to be done.

Fucking inspiring. This won't be my last Armitron; I kinda feel like I owe it to someone. I know these are inexpensive watches with little "provenance" in the way watch people look at it. But as far as I can see, they make a product that works and that they back. Armitron is the anti-Invicta: Watches made for the everyman, but without having to concoct bullshit stories in order to do so.

Well said, T

I have more respect for this now too
IMG_20210709_161647954.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet

Return to “General Watch talk”