WoW: Words of Wisdom

jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

WoW: Words of Wisdom

Post by jason_recliner » July 2nd 2021, 9:31pm

OP had a reasonable, if lengthy, sensible query:

I just received a quote of $480 from BUSA to replace the crystal on my 50th Anniversary Navitimer that I've had about five years since new. Is it me or is that insanely expensive?! The AR coating is scratched in a couple of spots, otherwise the original crystal is fine. Anyone know of a place that replaces Breitling crystals that won't charge so much? My other alternative is to just remove the AR coating entirely, but I'd like to keep the watch the way it's supposed to be, so I have a dilemma. Almost $500 for a crystal replacement just seems nuts.

Thank fuck he asked the geniuses at the WUS Breitling forum:

this is a road cross some take the ar coating away on the outside

but regarding that the difficulty to produce the crystal the demand of craftsmanship is the price rather hi as the crystal is bigger than a normal

regards Jonas

Word.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Datsun240Z71 (Online)
Founding Member - WIS

Re: WoW: Words of Wisdom

Post by Datsun240Z71 » July 3rd 2021, 3:09am

When I purchased a pre-owned Armand Nicolet, the A/R coating was messed up on the outside of the crystal. Very noticeable to me as soon as I opened the package, although it was a bit difficult to see. The seller paidfor me to have the A/R coating removed by a shop here in Nashville, and I was very happy with the result. I believe it was also coated on the inside. $40 was the charge to do that.
Randy in Nashville
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » July 3rd 2021, 2:25pm

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
July 3rd 2021, 3:09am
When I purchased a pre-owned Armand Nicolet, the A/R coating was messed up on the outside of the crystal. Very noticeable to me as soon as I opened the package, although it was a bit difficult to see. The seller paidfor me to have the A/R coating removed by a shop here in Nashville, and I was very happy with the result. I believe it was also coated on the inside. $40 was the charge to do that.
I feel really sorry for anyone who collects watches who don't have or can't find a good watchmaker or watch repair shop within a reasonable distance. It must be maddening when cases like that crop up.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Mark1 » July 3rd 2021, 3:43pm

Difficulty to produce the crystal? Did they start making crystals like yesterday? I would have thought they'd figured it out by now.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “General Watch talk”